Eurodam - help with cabin choice for someone who gets seasick?

pennyroyal00

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!  Quick question for anyone who knows. 

My spouse gets sea sick easily and, overall, has motion triggered issues due to a bad concussion from years ago.  We still go cruising, but have to load up on patches, acupuncture, bracelets, etc.  We are set to go on a Greek Islands cruise on Eurodam.  As it is a very special occasion (round number birthdays for both of us) and we got a good deal, I splurged on a Neptune Suite for the first time. 

We got assigned SB 5186 and the alternative options available to us for rooms are SB 6064, 6060 or 6061.  HAL tells me that SB 5186 is better and that we won’t feel much difference to these other more mid-ship cabin options from motion sickness perspective due to stabilizers and itinerary.  We've never sailed in the Mediterranean and have always picked mid-ship cabins before.  I'd hate to make things worse by picking the wrong cabin and am leaning towards changing it just to be safe, but if HAL is right, then maybe it would be ok to stay where we got assigned.  I have no point of reference for what HAL means when they say it's a "better" cabin.

Does anyone have personal experience they can share or a recommendation to make on this one?  Thanks in advance!

I too can suffer from Mal de mer,  but I absolutely loved the aft wrap Neptune.   It can seem to have a bit of a corkscrew shimmy at times.   They are beautiful suites but you would be safer low. And mid ship.   Also I take Bonine with me just in case I need it.

• Like 1

You do not want 5186. Out of the choice from the others I would choose 6064. Would you consider a Signature Suite? No Neptune amenities but could put you further back amidships. Add Club Orange and it would be close to what a Neptune offers.

My wife, when needed, is prepared with wrist bands, dramamine, ginger gum, and ginger capsules. We sailed on a 20 day Med cruise both West and East the end of 2019. We had perfect weather the whole cruise and she never had to take any precautions. But- there is always the but.

• Like 2

6064 would be our choice also. Love the back corner wrap, but not if motion sickness is an issue. Do stick with a Neptune Suite. Eurodam does not offer a separate dining room for Club Orange, so in our opinion, it does not come close to a Neptune Suite if you downgraded to an SS and added the Club Orange option.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t do an aft if your DH suffers from Mal de Mer.

You list a ton of products.  DH starts taking ginger pills a few days before sailing and finally after years, agreed to eat green apples and crackers when he was unwell.  He bounced back right away.  

He doesn’t suffer often but can (especially on TA for one day).  This seemed to do the trick.  But no way would I book an aft for him.  Keep your ovation as mid ship as you can.

And don’t forget walks outside in the fresh air can be really helpful.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for the advice!  Greatly appreciated

Based on the input, I decided not to take any chances and got us moved to 6064. Feel much better about that now and can go back to worrying about all the other covid-time travel items instead haha

I'll add some ginger to our "kit".  Never heard about the green apples and crackers before...

• Like 5

I'd still have the tried but true Bonine on hand, it's an antiemetic as well as antimotionsickness, a quarter pill a couple times a day keeps the porcelain god away.  A full dose will make you super tired.  I have ear problems and I have to take it a lot, so Bonine is my friend.  The part of the ship I really have issues is in the MDR, because it's in the back and I have a 180 view of the water.  

Tip: always pack your own Bonine, the medical center has been known to run out when rough seas are frequent. 

P.S. Ironically, if I'm cruising with an active ear issue, I won't have any motion problems at all because the ship's movement matches my vertigo.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, pennyroyal00 said:

Thank you everyone for the advice!  Greatly appreciated

Based on the input, I decided not to take any chances and got us moved to 6064. Feel much better about that now and can go back to worrying about all the other covid-time travel items instead haha

I'll add some ginger to our "kit".  Never heard about the green apples and crackers before...

The green apples used to be on HAL's dedicated mal de mer menu, don't know if they still are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I'd still have the tried n true Bonine on hand, it's an antiemetic as well as antimotionsickness, a quarter pill a couple times a day keeps the porcelain god away.  A full dose will make you super tired.  I have ear problems and I have to take it a lot, so Bonine is my friend.  The part of the ship I really have issues is in the MDR, because it's in the back and I have a 180 view of the water.  

Tip: always pack your own Bonine, the medical center has been known to run out when rough seas are frequent. 

I agree re Bonine.  It's melclizine (generic) and you can order it online from various places easily in the 12.5 mg strength (or 25 mg). We've had good luck with 12.5 mg.  Normal strength is 25 mg.  I have used it since 1959!!  Thing to remember, you have to take it BEFORE you get sick, so if the Capt. says seas will be rocky that night, or day, take it before it gets rocky.  Normally, it's a once daily med.  It may make you a little sleepy, but that's better than mal de mer we think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

I agree re Bonine.  It's melclizine (generic) and you can order it online from various places easily in the 12.5 mg strength (or 25 mg). We've had good luck with 12.5 mg.  Normal strength is 25 mg.  I have used it since 1959!!  Thing to remember, you have to take it BEFORE you get sick, so if the Capt. says seas will be rocky that night, or day, take it before it gets rocky.  Normally, it's a once daily med.  It may make you a little sleepy, but that's better than mal de mer we think.

I second this.  I start mine before sail away.  I've been taking it 30 years, so you got me beat.  I find it takes about 20 minutes to kick in, so if you're already nauseous, you might need to find a bathroom 😁

Edited by atexsix

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

I second this.  I start mine before sail away.  I've been taking it 30 years, so you got me beat.  I find it takes about 20 minutes to kick in.  

We do, too!  Exactly.  Usually we unpack and then about 4:00 or so, we take the pill at/just before sailaway.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

We do, too!  Exactly.  Usually we unpack and then about 4:00 or so, we take the pill at/just before sailaway.

I've had some rough nights.....on land and sea.....those 20 minutes will feel like 2 hours.  But you'll fall into a blissful sleep.....however, you will wake up hung, so be sure to allow yourself some extra time in the morning.

Edited by atexsix

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I've had some rough nights.....on land and sea.....those 20 minutes will feel like 2 hours.

Listen to the captain's announcements.  HAL is good, I've found, about telling folks over the loudspeaker (oh, showing my age saying loudspeaker)/PA system when he/she expects the seas to be rocky.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 12cruise2 said:

Listen to the captain's announcements.  HAL is good, I've found, about telling folks over the loudspeaker (oh, showing my age saying loudspeaker)/PA system when he/she expects the seas to be rocky.

What is it if it's not a loudspeaker? LoL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

I worked with a gal that pointed to an old IBM Selectric and asked what it was.

I'm like, "young lady, believe it or not, that was once cutting edge technology" LOL

Totally off topic, but your comment reminded me of my days in typing class.  We would all be on time because the classroom only had 3 IBM Selectrics and all the rest were old Remingtons, so only the fast kids got the electric typewriters..  But I admit to still missing the feel and sound of throwing that carriage. If you ever get to Chicago, visit the American Writers Museum; they have an interactive room full of all kinds of typewriters, including those old Remingtons AND Selectrics and you can type to your heart's content.

St Louis Sal  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Totally off topic, but your comment reminded me of my days in typing class.  We would all be on time because the classroom only had 3 IBM Selectrics and all the rest were old Remingtons, so only the fast kids got the electric typewriters..  But I admit to still missing the feel and sound of throwing that carriage. If you ever get to Chicago, visit the American Writers Museum; they have an interactive room full of all kinds of typewriters, including those old Remingtons AND Selectrics and you can type to your heart's content.

St Louis Sal  

My typing class had selectric 2's and 3's, I loved those typewriters and I have to say that I agree with you, I also kind of miss using one, there was a certain satisfaction to them, maybe the tactile-ness.

Will look into the museum, I bet it'd be fascinating.

Okay, sorry to be OT.

Edited by atexsix