Trieste instead of Venice for November cruise

lorimay

We are booked on the Rome - Venice trip November 2 - 9. Just got the following itinerary change from Oceania. Since we have a hotel booked in Venice, I guess we will take the transfer to the airport and then travel to our hotel from there.

image.thumb.png.e7528358870fe487ba0b89bef7747d86.png

4 minutes ago, nikless said:

We were to board at Venice on the 9th.  Was coming in 2 days early...using O air...wonder how we will get to Trieste...

We are in the same situation - we are in Venice for two days for an October 28th cruise. There is a train direct from Venice to Trieste, takes 2 hours and 5 minutes, costs about $25.

• Like 2

Just now, Flharleygirl said:

We are in the same situation - we are in Venice for two days for an October 28th cruise. There is a train direct from Venice to Trieste, takes 2 hours and 5 minutes, costs about $25.

We are coming in 4 days early and will change to a hotel in Trieste for a few of the pre-cruise days....it is a charming town!

On 8/20/2021 at 12:29 PM, nikless said:

We were to board at Venice on the 9th.  Was coming in 2 days early...using O air...wonder how we will get to Trieste...

My TA has said that Oceania will provide transport from the Venice Marco Polo Airport to the port in Trieste.  Apparently there is a transportation registration that others have seen on their booking (I believe for the October sailing out of Venice), but I don't see it on my booking yet.

What I'm curious about is this; 

Has anyone that is doing flights on their own been told by their agent or Oceania that there will be a free transfer for them? 

We have arranged her own air and are now disembarking in Trieste. When I asked our TA about transfers yesterday, this is what I was told 🤞

Just spoke with Oceania and they will be providing the transfers from the port to the airport.

They are going to be coming out with details regarding your transfers in the next few days.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

What I'm curious about is this; 

Has anyone that is doing flights on their own been told by their agent or Oceania that there will be a free transfer for them? 

We are on the October 16 sailing (now Trieste to Barcelona).  We arranged our own flights.  Our TA has been told that there will be a free transfer from VEN to the Trieste port, but it does not yet appear on our booking.  I will test that through the TA next week.

Tom & Judy

Must be  a logistical nightmare  for the cruise lines

Now to find enough transportation to get  pax  to the new ports of embarkation/disembarkation  & airports

It will take time  to get it sorted

JMO

16 hours ago, clairol said:

We have arranged her own air and are now disembarking in Trieste. When I asked our TA about transfers yesterday, this is what I was told 🤞

Just spoke with Oceania and they will be providing the transfers from the port to the airport.

They are going to be coming out with details regarding your transfers in the next few days.

Same here….we have arranged flights on our own a few days in advance of the cruise so we can spend a few days in Venice.  Our TA also told us that Oceania is arranging transport from the airport.  So we expect to just make our way to the airport on embarkation day, and meet up with the Oceania transport there.

1 hour ago, sbsmutoni said:

Same here….we have arranged flights on our own a few days in advance of the cruise so we can spend a few days in Venice.  Our TA also told us that Oceania is arranging transport from the airport.  So we expect to just make our way to the airport on embarkation day, and meet up with the Oceania transport there.

We booked our own hotel in Venice, close to the cruise terminal, checked on transport from airport to Hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal on embarkation day.  Now that you have to go back to the airport, by the time you pay for private transfers to and from the airport (200EU each way for private "boat" for 4 people and luggage) , we are finding it cheaper to use the O hotel package and let them move us along.

1 hour ago, nikless said:

We booked our own hotel in Venice, close to the cruise terminal, checked on transport from airport to Hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal on embarkation day.  Now that you have to go back to the airport, by the time you pay for private transfers to and from the airport (200EU each way for private "boat" for 4 people and luggage) , we are finding it cheaper to use the O hotel package and let them move us along.

@nikless- Can you share more details about this?  When you said that your hotel was close to the cruise terminal, I am picturing something in or near Piazzale Roma, which can be reached by bus or, I believe, land taxi.  So I am surprised to hear that you are expecting to have to pay 200 Euros in each direction.  Also, do you know which hotel Oceania places you in, and how much per night they charge if they make the pre-cruise reservation?

Our frame of reference is this: A few years ago we stayed in Venice for a couple of days on our own prior to a cruise.  In that case, we took a ferry from the airport to the Madonna Dell'Orto stop, which was an easy, couple of minute walk (no bridges) to our hotel.  I don't really remember, but that was maybe around $10-15 per person each way.  This time, we are (at present) planning to stay at the AC Hotel in Venezia, which is right in Piazzale Roma.  We chose it initially because it is in walking distance to the people mover to the cruise port.  Now that we have to get back to the airport instead of the cruise port, I assume that we will take a bus or a land taxi from Piazzale Roma to the airport.  But I might be missing something, which is why I am asking for more details.

Tom & Judy

1 hour ago, TFree said:

@nikless- Can you share more details about this?  When you said that your hotel was close to the cruise terminal, I am picturing something in or near Piazzale Roma, which can be reached by bus or, I believe, land taxi.  So I am surprised to hear that you are expecting to have to pay 200 Euros in each direction.  Also, do you know which hotel Oceania places you in, and how much per night they charge if they make the pre-cruise reservation?

Our frame of reference is this: A few years ago we stayed in Venice for a couple of days on our own prior to a cruise.  In that case, we took a ferry from the airport to the Madonna Dell'Orto stop, which was an easy, couple of minute walk (no bridges) to our hotel.  I don't really remember, but that was maybe around $10-15 per person each way.  This time, we are (at present) planning to stay at the AC Hotel in Venezia, which is right in Piazzale Roma.  We chose it initially because it is in walking distance to the people mover to the cruise port.  Now that we have to get back to the airport instead of the cruise port, I assume that we will take a bus or a land taxi from Piazzale Roma to the airport.  But I might be missing something, which is why I am asking for more details.

Tom & Judy

That was the price quoted by the hotel we booked, Pallazzo Veneziano. Down the Giudecca from the terminal.  Here's what they advised:

1.Private Water Taxi: Your driver will meet you at the arrivals, lead you to your car and assist you in order to board on the private water taxi. Afterwards you may enjoy an exclusive and mesmerizing ride through the Venetian lagoon all the way to the hotel.
The price is  € 190,00 (up to 4 people)  and the journey will last approximately 30 min. 

2. Private Car + Private Water Taxi : Your driver awaits you at the arrivals, and lead you to your car to reach Piazzale Roma where a private water Taxi will be waiting for you. The journey takes a total of 35 minutes, including 10 minutes on board of the water taxi. The price is € 125,00 (up to 4 people)

3. Private Car: Your driver awaits you at the arrivals, afterwards he will lead you all the way to San Basilio for 80€ (4 people). From there you will be accompanied all the way to the check-in

Last time in Venice we stayed at the Carlton Capri, which was a few minutes walk (with less luggage) from the train station as we had arrived from Lucca.  Then took the airport bus at the train station when we left.

In January, our agent told us that the two hotel O uses are the Hotel Bonvecchiati and the Hilton Molino Stucky.  Prices below include the deviation fee (which we already paid for custom air) and transfers.  When I put them into my spreadsheet, using the private option (#1) for transfer, plus the rates our hotel is charging, the cost was similar (less than $100 difference) due having to get back to airport.  So I may be inclined to have O do it all, given that we are packing for 24 days...   Maybe I am missing something...

HOTEL BONVECCHIATI

1st night is $429 per person per night

Additional nights $259 per person per night

HILTON MOLINO STUCKY

1st night is $509 per person per night

Additional nights $329 per person per night

19 minutes ago, nikless said:

That was the price quoted by the hotel we booked, Pallazzo Veneziano. Down the Giudecca from the terminal.  Here's what they advised:

1.Private Water Taxi: Your driver will meet you at the arrivals, lead you to your car and assist you in order to board on the private water taxi. Afterwards you may enjoy an exclusive and mesmerizing ride through the Venetian lagoon all the way to the hotel.
The price is  € 190,00 (up to 4 people)  and the journey will last approximately 30 min. 

2. Private Car + Private Water Taxi : Your driver awaits you at the arrivals, and lead you to your car to reach Piazzale Roma where a private water Taxi will be waiting for you. The journey takes a total of 35 minutes, including 10 minutes on board of the water taxi. The price is € 125,00 (up to 4 people)

3. Private Car: Your driver awaits you at the arrivals, afterwards he will lead you all the way to San Basilio for 80€ (4 people). From there you will be accompanied all the way to the check-in

Last time in Venice we stayed at the Carlton Capri, which was a few minutes walk (with less luggage) from the train station as we had arrived from Lucca.  Then took the airport bus at the train station when we left.

In January, our agent told us that the two hotel O uses are the Hotel Bonvecchiati and the Hilton Molino Stucky.  Prices below include the deviation fee (which we already paid for custom air) and transfers.  When I put them into my spreadsheet, using the private option (#1) for transfer, plus the rates our hotel is charging, the cost was similar (less than $100 difference) due having to get back to airport.  So I may be inclined to have O do it all, given that we are packing for 24 days...   Maybe I am missing something...

HOTEL BONVECCHIATI

HILTON MOLINO STUCKY

Thank you.  Lots of good information here.  We are in a different circumstance, but I will look into this.  We finish a land tour (Collette Travel) on October 15 in Venice.  We could either stay over an extra night at the Collette hotel (Ca' dei Conti), or move to the AC Hotel in Piazzale Roma, which is our current plan.  Once there, it seems like it is an easy trip by bus or taxi to the airport to get Oceania's shuttle.  Plus, we have not booked our airfare with Oceania, much less a deviation fee, so I don't know if we would be paying extra fees just to book a hotel for the night through Oceania.  

Tom & Judy

16 hours ago, nikless said:

HOTEL BONVECCHIATI

HILTON MOLINO STUCKY

Thanks for posting this info.  I didn’t know you could add hotel to your booking later (I’m a first time ‘O’ cruiser).  However, we got a great rate at the Hilton Molino Stucky (nowhere near the price quoted above), and we have budgeted for the transfers to/ from the hotel….not sure how that would compare to what the cruise line offers.

3 hours ago, sbsmutoni said:

Thanks for posting this info.  I didn’t know you could add hotel to your booking later (I’m a first time ‘O’ cruiser).  However, we got a great rate at the Hilton Molino Stucky (nowhere near the price quoted above), and we have budgeted for the transfers to/ from the hotel….not sure how that would compare to what the cruise line offers.

We also were booked to stay at Hilton Molino Stucky for our pre-cruise stay.  The concierge at the hotel send us recommmendations for airport transfers.   We changed to stay at the Hilton in Trieste for the convenience and to explore a beautiful new (to us) city and area.  You will love Venice and the Hilton.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sbsmutoni said:

Yea, when I went to that hotel website, the rate was much cheaper than what O quoted.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:00 PM, TFree said:

Thank you.  Lots of good information here.  We are in a different circumstance, but I will look into this.  We finish a land tour (Collette Travel) on October 15 in Venice.  We could either stay over an extra night at the Collette hotel (Ca' dei Conti), or move to the AC Hotel in Piazzale Roma, which is our current plan.  Once there, it seems like it is an easy trip by bus or taxi to the airport to get Oceania's shuttle.  Plus, we have not booked our airfare with Oceania, much less a deviation fee, so I don't know if we would be paying extra fees just to book a hotel for the night through Oceania.  

Tom & Judy

Do you have info on Oceania’s shuttle? Have you been told it’s a bus? Wondering if they would possibly have smaller transports, like maybe vans.  Good question for our TA to ask Oceania.

4 minutes ago, jeno said:

Do you have info on Oceania’s shuttle? Have you been told it’s a bus? Wondering if they would possibly have smaller transports, like maybe vans.  Good question for our TA to ask Oceania.

No real information yet.  Here is something my travel agent told me today after calling Oceania to see if we need to request the transfer (since we did not book airfare with Oceania):

Transfer to Trieste will become available soon.  There is a chance that you may be able to leave from a more convenient location in Venice. I'll check the end of the week to see if that has been updated.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1