Tipping in Luminae and Butler tip

Brookefairway

12 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Last time we were in a suite on Celebrity our butler had 12 suites to take care which included 4 Royals, a Penthouse, 3 Celebrity suites and 4 Skys.

Yikes!  Sounds like the whole aft section of deck 6 on an M class.  Hope the pax were 'low maintenance'!

I am not sure about or have ever seen how much butlers receive out of the pre-paid gratuity category.  It might be a smaller % than room stewards or waiters or whatever.  Or larger.  Who knows?  If there is a per diem for butlers and how does it compare?  I have been under the impression (maybe false?) that Butlers get most of their income from our extra tips.  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I am not sure about or have ever seen how much butlers receive out of the pre-paid gratuity category.  It might be a smaller % than room stewards or waiters or whatever.  Or larger.  Who knows?  If there is a per diem for butlers and how does it compare?  I have been under the impression (maybe false?) that Butlers get most of their income from our extra tips.  

In the past "recommended" tips for butlers were the same amount as the room steward.  

3 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

In the past "recommended" tips for butlers were the same amount as the room steward.  

So the daily gratuity for standard accommodations on Celebrity is $15.50 pp/per day.  Still correct?  That was 2020.  And for suites it is $19 pp/per day.  So who gets the extra $3.50 pp/per day? Maybe the butler gets some of this but not the whole amount as others specialized for suites also are compensated.  Is this one way to look at it? 

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So the daily gratuity for standard accommodations on Celebrity is $15.50 pp/per day.  Still correct?  That was 2020.  And for suites it is $19 pp/per day.  So who gets the extra $3.50 pp/per day? Maybe the butler gets some of this but not the whole amount as others specialized for suites also are compensated.  Is this one way to look at it? 

The butler gets the extra $3.50 per person per day, at least that's the way it was presented back when they broke down the actual "recommended" amounts.  They don't do that anymore so I don't know if some of that $3.50 now goes to the "suite manager" or other people besides the butler.

Edited by Gracie115

On 8/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, Brookefairway said:

Yes .. perhaps my question wasnt phrased properly..I know their tips are included  .. but the extra tips for them in cash are they pooled with each other only the luminaie staff?  or the rest of the ship waiters? What is the expected ? what most people do who have stayed in these suites) above the included in a sky or celebrity suite to tip the butler whom we do not ask much of? what have you tipped?

No.  It was phrased perfectly. 🙂

I wish I can answer whether tips to the waiters in Luminae are pooled at all, pooled with only other Luminae waiters, or pooled with all waitstaff (same for butlers).

What is expected?  If gratuities are already included in the cruise fare, then gratuities over and above that shouldn’t be expected.  If you WANT to give an extra tip for outstanding service then that’s your choice.

We’ve done both… no extra tip, and extra tip in cash.  Also, If we have unused OBC, I’ll order a drink ask for the receipt, and write in a nice tip.  The specialty restaurant waiters, bartenders, or sommeliers I’ve done this with are appreciative of the gesture.

This question isn’t related to tipping but has to do with Luminae. 

Would attire that I wear in the MDR meet the dress code requirement? Or can I expect to see men in blazers and dress pants in Luminae?

Just one or two responses are fine. I don’t want this to turn into a dress code thread. 

Thanks in advance. 

6 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Would attire that I wear in the MDR meet the dress code requirement? Or can I expect to see men in blazers and dress pants in Luminae?

Just one or two responses are fine. I don’t want this to turn into a dress code thread. 

Thanks in advance. 

It makes no difference.  The dress code is the dress code.  To look at it another way: Luminae is your main dining room.

11 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, you will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

The butler gets the extra $3.50 per person per day, at least that's the way it was presented back when they broke down the actual "recommended" amounts.  They don't do that anymore so I don't know if some of that $3.50 now goes to the "suite manager" or other people besides the butler.

Let's say the butler gets $3 pp/day.  So $6 a day for a 2-person suite.  $42 for each suite they service on a 7-day cruise. Maybe 10 suites so $420 per week in the standard pre-paid gratuities.  So if they work 10 hr days minimum, that comes out to about $6/hour.  I think they work for the extra tips beyond the standard gratuities.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Let's say the butler gets $3 pp/day.  So $6 a day for a 2-person suite.  $42 for each suite they service on a 7-day cruise. Maybe 10 suites so $420 per week in the standard pre-paid gratuities.  So if they work 10 hr days minimum, that comes out to about $6/hour.  I think they work for the extra tips beyond the standard gratuities.

Yes they do.  No idea how many actual hours they work each day but I DO know they are available from as early as 6:30AM until late into the evening. So $6.00/hour not very good.  We've ALWAYS given extra.  Sometime as little as $20(once..because he just wasn't very good) but usually $50 or more depending on how much we asked of the person and how long the cruise was.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes they do.  No idea how many actual hours they work each day but I DO know they are available from as early as 6:30AM until late into the evening. So $6.00/hour not very good.  We've ALWAYS given extra.  Sometime as little as $20(once..because he just wasn't very good) but usually $50 or more depending on how much we asked of the person and how long the cruise was.

Our standard average tip for a butler is about $50.  More on longer cruises.  More if the butler was very good.  There is no correct amount.  Just what feels right.  That is different for all of us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

It makes no difference.  The dress code is the dress code.  To look at it another way: Luminae is your main dining room.

The only difference from MDR is the Evening Chic dress code does not apply in Luminae, it is smart casual every night. 

13 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

And there you have it summed up perfectly. 

A $20 tip for "not being very good" 

Unbelievable !!!!!! 

I didn't say he was terrible just not as good as others. To each his own, I know of no one on any ship that we have observed that wasn't working hard, yes, they deserve all the $$ they get.  

AND  if I choose to give them $20 or $100 or $500 that's my choice, hopefully it makes up for those who delete tips or don't tip enough for the services rendered. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Also, for those interested, here is the Additional Gratuities Form you can pick up at CS if you want to designate an additional amount to a particular department or to a specific Stateroom Attendant and/or Personal Retreat Host (butler).

00FE7613-4A33-4EF6-B9FA-E7F5C1484421.jpeg

Thanks for posting this.

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For those interested I just got this from CS on the Edge regarding the latest gratuities breakdown. 

A01D6751-79C3-474A-9613-68F860EFD0E8.jpeg

Here’s the actual breakdown as it was explained to me today by CS.

Dining and Culinary Services * - waiters, assistant waiters and maitre ‘D 

Housekeeping Services - cabin attendants and their supervisor

Suite Services - butlers and their supervisor

* With regards to the breakdown of how much each of the Dining and Culinary Services crew members gets is based a large part on an algorithm that includes restaurant occupancy (how many guests the restaurant served during the cruise) and end of cruise ratings with regards to overall rating, services provided and food (the higher the rating the bigger the cut). So if you enjoyed the service at a particular restaurant(s), don’t be shy to give them a 10 because it DOES matter.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

48 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Also, for those interested, here is the Additional Gratuities Form you can pick up at CS if you want to designate an additional amount to a particular department or to a specific Stateroom Attendant and/or Personal Retreat Host (butler).

00FE7613-4A33-4EF6-B9FA-E7F5C1484421.jpeg

Regarding this form if you want to give a specific restaurant an additional amount of gratuities because of the exceptional service they provided, you can list it’s name under Dining Services. The same goes for the other three areas, only in those cases you may want to be more specific and list the specific names just to make sure they get it.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s the actual breakdown as it was explained to me today by CS.

Dining and Culinary Services * - waiters, assistant waiters and maitre ‘D 

Housekeeping Services - cabin attendants and their supervisor

Suite Services - butlers and their supervisor

* With regards to the breakdown of how much each of the Dining and Culinary Services crew members gets is based a large part on an algorithm that includes restaurant occupancy (how many guests the restaurant served during the cruise) and end of cruise ratings with regards to overall rating, services provided and food (the higher the rating the bigger the cut). So if you enjoyed the service at a particular restaurant(s), don’t be shy to give them a 10 because it DOES matter.

I’m a big believer that how staff are compensated is generally none of my business, and I stick to that. But when they insist on explaining, and are internally inconsistent, that’s not helpful. The letter gives a daily breakdown, then says “as well as others who work behind the scenes to enhance your experience”. Then CS gives you a who’s included that only includes front of house people. Those seem like mutually exclusive statements. And you can’t add up to the daily amount and have more for others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Are you saying that they do not get a wage / salary, but just the money from the gratuities that works out at $6/hour?

Or do they get paid a wage / salary, and of course full board, plus an extra $420 a week tip (gratuity) on top of that?  

11 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Are you saying that they do not get a wage / salary, but just the money from the gratuities that works out at $6/hour?

Or do they get paid a wage / salary, and of course full board, plus an extra $420 a week tip (gratuity) on top of that?  

Maybe others know those details.  I definitely do not know.  I was only doing a rough calculation on the prepaid gratuities.

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

I remember a few years back when we had a private discussion with one of our MDR servers on a RCCL cruise. Simply put he told us he got a $50 signing bonus for a 6 month contract plus room and board and the rest of his salary came in the form of gratuities. This was later confirmed by our room steward as I have no issues asking these kind of questions in private of course. After all, for us they’ve been our new found friends for the 3-5 weeks we’ve been cruising with each other. 😎

Whether it was true or not, one thing is for sure. They work long hours and we have no issues giving those that have made our cruise extra special a little extra, usually around $4 per day, and from the genuine smiles we receive, we know they truly appreciate it. But, everyone is different and that’s cool. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markeb said:

I’m a big believer that how staff are compensated is generally none of my business, and I stick to that. But when they insist on explaining, and are internally inconsistent, that’s not helpful. The letter gives a daily breakdown, then says “as well as others who work behind the scenes to enhance your experience”. Then CS gives you a who’s included that only includes front of house people. Those seem like mutually exclusive statements. And you can’t add up to the daily amount and have more for others.

I also asked about the dishwashers, the folks that did the laundry and other “behind the scenes” activities and she said those folks are on full salaries. The tips are pretty much for those folks “out in public” like the folks I mentioned above.

• Like 1