Favorite foods

macaroni

Despite the digressions that Black Duck commented on , I love this thread. 

I do not care if the cooks start with a soup base made ashore or if they make it from scratch, or same with the breads and pastries.  All I care about is how wonderful it tastes without my cooking or cleaning.  

Black Duck, your cousin Orange Duck is not on my list of favorites, but I probably tried it for the first time on a cruise ship.  Same with your cousin from China, Peking Duck.  I sometimes take advantage of the opportunity on a cruise to try new foods that I am not going to pay for to try at a land-based restaurant, in case I say "yuck!"  I explain to my waiter in advance that it is something I've never tried before; otherwise,  the waitstaff get upset when you reject a dish.

My favorites are probably the Prime Rib and the Beef Wellington.  No, it is not prime, but I still have many of my teeth!    

In the buffet at lunch, I love to make my own salad.  At home, it is so much work to wash and  prepare a half dozen or more veggies for a decent salad, and on the ship, they have done all the prep for me.  Plus cheeses and bread!

For dessert, I go for ice creams, the chocolate desserts and the old standby, Love Boat Dream!  And the orange souffle at the embarkation lunch.

In all of my Princess cruises, I have never had a hot dog.  To the people craving that, is it from the Dining Room or the grill?  When I go to the grill, I go for the chicken breast (and fries) and have that with my salad from the buffet.

Now I am hungry! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

No one has mentioned the Fettucine Alfredo.  I once sailed with a lady who ate it every night for her main dish.  You can ask for a chicken breast or shrimp with it and it's delicious.

That could have been my wife, she loves the alfredo!

• Like 1

The gluten free Fettuccine Alfredo (I have celiac disease).  I am one of those individuals who eats it numerous times on a cruise!  I will start with the shrimp cocktail followed by the appetizer sized portion of the fettuccine.  I call it my cruising comfort food!

@Mike45LC, we really don't do duck, it was never a thing for us. Like you we do take the opportunity to try stuff we haven't had before, when it's included in the fare...

I like Beef Wellington and will be interested in discovering what the Princess version is like. My wife likes lamb and is quite partial to the braised lamb shank on Celebrity. I like cherries jubilee and hope they will have that on our cruise. I really like the "English Breakfast" station in the Celebrity buffet (hold the black pudding though). So many different options.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I really like the "English Breakfast" station in the Celebrity buffet (hold the black pudding though). So many different options.

I am glad that they offer the English breakfast for you, but I'd starve first!  The closest I'd get to an English breakfast would be a very American so-called "English muffin" with marmalade!  To each his/her own!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

I am glad that they offer the English breakfast for you, but I'd starve first!  The closest I'd get to an English breakfast would be a very American so-called "English muffin" with marmalade!  To each his/her own!!

Bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes what's not to like 🙂. Like I said hold the black pudding.

• Like 3

Our favorites: Seabass/Beef Wellington/ Chateaubriand. I know it's bragging, but I prepare Beef Wellington for the family on Thanksgiving. It's far superior to what you'll get on a ship(except Queens Grill).

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes what's not to like 🙂. Like I said hold the black pudding.

Beans and fried bread.  I like a Full English.  I just pick and choose what I want.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Our favorites: Seabass/Beef Wellington/ Chateaubriand. I know it's bragging, but I prepare Beef Wellington for the family on Thanksgiving. It's far superior to what you'll get on a ship(except Queens Grill).

I do not care for the Beef Wellington I've had on Princess, but, as you say, it's not homemade.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 3:19 AM, rbtan said:

How long was your galley tour? I knew one of the chefs. Mine was 4 hours long. Just the 2 of us. It was not easy getting me down there. This was on Cunard & not Princess.

That was where I stopped reading.

To answer the question asked, I too love the French Onion Soup, Smoked Salmon and the different "Hot Dog" selections at the grill by the pool.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2021 at 8:18 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I only say this because my wife and I are also looking forward to our first Princess Cruise and look forward to recommendations.

Overall, I think the International Cafe is a hidden gem and ditto for the pool grill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Overall, I think the International Cafe is a hidden gem and ditto for the pool grill.

Yes!  You can get hot paninis at IC, and there is a big kettle of soup (du jour) there.  DH will have sea day lunch there because he is a big soup fan.  It's not just pastries at IC (which are delicious) but you can do a whole meal there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sea Emerald said:

Dessert souffle 

The souffles!  I had forgotten!  Such delicious sauces. I always get whichever one is offered for MDR dessert!  If not, it's make you own sudae with butterscotch!

• Like 1

Favorite Princess food - desserts!!! Here are a few I just enjoyed in the MDR on Majestic Princess - apple pie, lemon meringue cheesecake, chocolate pecan pie, carrot cake, chocolate journeys pistachio dome, and orange souffle.

53165938_ApplePie.thumb.JPG.33a25bec46b585948e80d8e481779109.JPG361189273_LemonMeringueCheesecake.thumb.JPG.1e1173d9deae78346044bec3a3b32963.JPG1557021675_ChocolatePecanPie.thumb.JPG.70384b0b86f2b3adea072c2a4fd59b0a.JPG

1254024289_CarrotCake.thumb.JPG.c19e8ce281ecbc8b95c8a60d084df3c7.JPG848469048_ChocolateJourneyDessert.thumb.JPG.eb9321e2e388d2a2edc27bd3209efa84.JPG

Souffle.thumb.JPG.cfd3534b6b8809b66b1bb765fe97111e.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suddenly remembered another thing I love.  The stuffed rolled chicken in Sabatini's.  Maybe I'll be on another ship with this someday.  Not going to happen on Magestic.dr

Edited by Kay S
drddrdr

On 8/19/2021 at 4:19 PM, Kay S said:

Yes, those spring rolls.  No one has mentioned the Fettucine Alfredo.  I once sailed with a lady who ate it every night for her main dish.  You can ask for a chicken breast or shrimp with it and it's delicious.

You can ask for anything on the menu  to have with it and sometimes items that are not on the menu.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:57 PM, rbtan said:

wow ! I've been thinking about this for days now.  Your wellington, is that a entre you prepare at your restaurants ? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, c-boy said:

wow ! I've been thinking about this for days now.  Your wellington, is that a entre you prepare at your restaurants ? 

No. the catering company has not had a request for that. Chateaubriand, but never the Wellington. My spouse works for the catering co.(part owner)I run a food service for a large medical center.