More Iona thoughts

jaydee6969

I was going to add this to the other thread, but decided to start my own.  Just to add a couple of things to the Iona Thoughts review.

The 'covid' testing at the terminal has improved massively in the 2 weeks since we were on Britannia.  Much slicker operation with many more testers available, which meant our hold up was the trainee at the check-in desk.  Total of about 40 minutes from getting dropped off to stepping on board.  Far quicker than any of our previous cruises.

Captain Wes certainly made a lot of use of the horn on our way down Southampton Water, as many of us out on deck enjoyed.  The planned fireworks couldn't happen due to the high winds.  I see Iona is also leaving tonight at 9, perhaps fireworks??? 

The sockets under the lights by the beds are a USB type B, and not the newer now standard type C.  Luckily we took our 3 pin chargers.

Having used the 'app' on Britannia, was aware of some of its issues, but worked fine for us on Iona.  The major obstacle is having your phone attached to anything other than the ships wi-fi for the app.  And when we booked dining, changed the phone to screen always on, and you will get an alert no problem.

The first thing I looked for on the TV was the navigation map, but as pointed out none found.  However, if we were that close to land, just switched the phone over to Vodafone and pulled up Google maps.  No notes from the bridge with your bill on the last night, but there was an insert in the last days Horizon with a small map route we took around the islands and a brief record of ships actions.

We found the Grand Atrium to be a wonderful place, light and airy.  Even performers later in the evening from the moving wires suspended from the roof.  Not all the cabins look down on the promenade, we had a very good view of the underside of the lifeboats!

The Skydome performers are breath taking, and the Festival show was very well done.  I feel we were spoilt with all the entertainment available to us.  We stumbled on the 710 Club, and what a talented bunch they were.

We stumbled across The Olive Grove, and what a gem that was.  Managed to visit there three evenings, and enjoyed every meal we had there.

Was back home this morning at 7:15, and could have quite happily turned around and went back on board for another week.

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Bin man said:

I always thought there was no 13 lifeboat like there is no 13th deck !

And they were testing the release process, when this one had an issue, I overheard them say someone hit the emergency stop before it deployed. And yes it was Friday 13th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

What type of cabin did you have? I’ve never seen that setup with a single door, sold panel in the middle and then (presumably) a window?

All we could book was a guaranteed GB grade standard cabin midship 5533.  On the outside was a big heavy watertight door that would cover the door. I assume this may be for very heavy seas or emergency as we weren’t that far above the sea. 

12 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

All we could book was a guaranteed GB grade standard cabin midship 5533.  On the outside was a big heavy watertight door that would cover the door. I assume this may be for very heavy seas or emergency as we weren’t that far above the sea. 

Correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Just a point on the USB sockets, I thought that the power in end was the same for all the versions, only the plug end of the cable which slots into your phone is different for the newer C type?

My iPhone 12 cable is USB C to lightning and the wife’s Samsung cable is type C both ends. 

so what type are the cabin sockets? all my chargers are type A at the power  end and various types at the equipment end.

edit - they are type B, why? even the new mobile I bought last year has a type A at the power end

will have to take the plug power supplies

Edited by davecttr

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

so what type are the cabin sockets? all my chargers are type A at the power  end and various types at the equipment end.

Apologies, A's and B's mixed up.

The sockets under the lights by the beds are a USB type A, and not the newer now becoming standard type C.  Luckily we took our 3 pin chargers.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

A review in today's Sunday Times, from the maiden voyage.  Mostly very favourable - no doubt the reviewer did not have problems in getting into the various restaurants!  Funnily enough, the only cabins mentioned, again favourably, are the Conservatory Mini Suites.  

7 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

My iPhone 12 cable is USB C to lightning and the wife’s Samsung cable is type C both ends. 

My Samsung cable is USB to type C, I am struggling to understand why they would have a double C cable which would not fit any current USB outlets?

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

A review in today's Sunday Times, from the maiden voyage.  Mostly very favourable - no doubt the reviewer did not have problems in getting into the various restaurants!  Funnily enough, the only cabins mentioned, again favourably, are the Conservatory Mini Suites.  

Considering the lead article was to do with 'greener' forms of travel, I was surprised that the reviewer didn't mention that Iona is the first British cruise ship to use liquid natural gas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

phew! that was close to another rage 

Dave I’ve just seen a post in a face cloth group by a man on Iona, they are heading towards Spain! Must be chasing the sun. Yours is a Scottish islands one though, isn’t it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Dave I’ve just seen a post in a face cloth group by a man on Iona, they are heading towards Spain! Must be chasing the sun. Yours is a Scottish islands one though, isn’t it?

Yes and the weather does not look too promising, time to make space for a thicker fleece 🥶

At the rate Iona is moving it will take to xmas to get to Spain 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yes and the weather does not look too promising, time to make space for a thicker fleece 🥶

At the rate Iona is moving it will take to xmas to get to Spain 🙂

I hope the forecast is wrong and you have a great time! 

The weather forecast looked rubbish for my Lake District Holiday and it was mostly glorious!

• Like 2