Taking Food to Your Room

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I learned something new today. I thought Melmac was merely the planet ALF was from. Turns out it's dinnerware material, too

Yup.  The plastic-like material is melamine.  Our plates have lasted over 50 years at home.  Interesting that Melmac was brand name for the material back in the 1940s:

https://blog.retroplanet.com/imagine-life-melamine/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

Melmac is a brand name.

The material is Melamine. 

So?   I grew up with using them and kind of like  tissues get called "kleenex" it was all called Melmac.  They still aren't heavy.  But, thanks for the "correction" because it's very important to this discussion.  

Edited by BND

34 minutes ago, SRF said:

Melmac is a brand name.

The material is Melamine. 

19 minutes ago, BND said:

So?   I grew up with using them and kind of like  tissues get called "kleenex" it was all called Melmac.  They still aren't heavy.  But, thanks for the "correction" because it's very important to this discussion.  

A Melmac dish by any other name would be just as light ...

... and smell just as bad if left in your cabin for a day and a half.  🤢

🙂

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, BND said:

Lighten up Francis. 

On 8/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, libbismom said:

For washing any food containers in my room:  I cut up a paper towel in small squares and put some in a small zip bag with a squirt of dishwashing soap. Then pull one out when I need to wash something. (I double bag them so they don’t leak, or pack with toiletries.)

For a cruise, I just need a few to wash out my re-usable water bottle. Although I usually pack everything but the kitchen sink, I haven’t brought food storage containers on a cruise yet. 😂

They make paper towels with Dawn infused into them. They are totally dry until you add water. They are awesome for traveling or camping. I get mine on Amazon.

They only serve chocolate milk at breakfast, so I always grab a couple to take back to the room for later.  They have chips in several locations, and those also go back for snacks.  🙂    Back to taking a plate, the cloth napkin works best for me.