Viking Air Plus Program Advantage

Cruising in my mind

In  response to dd57, we Viking Air Plus told us that we WERE ticketed. It even provided us with the specific ticket numbers. That did not prevent Viking Air Plus from allowing our supposedly reserved Business Class seat assignments from mysteriously "disappearing". Then Viking Air Plus refused to lift a finger to fix the problem Viking Air Plus itself  had caused by not actually reserving our seats, even though the Viking Air Plus website showed us with specific assigned seats before they "disappeared."

• Haha 2

John - EVERYTHING you say is explained by actions taken by Turkish Air as explained by Mikey. Viking can't fully control the airlines - and you can’t either. You are insisting that Viking never reserved your seats. Then how did the website initially show the reserved seats? Obviously Turkish Air changed them, but you insist it had to be Viking and they had the power to change your seats.

We have had issues with strikes, delayed flights, and delayed disembarkation and Viking always did their best make things better. Folks here in this forum try to help by sharing our knowledge and experiences. If you think we’re fools, I suggest staying away from Viking - and our forum.

• Like 4

You are lucky that you have received notifications from Viking Air. Never once have we received any notification Viking Air of any changes, in direct violation of its express promise to "monitor": all flights and "notify" us of any change. No notification from Viking Air either time our seats "evaporated". Since Viking Air neither "monitors' nor "notifies" of changes, its assertions that it does do so (for everyone, always) are fraudulently misleading.

• Haha 2

On 8/19/2024 at 2:40 PM, John5166 said:

As a result, we got zero sleep and were exhausted when we reached our destination.

As likely one of the few on this board that has done a long haul on a Gulfstream jet, jet lag is still a thing on what the super-rich own.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Our seats in first class were changed earlier this week.  Complained to a supervisor and she gave me the usual speech how the airlines can change whatever they want, whenever they want.

The supervisor was correct. It's in the carrier contract that the airlines can change your seat at any time for any reason. People have been bumped from business class to cattle class on long hauls... not necessarily on Viking, but frequent travelers.

• Like 1

Seats can change when there is a change in the aircraft type (and seating configuration), which is undoubtedly happened in your case. Our seats "evaporated" when the aircraft and the seat configuration map remained exactly the same. Your example has nothing to do with what happened to me.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, John5166 said:

Seats can change when there is a change in the aircraft type (and seating configuration), which is undoubtedly happened in your case. Our seats "evaporated" when the aircraft and the seat configuration map remained exactly the same. Your example has nothing to do with what happened to me.

I am no Viking shill, and I generally always travel in cattle class. I've mentioned once or twice that even the toilet would be fine.

The thing with Viking Air is that it works for some people, and it does not work for others. Decide if Viking Air works for you or make your own air travel arrangements. I will say that in the space Viking operates --- River, Expedition, and Ocean --- there are a number of competitors that have nothing to do with Viking.

When it comes to Viking Air, you have to be flexible otherwise your are destined to have a bad time.

In your case, it happened. Get past it and never book Viking Air again.

Also understand that 100 years ago, the richest man in the world, John D. Rockefeller, would not have been able to purchase a business class ticket on the route you took.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, John5166 said:

However, even after Turkish Air's app showed me with a specific reserved seat, a couple of weeks later Turkish Air unilaterally and with no notice to me, changed me to "no seat selected." Clearly Viking Air Plus did not properly reserve my seat.

If you will look at the airline's website and their terms and conditions, you will see that you NEVER have a 100% confirmed "reservation" for a specific seat.  You have a REQUEST, which can be unilaterally changed by the airline for WHATEVER reason they chose.  So don't blame Viking for not "properly" reserving a seat.

21 hours ago, John5166 said:

doing everything you suggest will not prevent you from getting SCREWED by Viking Air Plus. If you use Viking Air Plus after this warning, you are a fool.

Screwed by Viking.  Right.  Do you really think they have people who spend every working hour scouring every single flight reservation to look for a change?  Reality check, please.

The reality is that they are reactive, and respond to changes that are transmitted to them by the airline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, John5166 said:

You miss my point: Viking Air Plus expressly promises: (1) "We will continue to monitor all schedule changes." (2) "You will promptly be notified of any schedule changes." Both of those  promises are FALSE.

They monitor the information provided to them about changes.  And when they are informed, they inform the passenger.  So that is not FALSE.  And if they are not informed, what are they supposed to do?

such as in our case where Viking Air Plus (contrary to its promises) did not reserve our Business Class seat assignments with the airline. The problem is NOT the "foolish" airlines. It is the BLATANT LIES by  Viking Air Plus.

You keep thinking that your seat request is an absolute guarantee of that seat.

Airline tickets are NOT like theater tickets, or to a sporting event where you are buying a specific seat in the venue.  But you keep wanting to conflate those two experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That did not prevent Viking Air Plus from allowing our supposedly reserved Business Class seat assignments from mysteriously "disappearing".

And just how is Viking supposed to prevent your "supposedly reserved" seats from "disappearing"?  Station an armed guard at the airline HQ to prevent an airline employee from touching the keyboard?

Again, you conflate airline seats with other venues.

Then Viking Air Plus refused to lift a finger to fix the problem Viking Air Plus itself  had caused by not actually reserving our seats, even though the Viking Air Plus website showed us with specific assigned seats before they "disappeared."

Viking didn't cause this.  Please tell us how they were the ones that moved you.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John5166 said:

Seats can change for reasons other than an aircraft configuration change.  But you keep on with the "evaporated" line as if your seat assignment was carved into granite.

If you have never had a seat assignment change, you haven't flown enough.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Seats can change for reasons other than an aircraft configuration change.  But you keep on with the "evaporated" line as if your seat assignment was carved into granite.

If you have never had a seat assignment change, you haven't flown enough.

FlyTalker-

Does anything change after you are ticketed or can the airline still change your seats?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

FlyTalker-

Does anything change after you are ticketed or can the airline still change your seats?

Thanks

Let's start with ticketing.

Some airlines require ticketing before any seat assignments.  Some will do seat assignments with just a reservation and no ticketing (such as many cruiseline air bookings)  So it is a function of the individual airline.  In addition, there are airlines that do not have seat assignments until the day of flight.

Now...post ticketing.  You are NEVER guaranteed a specific seat.  The airline can change it at any time, for any reason.  Even to the point of changing it at the gate as you are set to board.

They may not chose to do so for many reasons, among them customer satisfaction.  But that doesn't mean they can't, or won't.  Again, the the analogy of a theater ticket - you are not buying a specific seat on a specific flight.  But too many folks think of an airplane ticket like a ticket for a baseball game.  Apples and oranges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it interesting to try to reconcile these two statements from you:

10 minutes ago, John5166 said:

Furthermore, Viking WAS notified of the change from my reserved seat to NO SEAT ASSIGNMENT WHATSOEVER because MyVikingJourney started showing "No assigned seat." 

On 8/19/2024 at 12:40 PM, John5166 said:

However, in June 2024, two days before our departure, we learned from the Airline that Viking Air Plus had NOT reserved our seats.

So, which was it.  Either you found out about the seat issue from the airline, or you saw it on MVJ? 

6 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@FlyerTalker

Tries to educate us re: all things

airline related.  I and many others on CC have learned much from him to understand how things work in the industry. Especially so when cruise line linked.

Or from her!  Never assume.

I think the complaint has solely to do with Viking Air not notifying anyone about seat changes only flight times or airline changes.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2024 at 2:40 PM, John5166 said:

FALSE PROMISES BY VIKING AIR PLUS. Viking Air Plus does NOT honor its promises. It FALSELY asserts "We will continue to monitor all schedule changes" and "You will be promptly notified of any such change." Both statements are FALSE. It does nothing to monitor schedule changes and does NOT advise you of any changes. My wife and I paid Viking Air Plus in Dec. 2023 to book Business Class seats next to one another in Row 2. However, in June 2024, two days before our departure, we learned from the Airline that Viking Air Plus had NOT reserved our seats. Thus, instead of Row 2, we were stuck in the row next to the galley....

I don't know that I'm following your statement that Viking doesn't honor its promises.  The statements you were quoting relate to monitoring schedule changes, but then you go on to talk about seating assignments.  Did your actual flight schedule (not seats) also change?  If not, I don't think your assertion that Viking's statement were false is an accurate statement to make.

• Like 2

This thread will have me checking our flights/seats from Toronto to Auckland return from Sydney more frequently.

There have already been several changes since we re-booked these flights 3 months ago.  We have never been notified of changes by Air Canada.  I have had to log in to be notified of the itinerary/equipment changes.  

• Like 3

I've had flights changed that I've booked myself on domestic airlines without notice from the airline.  Same with seats.  I've learned to keep checking the booking myself rather than relying on anyone else including the airline.  

• Like 6

This is very helpful! I guess I’m not traveling enough 😉because I don’t think I’ve suffered many problems. I did notice recently when booking a flight on my own, that it basically said, guess what, you never know but we might have to move your seat so stay tuned. It’s probably always been there and I just didn’t pay enough attention. Travel, like everything else, is not as perfect as we would like and often that is what makes the journey memorable. Expect bumps occasionally and then go with the flow. As always, I love all the fun, interesting and informative content of this website. 

23 hours ago, MikeyB said:

FlyTalker-

Thanks

I have had seats change for flights that *I* booked and were ticketed.  For us, I had booked us 2 aisle seats across from each other.  They moved both of the seats around.  

Flight challenges are one of the reasons why we generally don't fly during June, July, and August, unless they are one leg flights such as Burbank to Sacramento or Denver.  But then again we are mostly retired and have flexibility when we travel.

3 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Flight challenges are one of the reasons why we generally don't fly during June, July, and August, unless they are one leg flights such as Burbank to Sacramento or Denver.  But then again we are mostly retired and have flexibility when we travel.

And why do you say that those months are worse than others?  You can run into thunderstorm issues in Dallas, but then again, you can have snow issues in many cities in the winter.

Really want to delve into your thinking.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And why do you say that those months are worse than others?  You can run into thunderstorm issues in Dallas, but then again, you can have snow issues in many cities in the winter.

Really want to delve into your thinking.

Airport and planes appear to be more congested in the summer.  More leisure travelers.  Almost all of my summer flights are full and I don’t experience that in other months.  I fly Burbank to Sacramento five times per year for the day, the June flight and last week full with not enough overground bin space for families.  The price in summer is $179 return, I just booked my October flight at $79 return.  That is my thinking