LIVE - Equinox 8/15/21 - Ultimate Caribbean - It’s finally here!

aring75

4 hours ago, 39august said:

Aring- How many chic nights on your cruise, please? We will be on a 12 night in late Sept. and I need to determine how many glitzy tops to pack. Thanks for your very detailed review. 

I think two. I will verify this before the end of the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I had a tofu hot dog once and I think they would have been better if made from carboard. Soylent Green was one great movie, in the day.

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

Had some "bacon" made from soy beans once.  It wasn't bad but I just couldn't get the movie "Soylent Green" out of my head.  ☹️

No substitute for real bacon or sausage. 

• Like 4

St. Lucian Beach Break and BBQ

Tickets said to meet in the theater again this morning. Still need to check in at the table at the entrance and get your tour sticker. 

82A106F2-DD30-44A9-B32D-D5869E8F4986.thumb.jpeg.c70f85f587a9bd2b4970fdc01846bb10.jpeg

As @Ipeeinthepoolsnoted earlier, St. Lucia kind of wavered a little back and forth with regard to allowing passengers ashore. They settled on allowing VACCINATED passengers to tour the island freely, however they still required masks and they checked everyone’s temperature before letting them into the port area. They were requiring hand sanitizer use in most places. 

Plus, in addition to Celebrity’s tracelet, we got to wear our tour bracelet (yellow), and a plastic bracelet from St. Lucia which verified you were approved to go ashore. 

187235EA-B11B-4035-BED8-637702DB70B7.thumb.jpeg.3e7b619bdd28a878b8b88bdd29bfc4d5.jpeg

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

No substitute for real bacon or sausage. 

My number one spoil me event on a cruise:  I have breakfast in my cabin/balcony (weather permitting) every single day.  I am a creature of habit and rotate between two different breakfasts each day.  Eggs benedict, potatoes, tomato, sausage, fresh strawberries.  Next day, three eggs over easy, bacon (extra crispy), tomato, strawberries, wheat toast, slathered in butter.  On arrival day, I always try to make it easy for the butler and tell him/her I won't have a ton of requests, but this is my breakfast menu (I have it printed out and hand it to him/her) for the week, thanks so much in advance for your assistance.  I have never once been disappointed.   That is my fixed requests, a few other little odds and ends pop up during the cruise and they have always been so accommodating.  

• Like 2

After a quick drive through Castries, the capital town, we arrived at Bay Gardens Beach Resort & Spa. Located on Rodney Bay on the northern side of the island, it’s about a 20 minute drive from Pointe Seraphine, the port area. 

6362628E-3E2C-47EB-8E13-F7588954D20C.thumb.jpeg.a2ac65a879d6ddde5f81afa37ebecc05.jpeg

We were given two lounge chairs, but umbrellas were $10 for the day. Of course we got an umbrella. They were large and the shade was good. 

3CBF0938-72E7-42D5-918E-5BC571D3EDEB.thumb.jpeg.684a12979fa7dbe823d324fe54705337.jpeg

They came around to offer bar service. Frozen (alcoholic) beverages were $7-8. Non-alcoholic drinks were $3-5. 

The water was cool, but not cold. Felt great with the heat. The ocean play area was available, but required signing up and paying the fee. I don’t know how much this was, but there were quite a few kids and one or two adults having a great time out there. They had four lifeguards watching the area. 

Lunch was served around noon. They served fresh and cold mixed greens salad with a spicy avocado dressing (so good I would have gladly bought three bottles, but it was homemade). We also had a choice of white rice or rice with beans, peppers and onions. Then we could choose a vegetable skewer, roasted fish, or BBQ chicken. 

All in all, the tour took about four hours. Three or so hours at the beach. We enjoyed it. Our guide, Modwena, was great and the resort area was very nice. 

My one complaint would be that the bus had no a/c. The windows opened and the breeze was good, but wearing a mask on a bus with no a/c is not pleasant. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I’ll toss in my two cents s about the shore excursions.  After making a couple of port stops and seeing what used to be bustling port cities that are now deserted it reinforces the fact that the pandemic still exists in these islands.  These islands are still trying to get their life back together and cruise ship excursions really aren’t their top priority.  For example after we left Dominica yesterday the island was going into lockdown for the weekend where the people can’t leave their homes.  I’ve also heard numerous complaints about the shore excursions: poor guides, poor organization, not enough time at the beach, etc., but people need to realize this is nearly a complete rebuilding process for these islands.  There are going to be a lot of bumps in the road for shore excursions for the indefinite future and if people can’t accept that, they should stay on the ship.  We were the first large ship to stop in Antigua in well over as year.  I’m sure that everyone is trying their best and it will take a while to train new guides and to polish up the tour stops.  There has never been more of a first world problem than a poor shore excursion from a cruise ship.

I so agree with this post and Brockmom's. 

We have been fortunate to have sailed the Caribbean several times.  Our November 27 Eastern Caribbean cruise goes to two new-to-us islands, but we are not expecting too much.  The ship is our destination more than ever this trip.  We just want to cruise again, and we will do our best to shop the local markets and vendors on each island we visit.

Edited by amevola
added an extra sentence
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, aring75 said:

Went to Sushi on 5 again tonight. Did a much better job taking pictures. 😊

I had my spicy mango drink again. Took a picture of the top this time so you could see the red pepper flakes. 

Yum! I’m ready to order everything except the slider. Beautiful photos😎

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Upon further review, St Lucia has changed their minds an vaccinated guests can now go ashore indefinitely.  Just another example of the need to stay flexible and go with the flow.

OK Confused here...can we do private excursions in St Lucia if vaccinated or did it change back to ship only?  I have already booked a scuba dove privately since Celebrity cancelled my ship sponsored dive excursion.  We are on the Sept 5th Equinox 12 day cruise.  I know things are changing almost daily but just checking if St Lucia changed to ship only again.  Thanks in advance

37 minutes ago, COLArmy said:

OK Confused here...can we do private excursions in St Lucia if vaccinated or did it change back to ship only?  I have already booked a scuba dove privately since Celebrity cancelled my ship sponsored dive excursion.  We are on the Sept 5th Equinox 12 day cruise.  I know things are changing almost daily but just checking if St Lucia changed to ship only again.  Thanks in advance

As of late last night it was the government of St Lucia who said Celebrity Tours only. (Keep in mind very few of the port restrictions are actually decided by Celebrity.)

This morning, as we were in the theater waiting to leave for our tour (so about 8:45-9:00am) they adjusted their decision to allow vaccinated passengers to visit the island freely, but with specific rules and requirements. 

Just another example of needing to be able to adjust your plans if needed. And be as patient as possible with the ever-changing info and restrictions. 

You probably already know this, but if I were you I would keep in close contact with your tour operator. They may have pretty up to date information since they are located right there on the island. And you will be able to cancel or adjust your plans if necessary. 

Edited by aring75
Edited because I can’t spell and cruise at the same time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ALSO!

I was finally able to speak with one of the security officers while we were waiting to get back on board in St Lucia. He says Equinox is currently sailing at nearly 40% capacity and there are just under 1300 passengers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Wonderful day in St Lucia today.  Took a double decker catamaran down the coast to the Pitons, stopping for a time at a secluded beach. As others have noted, this port has a number of stores open in a confined shopping area…the most stores of any port, this far.  We really appreciated the openness of the excursion after 3 previous days of being packed in small vans on island site-seeing excursions.  Highly recommend it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluewake said:

Wonderful day in St Lucia today.  Took a double decker catamaran down the coast to the Pitons, stopping for a time at a secluded beach. As others have noted, this port has a number of stores open in a confined shopping area…the most stores of any port, this far.  We really appreciated the openness of the excursion after 3 previous days of being packed in small vans on island site-seeing excursions.  Highly recommend it.

Bluwake, is this a Celebrity shore ex. if so, what's it called?

2 hours ago, aring75 said:

ALSO!

I was finally able to speak with one of the security officers while we were waiting to get back on board in St Lucia. He says Equinox is currently sailing at nearly 40% capacity and there are just under 1300 passengers. 

Interesting !! -

Thank you so much for all of the information you are providing ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Bluwake, is this a Celebrity shore ex. if so, what's it called?

Yes, it was Celebrity.  Called “Coastal Cruise to the Pitons”.  You see only the coastline including, of course, the Pitons.  But,  it was a totally relaxing experience…great music on the boat, very nice crew, rum punch or soda was included and Piton beer was for sale.  Nice day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Yes, it was Celebrity.  Called “Coastal Cruise to the Pitons”.  You see only the coastline including, of course, the Pitons.  But,  it was a totally relaxing experience…great music on the boat, very nice crew, rum punch or soda was included and Piton beer was for sale.  Nice day. 

I love Piton beer. Last time I was in St. Lucia, they allowed you to bring Piton beer back onboard.

21 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Did you have to get off the catamaran?  Or could one just stay on?  Did the cat leave from near the ship?  I'm asking because my husband has some walking difficulty.   Thanks.

Poached Anjou Pear & Gorgonzola Cheese Appetizer 

This was SO good. 

AAE8BDBC-9945-40DA-BF6F-6F02ABE99731.thumb.jpeg.d4836b2a0bc9373a1e8e0d09266e9487.jpeg

I had the quinoa salad. No picture. It was good. Mark had the mesclun greens and said it was good too. 

Had the Beef Bourguignon. Like a beef stew. 

EAB5C901-6773-45B2-B3C1-EE3E0F4CA4A0.thumb.jpeg.47ad83f470db5b09592af244de60dfb7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, aring75 said:

Lol. I think I could eat bacon with almost anything. 

It’s pretty much the only reason I don’t think I could ever be vegetarian. 

Have you ever tried bacon with a side of………wait for it……wait for it…. BACON 🥓 !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluewake said:

We almost booked this one. Glad to hear it was good!