COVID 19 Travel Protection Plan Mandatory for US port to Caribbean?

knot knormal

8 minutes ago, knot knormal said:

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral to the Caribbean and we are both fully vaccinated.  The wording is slightly ambiguous....is the Travel Protection Plan mandatory?

When are you sailing?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises

This page shows the various requirements based on which ship and sail date. They just updated the page on the 19th and it appears they've relaxed the insurance requirement for vaccinated individuals.

Edited by DCGuy64

This is from the MSC web page ....  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises  

TRAVEL INSURANCE RECOMMENDED: MSC Cruises strongly recommends fully vaccinated guests purchase Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 (view coverage/policy) or purchase travel insurance through your Travel Advisor or other insurance provider. 

It is recommended, not mandatory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, back-at-it said:

This is from the MSC web page ....  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises  

TRAVEL INSURANCE RECOMMENDED: MSC Cruises strongly recommends fully vaccinated guests purchase Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19 (view coverage/policy) or purchase travel insurance through your Travel Advisor or other insurance provider. 

It is recommended, not mandatory.

Correct...always recommended, never mandatory. I just returned and did not have to purchase insurance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knot knormal said:

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral to the Caribbean and we are both fully vaccinated.

44 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

... unless you are unvaccinated. Then it is always mandatory.

The OP clearly stated this was for fully vaccinated. 

And now, at least for the next few months, you must be vaccinated unless under 12 years old. But keep checking because the requirements are changing frequently. I was surprised, but grateful, when MSC sent a text last week with the new vaccination requirement (we are fully vaccinated). We cruise on the Divina on Oct. 3.

6 hours ago, Shippy said:

I thought that MSC provided the insurance, free of charge,  if you were vaccinated and sailing before 10/31/21.

Has this changed ?

No change as of yesterday, well, I can't commit to exact dates, but site was like back at it reported as of yesterday.

13 hours ago, Shippy said:

I thought that MSC provided the insurance, free of charge,  if you were vaccinated and sailing before 10/31/21.

Has this changed ?

MSC website shows the following (as of today) along with the difference between "MSC Cruises Covid-19 Assistance" and "Travel Protection Plan with Coverage for Covid-19". The first one is the one that is free of charge, the other one you pay for.

Cruises departing from US ports:
MSC Cruises COVID-19 Assistance will be provided at no extra charge for guests who are fully vaccinated, including kids under 12 years old traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians (with proof of vaccination).

Link: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

I hope this is helpful to someone. I'm having a hard time navigating the ins and outs of MSC app and website for my cruise and appreciate all the help I've received on this Board. 🙂

5 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

MSC website shows the following (as of today) along with the difference between "MSC Cruises Covid-19 Assistance" and "Travel Protection Plan with Coverage for Covid-19". The first one is the one that is free of charge, the other one you pay for.

Cruises departing from US ports:
MSC Cruises COVID-19 Assistance will be provided at no extra charge for guests who are fully vaccinated, including kids under 12 years old traveling with fully vaccinated parents/guardians (with proof of vaccination).

Link: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

I hope this is helpful to someone. I'm having a hard time navigating the ins and outs of MSC app and website for my cruise and appreciate all the help I've received on this Board. 🙂

Thanks for this. I have noticed that the sail by date of October 31 has disappeared from their Covid Insurance Plan page and policies charts.

11 minutes ago, phissy said:

Thanks for this. I have noticed that the sail by date of October 31 has disappeared from their Covid Insurance Plan page and policies charts.

Yes, I should have included that this info appears after you click on "The Bahamas & Caribbean Cruise" and then click on

MSC Meraviglia and MSC Divina Cruises Beginning September 3 through & including October 31, 2021 departing from PortMiami and PortCanaveral

- FULLY VACCINATED

When you click on "All Cruises Departing From Miami and Orlando (Port Canaveral) Beginning November 1, 2021 onward"  you get:

Not fully vaccinated Passengers will still be REQUIRED to purchase insurance.

So many things to think about! I now have 13 cruises booked with 4 different companies and my head is spinning!

Edited by NRWPA

19 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

True, but for someone skimming the thread to find the answer to the question posed in the title, seeing "never mandatory" might give them the wrong impression.

LOL, if you are going to worry about poor reading skills then there are lots of posts you should "correct"

Bottom line, my post was correct. Your post makes it seem like it wasn't.

• Like 1