NCL Guest Relations is a Joke

InMyFreeTime

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

OP wanted the convience of the same cabin.  For me, that would be the most important part of the B2B.  Who wants to pack and unpack???  Does it matter if it's the Haven or the smallest, least expensive cabin on the ship?  Absolutely not!

OP was given the option of the same stateroom for both cruises but it was in the less desirable stateroom. I don't know anything about studios so it would help to know why one is so much better than the other.

Mostly everyone agrees that NCL messed up IF the OP had the room first.

For all that we know, NCL might have given the room to the OP after someone booked it. In that case, what should NCL do? (Just a hypothetical for the sake of discussion)

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't know anything about studios so it would help to know why one is so much better than the other.

I commented previously in the thread as to why some may be more desirable than others.  I got lucky and my first experience in a Studio was randomly-assigned and it turned out to be a good spot.

16 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't know anything about studios so it would help to know why one is so much better than the other.

All the Studios are the same but like with real estate...."location, location, location".    People will pick their cabin based on location closest or furthest away from certain bars, attractions, dining rooms, elevators, Studio Lounge, etc.

Considering that on many ships they run from one end of the ship to the other it can save on a lot of walking.

On my last NCL cruise I found out at check-in that my cabin had been given away, actually to someone on a B2B. 

I had a long list of reasons why I booked that particular cabin (as I do every.single. time. Otherwise I'd save money booking a category guarantee). The reasons are my business only.

I boarded and spent  two hours at guest services, missed sailaway, but got the cabin I had paid for. In the end they were pretty nasty about it, telling me they didn't want to hear any further complaints from me.

It was my last NCL cruise and no, loyalty doesn't matter.  I was Platinum which was the highest level at the time.

I had Princess move us once without notification.  It took 3 weeks of arguing before I got my cabin back. That took my big TA with far more clout than I have.

29 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Considering that on many ships they run from one end of the ship to the other it can save on a lot of walking.

Epic, yes.  Breakaway, Getaway, Encore, Bliss, Escape all have the inside room space forward of the forward stairs as the Studio "complex" (as I like to call it) on decks 10, 11 and 12.  What other ships have that many Studio cabins?  Oh, and the FOUR Studios on POA are grouped together in one spot also.

So, the statement would be more "most of the ships have the cluster of cabins in the Studio 'complex', just a choice of deck and if you want to be near the entrance to that space".

Edited by hallux

49 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

What happened to the original poster.  No post in 19 hours...?

That may or not mean anything.  There's an old saying.  "There are three sides to every story, yours, mine and the truth."  I don't think we have enough information here to draw any meaningful conclusions.  If the OP was bumped from a truly high desirable cabin into steerage for the same price, than he/she will likely have our consensus sympathy.  If he/she was bumped from one studio to another identical room, in the same location, than perhaps not so much.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Epic, yes.  Breakaway, Getaway, Encore, Bliss, Escape all have the inside room space forward of the forward stairs as the Studio "complex" (as I like to call it) on decks 10, 11 and 12.  What other ships have that many Studio cabins?  Oh, and the FOUR Studios on POA are grouped together in one spot also.

So, the statement would be more "most of the ships have the cluster of cabins in the Studio 'complex', just a choice of deck and if you want to be near the entrance to that space".

Thanks for the correction.  I was thinking of the Epic and made a generalization. 

I already made a note to self long time ago not to pick & book a cabin that is a connecting one if there are just the two of us. So we do not get bumped out of cabin by families with kids who truly need them. 

Note: “connecting” cabins are the ones that connect to each other via internal door in the cabins. 

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Maybe the OP originally booked a studio that is a connecting one .... and NCL took it from her to give to someone else who needed it so they have 2 connecting cabins. Maybe an elderly or special needs person and a caregiver.

You bring up a good explanation as to why this may have happened.

That being said NCL should have contacted the OP and ask them to switch rather than making a cabin change without their knowledge/consent.

Hope the OP comes back and keeps us updated.... 

• Like 2

Maybe the OP has something more important to do than come back here.

Or maybe the OP was tired of the  implication that he/she is lying or being unreasonable.

When I buy something I want to get what I bought and not a surprise substitute. Seems reasonable.

Not all cabins are the same. We pay more to pick our cabin.

Otherwise it would just be like booking a hotel.

And I know what the TOS say.  Doesn't mean it's good customer service to sub something just because they can.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That may or not mean anything.  There's an old saying.  "There are three sides to every story, yours, mine and the truth."  I don't think we have enough information here to draw any meaningful conclusions.  If the OP was bumped from a truly high desirable cabin into steerage for the same price, than he/she will likely have our consensus sympathy.  If he/she was bumped from one studio to another identical room, in the same location, than perhaps not so much.

True dat

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep. If I was OP, I'd be pouring over the cruise contract signed. If there was no "gotcha" in the contract, I would assume the OP is definitely entitled to some sort of compensation. But cruiselines usually cover their bases in that regard. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, complawyer said:

dear sailing12 away. i think you're missing his point. he had a cabin booked, and somehow it became unbooked. usually when a cabin is booked, it's taken out of the inventory. the cabin number shouldnt have even come up.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. There is mass agreement that the situation sucks and never should have happened. With the amount of time you spend contributing to these boards you should be able to recognize a whiney "wahh, NCL sucks and I want everyone to agree with me" post from someone truly looking for advice on how to resolve a situation that others may have experienced.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Getaway Dec. 22 - 27 2021, Studio cabin $6168 CAD (Inside cabin $1188)

"         Dec. 27 - Jan. 5, 2022 Studio cabin $3123 CAD (inside cabin $1993)

And yes, in each case a balcony is less or only slightly more.  

The thing is, my only purpose posting this was to confirm that the OP @InMyFreeTime had posted accurate prices for the cabin(s) they had confirmed invoices for.  

I didn't accuse the OP of anything.  IMO, you bet, NCL should be held accountable for their mistake and they should be giving the OP what ever cabin OP wants.  Even a Haven HI is less than the Studio cabin they stole and gave to another passenger. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Good luck  @InMyFreeTime. I tend to be pretty gnarly so I'd fight to the finish. 

40 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Thank you, Captain Obvious. There is mass agreement that the situation sucks and never should have happened. With the amount of time you spend contributing to these boards you should be able to recognize a whiney "wahh, NCL sucks and I want everyone to agree with me" post from someone truly looking for advice on how to resolve a situation that others may have experienced.

im sorry, i  interpreted his post as being from someone who is getting the royal shaft from ncl, , not some whinney sob! 

guess you and i just interpreted this post differently. no problem however

• Like 1

I would cancel all of your cruises you have booked with NCL. NCL sucks anyways. Their newer ships are horrible. The top decks are all taken up by nickel and dime gimmicks like go karts and laser tag. Then they have 1 little pool for a ship of 4,500. So lame.

23 minutes ago, Bird82 said:

I would cancel all of your cruises you have booked with NCL. NCL sucks anyways. Their newer ships are horrible. The top decks are all taken up by nickel and dime gimmicks like go karts and laser tag. Then they have 1 little pool for a ship of 4,500. So lame.

well, dont hold back! how do you really feel about ncl? 

personally, however, i completely disagree with  you. ive sailed on many of their ships since 2010, 18 different cruises, and usually, i'm happier than a pig in s**t to be on any one of their fleet. 

sitting on my balcony, watching the sunset, ice cold brew in my hand, what do you have to complain about.  while you are most certainly entitled to your opinion, and absolutely no one should admonish you for them, (disagree with them certainly).  is it possible your expectations are slightly out of wack? 

i dont bother with the go karts or laser tag (if i were sailing with younger children, i would certainly allow them a shot at both of them, and i am fortunate to have a pool and jacuzzi in my back yard, so not using the ships pool is of no great consequence to me.

i've stated before, many times, my criteria is first and foremost the price and an extremely close 2nd is the itinerary. ncl gets my vote on both.

look at carnival.whenever something seems to go really haywire, you can bet your a** its usually a carnival ship.

im sure if a poll was taken, cruisers would find something to complain about regardless of the cruise line, 

so my friend, my advice to you (should you choose to heed it), is make yourself happy, and book with another line.

"nuff said"

• Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, InMyFreeTime said:

What would you do if you had booked and deposited on back to back cruises for 2021 Christmas& New Years in Sept of 2020, in the same premium location cabin for both weeks, only to find out that in August of 2021 someone at NCL reservations went in and moved you out of your cabin for the first cruise and into an extremely undesirable leftover cabin a month previous.  Cruises were linked as back to backs. Guest relations supervisor looked into it and told me that the room had been given to someone else and if I wanted the same room for both weeks now I would now have to settle for leftovers in both weeks.  She went on to tell me that it was my fault that I didnt notice sooner that my room assignment had been changed in error by NCL. 

NCL spends a fortune on programs and advertising to entice new clients but doesnt care or have a clue how to keeps their loyal ones.  Ive really had it with them.  Vacations are suppose to be about getting away from stress. 

I have had some very good interactions with Guest Relations and some very bad ones. It is like 50 50. That does not stop me from turning to Guest Relations.

Who is the someone who did this to you? and why?  I do not understand how this could be done without calling you or emailing you.  Do you have a PCC? Did you call that person?

Want to let you know that last month, I began a discussion titled "Disappointed with NCL" about a disappointing experience that I had with Guest Relations.  I am not going to go into details because of what happened.

I was slaughtered by NCL Devotees. I was even accused about being the kind of person who deliberately falls down in supermarkets to get money out of large corporations. It got so bad that CruiseCritic had to pull my discussion.

Maybe it was my particular situation but I am glad that it seems you have had more positive responses to your posting.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, InMyFreeTime said:

What would you do if you had booked and deposited on back to back cruises for 2021 Christmas& New Years in Sept of 2020, in the same premium location cabin for both weeks, only to find out that in August of 2021 someone at NCL reservations went in and moved you out of your cabin for the first cruise and into an extremely undesirable leftover cabin a month previous.  Cruises were linked as back to backs. Guest relations supervisor looked into it and told me that the room had been given to someone else and if I wanted the same room for both weeks now I would now have to settle for leftovers in both weeks.  She went on to tell me that it was my fault that I didnt notice sooner that my room assignment had been changed in error by NCL. 

NCL spends a fortune on programs and advertising to entice new clients but doesnt care or have a clue how to keeps their loyal ones.  Ive really had it with them.  Vacations are suppose to be about getting away from stress. 

I just responded to your discussion.

After posting, I went back and read most of the responses you received and I realize that some of the NCL devotees who gave me a bad time for criticizing NCL have also started to accuse you of lying, etc.

Let me suggest to you that you do not get sucked in like I did. Do not try t defend yourself or your post.

One of my Facebook friends suggested that I ask the devotees how much NCL paid them to give me a bad time? I am laughing still.

I like traveling alone and I sail NCL because of the studio cabins. I have a 7th cruise booked next August in a studio. I have never even thought about location.

I have very little knowledge of B2B cruises. I know that it means Back to Back and that is about it. Do you stay on the same ship? Do you get any discounts if you book B2B?

1 hour ago, bostonphil said:

I just responded to your discussion.

After posting, I went back and read most of the responses you received and I realize that some of the NCL devotees who gave me a bad time for criticizing NCL have also started to accuse you of lying, etc.

Let me suggest to you that you do not get sucked in like I did. Do not try t defend yourself or your post.

One of my Facebook friends suggested that I ask the devotees how much NCL paid them to give me a bad time? I am laughing still.

I like traveling alone and I sail NCL because of the studio cabins. I have a 7th cruise booked next August in a studio. I have never even thought about location.

I have very little knowledge of B2B cruises. I know that it means Back to Back and that is about it. Do you stay on the same ship? Do you get any discounts if you book B2B?

boston phil. back to back cruises are when you take a cruise from one port and at the end of the cruise, the ship immediately continues on to another itinerary.  it just disembarks the previous passengers and prepares to sail with the new group. if you are planning to do back to back, it's best to book the same cabin, as then you wont have to pack up and move somewhere else.

example: we are currently booked on the ncl star trans-atlantic from lisbon to rio nov 2022. (14 days).

from rio, the ship then goes on a 7 day cruise from rio to buenas aires. from buenas aires, it continues on. you can do back to back to back, as longs you dont mind being on a ship all those days.  again, book the same cabin all the way through. we did a back to back from venice (greek isles each 7 days) started and ended both times in venice. after the 1st cruise was, we took a ncl guided tour of venice (incidentally a magnificent city) got priority t o get back on the ship, and waited until it left for the 2nd cruise. by the way on the 2nd cruise we were advised we didnt need to attend the muster drill.

3 minutes ago, lizygirl3 said:

I have noticed that the original poster came on, ruffled our feathers with their issue, and has not returned.  Suspicious….. 

I suspect that we asked too many questions that he/she didn't want to answer.  The story started to unravel when the OP mentioned that it was studio cabins being discussed.

2 hours ago, lizygirl3 said:

I have noticed that the original poster came on, ruffled our feathers with their issue, and has not returned.  Suspicious….. 

Not really.  Maybe just low tolerance for ignorant BS.

• Like 3