Flying in day before. Do I Stay at Hotel near MIA or stay Close to Port of Miami?

freewilly

In March we are flying in 2 days early into FLL and staying at the Holiday Inn Miami downtown. It is right across from Bayside Market which has lots of shopping and food choices. There is no shuttle to the port which is 5 minutes away but we will Uber.

There are other hotels in the area.

Edited by kenb
  • Like 1

As Bruce mentioned above, unless you  are arriving late and just want a room look at hotels in the downtown Miami area for great dining and nightlife. Lots of suggestions in the Mary Brickell area and close to POM. UberX from MIA to downtown hotels will run about $20 and another $10+ Uber ride will get you to POM the next day.

If you choose to stay near the airport look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood with a local strip mall plus dining and fast food options within walking distance.

Have a great cruise! 😎

I think it depends on what your MO is on the day you fly in, and what time you're arriving in Miami area.  

Are you interested in a wide variety of dining choices and seeing the sights, possible nightlife, and staying at a more expensive hotel, or, are you just looking at a less expensive hotel and want to hang out at the pool and relax and maybe you're not too interested in extensive food options?

I'm wrestling with this choice myself as I'm considering booking out of Miami.  I'll probably be going solo, Miami hotels are quite expensive, and I'm not interested in nightlife too much.  I may just stay at the Blue Lagoon area by the airport unless I can find a hotel price that I can justify.  

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear in a couple of months how the HI POM is, I didn’t see good reviews about it before covid and wonder how it will be once things start up a bit more. 

I am torn between it for saving some $$$, and the Intercontinental as a splurge.  

On 8/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, kenb said:

In March we are flying in 2 days early into FLL and staying at the Holiday Inn Miami downtown. It is right across from Bayside Market which has lots of shopping and food choices. There is no shuttle to the port which is 5 minutes away but we will Uber.

There are other hotels in the area.

Just be careful of this hotel now.. they filed for bankruptcy and the latest reviews are bad.

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Just be careful of this hotel now.. they filed for bankruptcy and the latest reviews are bad.

Thank you for the information. I did a little more research and the found that they want to sell the property for redevlopment. Who knows what would happen by March. Needless to say I cancelled my reservation. I tried to book the Intercontinetal with points and they are booked for reward nights.

How is the Hampton Inn Bricknell downtown?

Edited by kenb

15 hours ago, kenb said:

Thank you for the information. I did a little more research and the found that they want to sell the property for redevlopment. Who knows what would happen by March. Needless to say I cancelled my reservation. I tried to book the Intercontinetal with points and they are booked for reward nights.

How is the Hampton Inn Bricknell downtown?

I haven't stayed at the Hampton, I read great reviews about the YVE which is a couple blocks away from the Holiday Inn, and decided to book it. 

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

I haven't stayed at the Hampton, I read great reviews about the YVE which is a couple blocks away from the Holiday Inn, and decided to book it. 

The YVE looks great but I had Hilton points so my room is free at the Hampton.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

I've read a number of reviews about the YVE (TripAdvisor) and the negatives seem high. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

I've read a number of reviews about the YVE (TripAdvisor) and the negatives seem high. 

lol.. I don't know.. I checked tripadvisor about the YVE.. and most of the reviews seem to be positive , only a few negative ones. But to each their own.. 

15 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

lol.. I don't know.. I checked tripadvisor about the YVE.. and most of the reviews seem to be positive , only a few negative ones. But to each their own.. 

Actually, negatives (poor and terrible) average around 16%. That level is rather high. If you stay there please share your experience with this forum. 

2 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

Actually, negatives (poor and terrible) average around 16%. That level is rather high. If you stay there please share your experience with this forum. 

We are staying there next year.. a group of 10.. I will def share my experience.  🙂

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, CruiserTeri said:

I think they are only around 10 minutes part.  Allot of the hotels say airport/cruise port.

The airport is nowhere near the cruise port, and except for the Blue Lagoon area and Doral, it's a pretty scruffy area.