Hitchhiker’s guide to cruising - Serenade Live

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

They do the weighing off to the side, all private like

So I could strip right down to my scivvies before weigh in?  Hmm, maybe possible. We'll see where thte weight is before we gett on the cruise. I showed DW a youtube of it last night and she laughed and reminded me that as long as my insurance is up to date she's all good.  She knows I'm worth more dead than alive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the anticipation has caused me to over plan a bit.  Not only have I booked the drink packages, gone through the app and built a schedule of all the events that I want to do, scheduled all my My Time Dining times and the whale watching excursion.  I also have booked two massages for DW and ordered the 20 print photo package.  I don’t think I’ve ever ordered the photo package and I’ll be struggling, I’m sure, to come up with 20 that I want to keep but I blame Covid for this.  So far the only thing unplanned is specialty dining and I think I might just stick to the MDR.  Maybe a chops lunch will get inserted into it.  We’ll see…

1988530820_ScreenShot2021-08-19at9_26_32AM.thumb.png.a7a17e3d6e475338cce02d0a52e8c39b.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I think the anticipation has caused me to over plan a bit.  Not only have I booked the drink packages, gone through the app and built a schedule of all the events that I want to do, scheduled all my My Time Dining times and the whale watching excursion.  I also have booked two massages for DW and ordered the 20 print photo package.  I don’t think I’ve ever ordered the photo package and I’ll be struggling, I’m sure, to come up with 20 that I want to keep but I blame Covid for this.  So far the only thing unplanned is specialty dining and I think I might just stick to the MDR.  Maybe a chops lunch will get inserted into it.  We’ll see…

1988530820_ScreenShot2021-08-19at9_26_32AM.thumb.png.a7a17e3d6e475338cce02d0a52e8c39b.png

Thanks...now I have a pork belly craving....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So I could strip right down to my scivvies before weigh in?  Hmm, maybe possible. We'll see where thte weight is before we get on the cruise. 

By all means. I suggest just showing up in your scivvies right from the ship. Roll out of bed, and right down the gangway.  Easy peasy. Alaska is full of free spirited people. You’d fit right in with fellow hitchhikers. 

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I showed DW a youtube of it last night and she laughed and reminded me that as long as my insurance is up to date she's all good.  She knows I'm worth more dead than alive.

Here’s our video of the zip line adventure. You can let your wife know that you know someone who did it and survived. 😁

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

By all means. I suggest just showing up in your scivvies right from the ship. Roll out of bed, and right down the gangway.  Easy peasy. Alaska is full of free spirited people. You’d fit right in with fellow hitchhikers. 

Here’s our video of the zip line adventure. You can let your wife know that you know someone who did it and survived. 😁

Oh that is epic... Weather and weight permitting I'm probably going to give it a try.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh that is epic... Weather and weight permitting I'm probably going to give it a try.

It was so cool.  Lisa, Owen and I loved it and would do it again when we go back. I do have a couple of tips below.

If you wear glasses, make sure you have some sort of tethering on them.  Supposedly there are hundreds of them below the zip line, that have blown off. 

Also safety related… their safety harness might pinch private parts, so be careful where your personal items get placed. Not much protection between your scivvies and the harness when they pull it tight. 😳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I was so happy to see your live review this morning. I board Serenade as you disembark. Masks are optional at work if vaccinated, but I’ve started wearing mine this week so as to 1) get used to it again and 2) provide an extra layer of protection for those COVID tests next Friday. 

Safe travels to Eugene and on up to Seattle. I love cruises with no time zone shift (until we get to Alaska). 

• Like 1

Well it was a simple travel day today.  We left the lake around 830, parked the trailer at 2:00 at an RV park in Eugene and then relaxed until it was time for our Covid test.  I scheduled our test at a chain of testing facilities called Covid Clinic. They offered rapid antigen and PCR tests.  We obviously selected the antigen.  They let you book your appt. weeks in advance and advertised the results would be available in an hour.  That sounded perfect for me.  I didn't want to leave it to the last minute and I didn't want a PCR test.  That seemed all I could find so when I discovered this place I nailed it down. They weren't the most efficient outfit I've ever encountered but they got the job done and we only had to wait 30 minutes beyond our scheduled appointment time.

We decided to celebrate by going to Red Lobster.  Both DW and I love their biscuits.  While eating our results came in.  We are both negative. 🙂 

1590169166_ScreenShot2021-08-20at6_04_59PM.thumb.png.194fe188eb8981f88030a53d3d068371.png

The whole testing thing adds a level of anxiety that you don't really need beginning a vacation but with climbing case counts i guess I understand Royals desire to ensure their onboard numbers stay very low.

It definitely appears I will be on Serenade of the Seas this Monday.  3 days to go.  The anticipation is becoming unbearable.  

2138327267_ScreenShot2021-08-20at6_21_08PM.thumb.png.5709f12916690abff2f97e4820df78b6.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Not much of an update today.  We got into Seattle and have started packing.  It really feels like a Northwest fall day, 69° and overcast.  We're not disappointed though... It is a welcome reprieve from the stifling heat of California's Central Valley. We're going to head to Outback for dinner with friends this evening.  Tomorrow I'll sneak a day of work in and Monday we are heading to the port.  It's definitely getting close.

1620343757_ScreenShot2021-08-21at4_14_04PM.thumb.png.b018a137880cbfc973cef72fc31fba54.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, the Outback franchise near our friends place is a Covid casualty and has permanently closed. So we chose a second round of Red Lobster. If you have never had their Cajun Salmon you are missing out.  It is to die for.  It is nice to have good friends to share a day with.  They'll be driving us to the port tomorrow

It's hard to believe that tomorrow is really going to come.  I know some of you have already been on multiple cruises out of Nassau or Florida and this is all just old hat but for me this feels like a really big deal.

For those whom i have posted with on other threads you may already know most of this... My wife and I are Canadian expats.  We have lived in the US full time since April of 2016. We now make our home in California's Central Valley. A year and a half ago (Feb 2020) we returned to Canada for, what was supposed to be, a brief 3 week visit with family and a final sorting of some business affairs I had left at loose ends for to long.  While in Canada those few weeks several unexpected and unfortunate things happened that delayed our departure. Then, in March, the world changed and we all locked down.  We made the best of the situation but it was clearly less than ideal. Over the course of the next 351 days we were forced to move 5 different times. During that time my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and we buried my mom.  While she went through surgery and radiation treatment I had my work, which is my passion, extremely curtailed  and I was left with very little to do.  I made the best of it but I was never so thankful to put a year in the rearview mirror as I was 2020.

February 2021 we were finally able to extricate ourselves for our former home and return to our new and permanent home.  My wife has been given a clean bill of health and we have returned, for the most part, to our normal life.  It may seem hyperbolic to some but this cruise is a celebration for me.  I felt like I lost a year of my life. 

I'm getting that lost year back.

Tomorrow I'm boarding Serenade of the Seas, while all in the world is not right, in my little world it is going to be as right as right can be.

See you tomorrow in the Schooner.

1676712242_ScreenShot2021-08-22at7_35_26AM.thumb.png.46408f0c01b5d60a8a3aa2c5e263db1a.png

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 27

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Tomorrow I'm boarding Serenade of the Seas, while all in the world is not right, in my little world it is going to be as right as right can be.

For what you've been though, and I am sorry for your loss you, deserve this cruise and all the happiness that goes with it. I wish I with you to meet at the Schooner Bar. Cheers! Bon Voyage!!

Hope you guys have an amazing cruise! sounds like you have more than earned it.🙂

My husband (dual citizenship) has family who left Canada for their vacation home here in the southern US just before Covid started up. They are still at their vacation home. 

24 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Sadly, the Outback franchise near our friends place is a Covid casualty and has permanently closed. So we chose a second round of Red Lobster. If you have never had their Cajun Salmon you are missing out.  It is to die for.  It is nice to have good friends to share a day with.  They'll be driving us to the port tomorrow

It's hard to believe that tomorrow is really going to come.  I know some of you have already been on multiple cruises out of Nassau or Florida and this is all just old hat but for me this feels like a really big deal.

For those whom i have posted with on other threads you may already know most of this... My wife and I are Canadian expats.  We have lived in the US full time since April of 2016. We now make our home in California's Central Valley. A year and a half ago (Feb 2020) we returned to Canada for, what was supposed to be, a brief 3 week visit with family and a final sorting of some business affairs I had left at loose ends for to long.  While in Canada those few weeks several unexpected and unfortunate things happened that delayed our departure. Then, in March, the world changed and we all locked down.  We made the best of the situation but it was clearly less than ideal. Over the course of the next 351 days we were forced to move 5 different times. During that time my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and we buried my mom.  While she went through surgery and radiation treatment I had my work, which is my passion, extremely curtailed  and I was left with very little to do.  I made the best of it but I was never so thankful to put a year in the rearview mirror as I was 2020.

February 2021 we were finally able to extricate ourselves for our former home and return to our new and permanent home.  My wife has been given a clean bill of health and we have returned, for the most part, to our normal life.  It may seem hyperbolic to some but this cruise is a celebration for me.  I felt like I lost a year of my life. 

I'm getting that lost year back.

See you tomorrow in the Schooner.

1676712242_ScreenShot2021-08-22at7_35_26AM.thumb.png.46408f0c01b5d60a8a3aa2c5e263db1a.png

I did not know most of this but it sure puts my little frustrations & struggles with the pandemic into perspective. My condolences on the loss of your Mom and how wonderful that your wife has a clean bill of health.  Even more than before, I wish you & Mrs Tree Skier a wonderful, celebratory and most deserved cruise!

Edited by Momof3gurlz
Typo
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, barbeyg said:

My husband (dual citizenship) has family who left Canada for their vacation home here in the southern US just before Covid started up. They are still at their vacation home. 

Is your husbands family dual citizens as well because if not it sounds like someone will be having an immigration issue next time they head south.  Starting in 2019 CBSA and CBP have been sharing information about Canadian and American border crossers to catch those who visa overstay. Hopefully, everything will be ok.  

46 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Is your husbands family dual citizens as well because if not it sounds like someone will be having an immigration issue next time they head south.  Starting in 2019 CBSA and CBP have been sharing information about Canadian and American border crossers to catch those who visa overstay. Hopefully, everything will be ok.  

Yes, his aunt and uncle have been working on keeping the immigration issues straight. 🙂 

Glad you and your wife are back where you desire to be.  And cruising! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Any suggestions for the first drink onboard?  I'm leaning towards the BBC 🙂 

Im not a big day drinker, but for celebration purposes of finally being on a cruise, I just may go for my usual Dirty Gin Martini. 🍸 (and then I may need a nap-LOL)

Or start light, with a G&T.

• Like 1