From the Encore right now

farodeluzgirl

22 hours ago, alohayall said:

If those drinks were purchased while still in WA, they also have to collect the 10% tax on alcohol. And the obligatory 20% gratuity.

So this is pretty correct. I just did some investigating and found it’s normally 13.7% tax for bar drinks and 20% if you buy from a liquor store in Washington State. So from the looks of it I’m guessing NCL was charging the 20% for state tax and the 20% gratuity bringing the total to a whopping $33.60 for 2 drinks at port. 

Heads up to everyone, when you do buy any drinks at port and there is an alcohol tax, it will be added to your bill. Speaking of which, I had better find out what NYC and Bermuda’s taxes are for booze. 🤔

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SwimmingDragon said:

So this is pretty correct. I just did some investigating and found it’s normally 13.7% tax for bar drinks and 20% if you buy from a liquor store in Washington State. So from the looks of it I’m guessing NCL was charging the 20% for state tax and the 20% gratuity bringing the total to a whopping $33.60 for 2 drinks at port. 

Heads up to everyone, when you do buy any drinks at port and there is an alcohol tax, it will be added to your bill. Speaking of which, I had better find out what NYC and Bermuda’s taxes are for booze. 🤔

I've done several NYC to Bermuda sailings on NCL and our total taxes for the two of us were never more than $10 for the whole trip. It's a buck or two at most while still docked in NYC and no tax is charged when docked in Bermuda.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Is this what they call the valet service?

No. That is an NCL airport to port transfer. If you are on an NCL transfer, when you turn your bags over to the bus driver, they are delivered direct to your room. 

Port Valet will take your bags from your room the last night of the cruise, and check them into your airline for you. After you leave your bags outside the room, the next time you see them is at your final destination airport. 

The ship will give you specially printed luggage tags and your airline boarding passes. If you have to pay for checked luggage, that will be billed to your room. You never pay over weight charges, so fill up those bags. 

0DCF57E2-1F80-4E8D-B4A2-D6B5C6BEEF6F.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:11 PM, Kimbahh said:

It looks like you docked at a pier in Juneau that is far from the town.  Did they have shuttles or did you have to walk a mile to get there?

NCL usually docks at the AJ pier and offers free shuttle buses to/from the base of the Mount Roberts Tram. we have used the bus but have also walked (not a very nice walk). 

9E74FA16-F032-48F6-B4FC-FB02631D9226.thumb.jpeg.fb1f0f034bbd4751b2db7dd16234e87e.jpegE194EC29-6BF3-4C92-AAAF-AFB2C3E80293.thumb.jpeg.89a40e9f8ff05309cd9450c9d5f9482f.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Nice investigative work 🙂

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL usually docks at the AJ pier and offers free shuttle buses to/from the base of the Mount Roberts Tram. we have used the bus but have also walked (not a very nice walk).

We had been planning to walk as it is not very far.  Why is it not a "nice walk"?  Busy traffic, or no sidewalks?  I've tried looking at some maps but could not find out anything other than the distance... Thanks if you can provide more details Bird!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, newtocruising56 said:

We had been planning to walk as it is not very far.  Why is it not a "nice walk"?  Busy traffic, or no sidewalks?  I've tried looking at some maps but could not find out anything other than the distance... Thanks if you can provide more details Bird!

I've taken the shuttle from the ship to the Tram stop and then walked back to the ship after doing the Tram.  Sidewalks the whole way, though the last part of the walk is through the port area so nothing much to see there.  Easy to walk, though.

7 hours ago, newtocruising56 said:

We walked in the last time we were in Juneau and saw a mother bear and her 3 cubs just across the road.  Quite a few people were walking it.  Not a bad walk at all and actually quite nice to get away from the hordes of people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

And how did it go for you...?  Did the process flow more smoothly than others have reported...? 

I wasn't on that sailing.  Another poster reported that it had moved.  This week it was being done in a few different places.  That should help with lines, I think.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:29 AM, BirdTravels said:

No. That is an NCL airport to port transfer. If you are on an NCL transfer, when you turn your bags over to the bus driver, they are delivered direct to your room. 

Port Valet will take your bags from your room the last night of the cruise, and check them into your airline for you. After you leave your bags outside the room, the next time you see them is at your final destination airport. 

The ship will give you specially printed luggage tags and your airline boarding passes. If you have to pay for checked luggage, that will be billed to your room. You never pay over weight charges, so fill up those bags. 

0DCF57E2-1F80-4E8D-B4A2-D6B5C6BEEF6F.jpeg

You can now book a reservation for the Seattle Port Valet in advance of your cruise.  It's nice to confirm that your flights work with this program and that you have a spot reserved.

You can click this link to reserve. Port Valet (maketraveleasier.com)

• Like 1