LIVE - Equinox 8/15/21 - Ultimate Caribbean - It’s finally here!

aring75

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have seen this when booking excursions for our cruise, it seems Celebrity thinks if we are over 65 we are feeble and immobile. At 71 my DW and I are in great physical shape and have nothing that would limit us from  extraneous excursions. In fact I am  in better shape than when I was 60. I very much resent Celebrity's exclusions based purely on age.

I agree 100%! I turned 60 a couple of weeks ago. I am in better shape than two decades ago when I was 40 (pack a day smoker) or age 50 (45 pounds heavier). I exercise for an hour a day, have zero health conditions and take no medications. I retired recently and my husband (will be 62 soon) is retiring next summer. We are looking forward to having more opportunity to travel once we are no longer working, and we like to do active excursions such as snorkeling. So it's very disappointing to realize that such an arbitrary rule will be applied to us in just a few short years. 😡

But I guess it's good to know, so when that day comes we won't be caught off guard. I guess we will be searching for tour providers who don't impose those limits. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, luv4cruises said:

Hi all,

I am enjoying reading this thread in anticipation of our 8/27 Equinox Cruise. I have been on this ship many times and it is one of my favorites. 
I posted this question on other threads and have only had one affirmation. 
Has Celebrity accepted the CVS Rapid Antigen test at the pier?  Many are posting that they are getting them. Celebrity verbally stated they are accepting them, but the fact that Celebrity’s letter specifies “antigen tests” and not rapid antigen tests worries me. We are flying in from California so don’t have much wiggle room. 
Have you or any cruisers cleared boarding with the rapid antigen test?

Thank you!

This is the latest version of X's FAQ's for testing.  Dated yesterday.  

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/CEL_Healthy_at_Sea_FAQs

• Thanks 1

Angela

You got me interested in the cabanas.  Is there a discount when you book a cabana for multiple days?  Also when you booked pre-cruise was there a sale going on?  I think you said $79 on a port day.  

I don't sail until 1/30/22 but I sure hope Marko is still working at the cabanas. 

@aring75

Edited by Beba-Beba
  • Like 1

I wasn’t going to mention this, but I thought on it and decided I should. 

I have overheard several people onboard complaining about this cruise. Mainly due to enhanced COVID protocols and the limited availability of port activities. 

You know what??

There are enhanced COVID protocols and limited availability of port activities!!

I know that as Cruise Critic members we get and share a lot of information. And I would probably consider the majority of people who frequent this site to be better informed than the average non-CC cruiser. 

But. 

Even without Cruise Critic. How many emails have you received from Celebrity prior to your cruise? How many news articles or social media posts have you seen with regard to mask requirements, travel restrictions, COVID testing, etc?

Does anyone expect this cruise to be exactly like cruises you’ve taken in the past? Who are these people who are surprised at port restrictions? Yes! It can be disappointing. And yes! Many people have decided it’s not worth it right now and are waiting for the health situation to improve before sailing again. I think this is a great idea! If you know you won’t enjoy your cruise with these adjusted rules in place, then it is absolutely in your best interest to wait. Do what’s best for you. 

BUT do not get onboard and grouse and complain about how there’s nothing to do, and nothing open in port.

I’m so sorry for the rant. But I’m finding these people (not many complainers, but enough) absolutely infuriating. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Beba-Beba said:

Angela

You got me interested in the cabanas.  Is there a discount when you book a cabana for multiple days?  Also when you booked pre-cruise was there a sale going on?  I think you said $79 on a port day.  

I don't sale until 1/30/22 but I sure hope Marko is still working at the cabanas. 

@aring75

You are supposed to get a discount for multiple days booked. I think it depends on the number of days. I have someone looking into it for me (I need to check on it again). I will let you know what I find. 

Also. We booked the cabanas a year ago? Maybe? The price has gone up and I don’t know if they go on sale. 

The $99 port day price is an amazing deal considering everything that is included. The $249 for a sea day is definitely high, but you will use it more on a sea day if you sail when the weather is hot. There’s not as much breeze when you are in port. So not comfortable all day long. 

Hoping this helps you. Lmk if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aring75 said:

I have overheard several people onboard complaining about this cruise. Mainly due to enhanced COVID protocols and the limited availability of port activities. 

You know what??

There are enhanced COVID protocols and limited availability of port activities!!

I know that as Cruise Critic members we get and share a lot of information. And I would probably consider the majority of people who frequent this site to be better informed than the average non-CC cruiser. 

But. 

Even without Cruise Critic. How many emails have you received from Celebrity prior to your cruise? How many news articles or social media posts have you seen with regard to mask requirements, travel restrictions, COVID testing, etc?

Does anyone expect this cruise to be exactly like cruises you’ve taken in the past? Who are these people who are surprised at port restrictions? Yes! It can be disappointing. And yes! Many people have decided it’s not worth it right now and are waiting for the health situation to improve before sailing again. I think this is a great idea! If you know you won’t enjoy your cruise with these adjusted rules in place, then it is absolutely in your best interest to wait. Do what’s best for you. 

BUT do not get onboard and grouse and complain about how there’s nothing to do, and nothing open in port.

I’m so sorry for the rant. But I’m finding these people (not many complainers, but enough) absolutely infuriating. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

This is AWESOME! I am so glad that you shared this. I feel the exact same way. Life is different these days and you have to be flexible. Bravo to you for sharing this and your fabulous posts for all of us. Thank you so much! We appreciate it!

🙌👏🥂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, aring75 said:

You are supposed to get a discount for multiple days booked. I think it depends on the number of days. I have someone looking into it for me (I need to check on it again). I will let you know what I find. 

Also. We booked the cabanas a year ago? Maybe? The price has gone up and I don’t know if they go on sale. 

The $99 port day price is an amazing deal considering everything that is included. The $249 for a sea day is definitely high, but you will use it more on a sea day if you sail when the weather is hot. There’s not as much breeze when you are in port. So not comfortable all day long. 

Hoping this helps you. Lmk if you have any other questions!

For sure port day is an amazing deal.  You make a very good point about the lack of a breeze on port days.  I could go to the pool to cool off.  Hmmmmm. I have to think this thru......  You did say the top is open so the sun is beating down.  We usually hang out at the Martini Bar but cocktails before dinner but up there would be lovely.  I'm thinking.....

Please don't forget to stop by the World Class Bar and get some snaps of that menu.  thx

Edited by Beba-Beba

2 minutes ago, Beba-Beba said:

For sure port day is an amazing deal.  You make a very good point about the lack of a breeze on port days.  I could go to the pool to cool off.  Hmmmmm. I have to think this thru......  You did say the top is open so the sun is beating down.  We usually hang out at the Martini Bar but cocktails before dinner up there would be lovely.  I'm thinking.....

Please don't forget to stop by the World Class Bar and get some snaps of that menu.  thx

The top is open, but other than the very middle of the day (for the port day that we tried out it was about 11:00-1:30) the sun is at an angle. This means you can slide the panels around to block the majority of the sun. However, this may or may not also block the breeze. 

And yes! I DO still need to get to the World Class Bar! (And not just for the menu. 😊)

7 minutes ago, aring75 said:

The top is open, but other than the very middle of the day (for the port day that we tried out it was about 11:00-1:30) the sun is at an angle. This means you can slide the panels around to block the majority of the sun. However, this may or may not also block the breeze. 

And yes! I DO still need to get to the World Class Bar! (And not just for the menu. 😊)

...oh yes.  I'm a champagne girl but those cocktails are yummy!!!!!!  

Did you select a cabana port side?

Edited by Beba-Beba

6 hours ago, aring75 said:

We had booked a tour ahead of the cruise which was canceled. So after we got on board I tried to book a new excursion. There was one called “Sea Life Safari by Zodiac.”

8E7851D1-3BB3-48ED-9E26-D7470033CCF0.thumb.png.18cafd83f16b47ceb6e2c47675a08257.png

The description of this tour is below. 

9BCE251D-3359-49E0-B03E-7DA64B8AA520.thumb.png.f3185eb11e95c337ea4279479eff2372.png

However, when I tried to book through the app, it would let me choose for me but Mark’s name was grayed out. I was unable to book for him. I asked about this at the ShoreEx desk and, apparently, you cannot book this tour if you are over 65. It doesn’t say anything about this in the description so this was disappointing. 

0F9B9388-D87D-4690-84AD-3393691F6B2E.thumb.png.187eda284e6dba0811642ddd2e512e72.png

So….we don’t have a tour today in Dominica. But just FYI, you must do a ship-sponsored tour here. If you are fully vaccinated, you can disembark for a set of guided shopping stops, but you must bring your vaccine card with you. 

Are you kidding. Over 65 cant book?! 

So I could be 35 and weigh 500 pounds and that’s ok?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, aring75 said:

You know what??

But. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

Mark, this post is so spot on right,  I hope someday we are on a cruise together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aring75 said:

You know what??

But. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

You go girl!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Beba-Beba said:

...oh yes.  I'm a champagne girl but those cocktails are yummy!!!!!!  

Did you select a cabana port side?

We were starboard. But if they are not filled up you can move to a different one if you need to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkblinzler said:

This is AWESOME! I am so glad that you shared this. I feel the exact same way. Life is different these days and you have to be flexible. Bravo to you for sharing this and your fabulous posts for all of us. Thank you so much! We appreciate it!

🙌👏🥂

36 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Mark, this post is so spot on right,  I hope someday we are on a cruise together. 

24 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

You go girl!!!

Thanks everyone. 

Thing is…I know this post doesn’t apply to those of you following along. You are here trying to find the most up to date information. You WANT to know what to expect. 

That’s why I felt the need to apologize for the “rant.” But thanks for letting me get it off my chest!

• Like 7

You know what??

But. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

I wonder how people like you mention handle "real" life problems.  Your posts, all of them, have been so much fun to follow along, thank you for making time to do this!!

• Like 3

And yes! Many people have decided it’s not worth it right now and are waiting for the health situation to improve before sailing again. I think this is a great idea!. 

😁

This is how DH and I feel.  We have done 50+ cruises (my signature does not allow me to add more).  So we are very appreciate that you are  bringing us along on your cruise.   We had too many cruises canceled.  Hope to be cruising soon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Thanks everyone. 

Thing is…I know this post doesn’t apply to those of you following along. You are here trying to find the most up to date information. You WANT to know what to expect. 

That’s why I felt the need to apologize for the “rant.” But thanks for letting me get it off my chest!

You have the same attitude as we have, we will be very happy if we spend 9 days going nowhere,  great ship, food and bar tenders. You will never hear us complain and I plan to tip the hardworking crew who made nothing for 18 months very generously.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

You know what??

But. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

Could not agree more!  I am certain there will be some things I will miss when we board the Apex in October.  However, I am much more comfortable boarding a ship that has enhanced Covid protocols than I would be without them.  We have absolutely no idea of port restrictions at this time, as ours will be the first cruise embarking from Barcelona and visiting the scheduled ports this year.  With 7 weeks until we board, I cannot and do not expect Celebrity to announce port restrictions; that will come later.  When the decisions are made by Celebrity and the local Spanish and Portuguese authorities, we may be adjusting our plans as some of our scheduled private tours may not be allowed. Will I be disappointed?  Sure.  Will I be surprised or angry? No!  I will still be on a wonderful cruise, on a beautiful new ship that I look forward to exploring.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aring75 said:

You know what??

But. 

Sigh. I feel better now. 
😁

Just catching up with posts  - and TOTALLY AGREE - thanks for allowing us to listen to your "rant" -

We are totally prepared to go on a 12-day absolutely wonderful, relaxing boat trip - it will be just fine if we don't get off the ship at all !! (probably 20 pounds heavier, but definitely happier !)  😀😀😀😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

This is the latest version of X's FAQ's for testing.  Dated yesterday.  

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/CEL_Healthy_at_Sea_FAQs

Thank you - we sail on the Equinox on September 26th -

will wait to see if these are updated to include protocols AFTER September 6th  😀

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, aring75 said:

First course was a lobster bisque. The one in the MDR tastes like lobster broth with no actual lobster. My bowl had four good-sized pieces of lobster. 

703B7D10-A84C-4F65-9B9E-32B7D69381BA.thumb.jpeg.ef969e01cef1b093320020684f436694.jpeg

Next up was the pork belly. It had roasted apple pieces and parsnip purée. 

FF51B39A-C3F3-498E-844E-99F4AB7DA6C3.thumb.jpeg.c902e370c1c22d038eab13a1cb4f6ae7.jpeg

We decided to share the chateaubriand for two and then share an order of the lobster. 

They prepared our chateaubriand, but decided we each needed our own lobster tail. This was so much food. 

9D397DB5-8A09-45D0-91B3-5B97E11012A9.thumb.jpeg.280d1505f25b5eb8e12ac6ee4fefbc47.jpeg

992FF3B2-1F14-45CF-BBCC-1B203BAA78C7.thumb.jpeg.87bc73c3cca2a5150772eeb9cc134ca5.jpeg

We'll definitely go with the chateaubriand but I'm curious about the Murano lobster.  It's obviously not the tail we usually think of.  The description has "warm water" and I'm not familiar with that.  Can you give your opinions of it?

20 hours ago, aring75 said:

We were allowed to remove our masks in the catamaran. I wore mine when I walked up to the bar and when I went through the line to get my lunch. Mostly just out of courtesy for the people working on the tour and because standing in line for food was the closest people really got to each other. 

Today’s tour was good, but there were definitely a few more restrictions than usual. Obviously, this is to be expected, but I thought it would be good for anyone reading to get an idea of what to expect. 

What was the name of the tour you took in Antigua and also would you recommend it for us on the Sept 5th sailing?

5 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We'll definitely go with the chateaubriand but I'm curious about the Murano lobster.  It's obviously not the tail we usually think of.  The description has "warm water" and I'm not familiar with that.  Can you give your opinions of it?

The lobster tail was warm water. A good size, but no Maine lobster. But it was flambéed in a cognac Dijon cream sauce.

And it had bacon. 

Applewood smoked bacon. 

Do what you think is best, but…lobster. And bacon. 

DC035988-97DE-41A3-938E-58EC40C46259.thumb.jpeg.dc9ea0d1cdd529859001037d69cd2722.jpeg

• Like 5