YC Restaurant Dress Code

zackarykeef

Just wondering what the dress code is in the YC restaurant…are pants required? We’re not one to dress up in tuxes and suits, but we go to dinner looking nice. A collared shirt, nice shorts, and nice shoes typically. Just making sure that’s acceptable to determine if we need pants for dinner every night or not. Thanks!

(Meraviglia Caribbean FWIW)

Edited by zackarykeef
Misspelling

45 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Just wondering what the dress code is in the YC restaurant…are pants required? We’re not one to dress up in tuxes and suits, but we go to dinner looking nice. A collared shirt, nice shorts, and nice shoes typically. Just making sure that’s acceptable to determine if we need pants for dinner every night or not. Thanks!

Yes. pants are appropriate.  The YC follows the dress code for the entire ship.  Shorts for breakfast and lunch in the YC Restaurant are fine.  Formal nights in the YC will see guests attired in suits, tuxes, sport coats with and without ties just as one now experiences on any other ship.  

3 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Pants and a collared shirt are fine. You'll see some people even wearing "dress" jeans. Pants of some type and "closed toe" shoes are the key things.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Pants and a collared shirt are fine. You'll see some people even wearing "dress" jeans. Pants of some type and "closed toe" shoes are the key things.

That's it exactly, many thanks. On these times of growing luggage weight restrictions in planes, the trend is to be less formal, even on those formal night events, but people tend to be nicely dressed anyway!... On my last 2 cruises I didn't even wear a tie for formal night and I wasn't by far the most casual of the entire crowd!...

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, zackarykeef said:

On Divina in the Med in 2018, I think, my son-in-law was sent away to replace his shorts with long pants.  This was the YC restaurant.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, zackarykeef said:

Observed YC dress code for restaurant-

Men - shorts and casual shirt for breakfast and lunch. No swimsuits.

Dinner-    Long pants or slacks with collared shirt or nice pollo shirt (we go with country club casual)

Ladies - casual attire, no swimsuits . Sundresses or shorts, slacks with casual tops.

Dinner- country club casual with either slacks and fancy top or long sundress with wrap . We only saw 2 couples do the very formal night with gowns and tuxes.

For,us, it is all about being appropriate but comfortable.

West coast style is less formal than East coast style.

I always wear more jewelry and makeup when we travel to East cities.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

On Divina in the Med in 2018, I think, my son-in-law was sent away to replace his shorts with long pants.  This was the YC restaurant.

For dinner, that is what should have happened.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lisichka said:

Not with other cruise lines.  My sons never dressed up for dinner on RCCL or Carnival.

LOL, there is a thread here about MSC complaints to management. One poster said a person started their complaint with "On Carnival..." to which the manager said "This isn't Carnival" and moved to the next person in line.

I like Carnival...I have 2 cruises booked with them in the next year...but I also like MSC. They are completely different lines and you should embrace the differences. If not, why even pick different lines at all? If you want MSC to be like Carnival them just cruise Carnival.

For the record, I have 3 MSC cruises booked in the next year, so like MSC better than Carnival 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lisichka said:

Not with other cruise lines.  My sons never dressed up for dinner on RCCL or Carnival.

LOL, there is a thread here about MSC complaints to management. One poster said a person started their complaint with "On Carnival..." to which the manager said "This isn't Carnival" and moved to the next person in line.

I like Carnival...I have 2 cruises booked with them in the next year...but I also like MSC. They are completely different lines and you should embrace the differences. If not, why even pick different lines at all? If you want MSC to be like Carnival them just cruise Carnival.

For the record, I have 3 MSC cruises booked in the next year, so like MSC better than Carnival 🙂 

53 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Never did I say I didn’t embrace differences….did I?

1 minute ago, Lisichka said:

Never did I say I didn’t embrace differences….did I?

Nope. But it was implied when you said RCCL and Carnival didn't require this. And that comment was in response to someone stating that was the correct MSC procedure.

So, if you didn't mean you expected MSC to be like Carnival and RCCL, then sorry. But in that case I'm not sure I understand why you made the comment...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Nope. But it was implied when you said RCCL and Carnival didn't require this. And that comment was in response to someone stating that was the correct MSC procedure.

So, if you didn't mean you expected MSC to be like Carnival and RCCL, then sorry. But in that case I'm not sure I understand why you made the comment...

Because the poster said “for dinner that is what should have happened”.  My response merely pointed out that not all cruise lines have this expectation (and as such not all people are aware).

I raised all 4 of my sons as a single Mom and took them on cruises frequently.  They loved it, and had the cruise line expected them to dress up for dinner we would never have made it to the dining room.

And “implied”? Expect MSC to be like Carnival or RCCL?  No clue how you deduct that kind of information from my simple statement.  

Edited by Lisichka

3 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

Because the poster said “for dinner that is what should have happened”.  My response merely pointed out that not all cruise lines have this expectation (and as such not all people are aware).

I raised all 4 of my sons as a single Mom and took them on cruises frequently.  They loved it, and had the cruise line expected them to dress up for dinner we would never had made it to the dining room.

And “implied”? Expect MSC to be like Carnival or RCCL?  No clue how you deduct that kind of information from my simple statement.  

Well, I explained exactly how I inferred it. But cool...we are on the same page then and we agree...MSC is different and that is *good*.

Since this is a MSC board, the focus should be on what happens on MSC ships and what happens is you need to wear pants 🙂

And I think there is a difference between "dressing up" and "wearing pants", but I get your point.

We both agree that is a good thing that MSC is different from Carnival and RCCL.

However one place MSC *is* like other cruise lines is in the buffet...if you don't want to wear pants, you can always eat there. You'll never go hungry on a cruise...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Sorry for the duplicate post...CC was messed up for a bit...

Indeed!  CC was messed up from about 3:15 P. M. EDT until just now for me.  "Technical problem" messages kept being received to whatever Message Board I tried to access.  

4 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

And “implied”? Expected MSC to be like Carnival or RCCL?  No clue how you deduct that kind of information from my simple statement.  

Different people interpret whatever any of us write in ways, sometimes, that we would not anticipate.  Don't be offended, please.

7 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

I raised all 4 of my sons as a single Mom and took them on cruises frequently.  They loved it, and had the cruise line expected them to dress up for dinner we would never had made it to the dining room.

Have I observed young people dining in a ship's MDR wearing shorts?  Yes.  Given the age of those young people, it was appropriate.  Not knowing the age of your sons, as they become more mature, their dress ought to change to reflect the situation in which they find themselves.  

Have I observed young people in the YC Restaurant during dinner wearing shorts?  No, I have not.  Were these young gentlemen wearing coat/tie?  No.  They were wearing long pants with an appropriate shirt.  The YC Restaurant's dining experience ought to be a "step or more" above the dining experience in a MDR of any ship, including a MSC vessel.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Have I observed young people in the YC Restaurant during dinner wearing shorts?  No, I have not. 

Since MSC is legendary with their consistent inconsistency, I have seen shorts on an adult male in the Yacht Club restaurant during dinner. 😊

Potential YC guests should expect that long pants are required for adult and nearly adult males (nobody mentioned ages for son-in-law or sons). I wouldn't call that "dressing up" but for some, it is. I've never worn a jacket on ANY cruise but I have no problem with wearing a tie for dinner. Different lines have different dress codes. As long as people are compliant, no problem.

How consistent MSC is with enforcing the dress code can vary from strict to "meh...whatever".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lisichka said:

I can tell you one thing….I have seen some pictures of people on MSC cruises, and I will not dress up like that.  Not even in the dining room or YC.

Black cocktail dress with sandals is as far as I will go. 🤪

FWIW I also interpreted your comment about RCCL and Carnival not requiring long pants at dinner as “well that’s it, MSC is too stuffy so we’re leaving.” 😉 Or something to that effect. And your comment above “I will not dress up like that” sounds a little passive aggressive. BUT: being on these boards for a long time, I know I have sometimes misconstrued what someone meant, and sadly that’s down to the internet in many cases. It can be hard to know exactly what someone means when he/she writes stuff. I have to say I think you’re an amazing mom for raising 4 boys on your own AND introducing them to cruising. That’s really amazing. 🏆 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

After six attire is sorted. (Regular tux for first/last night. Special tux for formal night. Ivory dinner jacket for the rest.)

Day wear is the puzzle, since excursions are not yet settled.

LOL, love it...but at this point in my life the next time I'm in a dressy suit - let alone a tux - I'll be being buried 🙂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

LOL, love it...but at this point in my life the next time I'm in a dressy suit - let alone a tux - I'll be being buried 🙂

I actually bought a white dinner jacket for when we went on the Meraviglia, since it was our first time in the Yacht Club. I must be in the minority on this site, the majority of people who comment about dress codes tend to be more of the “ no way I’m dressing up, I’m on vacation, dammit” variety. 😆 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1