Oasis of the Seas to pass under Verrazano Bridge Wed Aug 18 early morning ~ webcam viewing

emmy

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Anyone know if the ship’s captain was in charge, or a harbor pilot?

1 hour ago, BND said:

There would be a pilot onboard but they are just there for consultation.  The Captain does not give up control pretty much anywhere.  There are exceptions such as in the Panama canal, but many Captains have answered this question at Captain's Corners onboard.  The Captain is always in charge but can consult with the Pilot.  One thing the Pilot does is let the Captain know of any changes in the channel.  

With the funnels retracted, Oasis has 15 feet of clearance at low tide under the bridge.

While the Master/pilot relationship is complicated, it can be boiled down to this:  When in "restricted waterways" (as defined by the country involved), there will be a pilot onboard.  While the Captain never gives up responsibility (except in the Panama Canal, or entering a drydock), the Captain almost always gives up "control" to the pilot.  This is called the pilot "having the conn", and the pilot will give speed and steering orders to the bridge crew.  The pilot is responsible for his/her actions, and the bridge crew are required to follow his instructions, just as they are for anyone who "has the conn".  Just as when the Captain is not on the bridge during a voyage, the officer of the watch "has the conn" and has control of the steering and speed of the vessel.  Legally, even if the Captain comes on the bridge at any time, he cannot give orders to the bridge crew, until he/she states "I have the conn".  The Captain retains responsibility for what happens to the ship, regardless of who "has the conn", but the officer with the conn has the responsibility for conducting the vessel safely.  Unlike a ship's deck officer or crew, a pilot is not allowed to actually touch any control on the ship, he/she can only give orders.

The Captain also always retains the authority to override the pilot's decisions.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

With the funnels retracted, Oasis has 15 feet of clearance at low tide under the bridge.

I figured it was at least 10 feet, but perspective makes this seem like a lot less. 

17 minutes ago, BND said:

I figured it was at least 10 feet, but perspective makes this seem like a lot less. 

While it may have been less due to the state of the tide, the ship also took advantage of the same phenomenon that the QM2 uses at the bridge:  "squat".  Squat is the phenomenon where a ship passing quickly over a shallow channel, will suck the water from under the ship by Bernouli's principle, reducing the ship's buoyancy and lowering it in the water.  Squat can be as much as 2 meters, depending on ship size, speed, and depth of channel.

I looked at the tide tables at the beginning of the thread, and saw that she was going under on an ebb tide, not at high tide.  Since she is going opposite to the tidal current, this increases her "speed through the water", which will increase her squat even further.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While it may have been less due to the state of the tide, the ship also took advantage of the same phenomenon that the QM2 uses at the bridge:  "squat".  Squat is the phenomenon where a ship passing quickly over a shallow channel, will suck the water from under the ship by Bernouli's principle, reducing the ship's buoyancy and lowering it in the water.  Squat can be as much as 2 meters, depending on ship size, speed, and depth of channel.

I actually mentioned earlier that the ship can speed up to  get lower in the water and gain some clearance.

Edited by BND

I have a recollection that on Oasis' inaugural sail over from Europe it stopped in NY and docked on the West Side for a day or two and tours were offered to those considered important.  So this was not its first time under the Verrazzano.  But I have nothing to back that up except vague recollection.  Anybody else recall this?

16 minutes ago, WmFoster said:

I have a recollection that on Oasis' inaugural sail over from Europe it stopped in NY and docked on the West Side for a day or two and tours were offered to those considered important.  So this was not its first time under the Verrazzano.  But I have nothing to back that up except vague recollection.  Anybody else recall this?

I recall this as well, and it was one of the reasons that they maintained the retracting function on the funnels for about a year, before deciding she wouldn't be back, and the maintenance was too costly.

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I recall this as well, and it was one of the reasons that they maintained the retracting function on the funnels for about a year, before deciding she wouldn't be back, and the maintenance was too costly.

Good call there. 

2 hours ago, WmFoster said:

I remembered that but couldn't find anything when googling it.  I remember news reporters talking about it and camera shots showing it.  

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While the Master/pilot relationship is complicated, it can be boiled down to this:  When in "restricted waterways" (as defined by the country involved), there will be a pilot onboard.  While the Captain never gives up responsibility (except in the Panama Canal, or entering a drydock), the Captain almost always gives up "control" to the pilot.  This is called the pilot "having the conn", and the pilot will give speed and steering orders to the bridge crew.  The pilot is responsible for his/her actions, and the bridge crew are required to follow his instructions, just as they are for anyone who "has the conn".  Just as when the Captain is not on the bridge during a voyage, the officer of the watch "has the conn" and has control of the steering and speed of the vessel.  Legally, even if the Captain comes on the bridge at any time, he cannot give orders to the bridge crew, until he/she states "I have the conn".  The Captain retains responsibility for what happens to the ship, regardless of who "has the conn", but the officer with the conn has the responsibility for conducting the vessel safely.  Unlike a ship's deck officer or crew, a pilot is not allowed to actually touch any control on the ship, he/she can only give orders.

The Captain also always retains the authority to override the pilot's decisions.

For us non-sailors what does "conn" stand for.  

Just now, loman said:

Having control of the ship . Captain explains it .

I know that it gives the individual authority on the ship's bridge, but what is conn-is it a an abbreviation, and if so what is it.

15 hours ago, nelblu said:

I know that it gives the individual authority on the ship's bridge, but what is conn-is it a an abbreviation, and if so what is it.

15 hours ago, dswallow said:

Yes, it is the place where the officer in charge "conducts" the operation of the vessel.  As noted, it is either a noun ("to have the conn"), or a verb ("to conn the ship").  The etymology I've seen takes it back to the 17th century Middle English "conduen" (to conduct).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, it is the place where the officer in charge "conducts" the operation of the vessel.  As noted, it is either a noun ("to have the conn"), or a verb ("to conn the ship").  The etymology I've seen takes it back to the 17th century Middle English "conduen" (to conduct).

Thank you for the explanation.  Also, was reading that the term could be associated/related to the "Conning Line" .    Very interesting read.