Another Coved Test Question

GranysT

I know they are requiring a negative coved test within 3 days of your cruise. My question is can you take the test 1 or 2 days ahead?  Does it make a difference?  Is it more advantages to take the test 1, 2, or 3 days ahead?  Of course I'm talking about the rapid antigen test. 

2 minutes ago, GranysT said:

I know they are requiring a negative coved test within 3 days of your cruise. My question is can you take the test 1 or 2 days ahead?  Does it make a difference?  Is it more advantages to take the test 1, 2, or 3 days ahead?  Of course I'm talking about the rapid antigen test. 

We fly in the day before, so we will test three days ahead to get the results as soon as possible. This gives us the most time to change flights, etc. in case one of us is positive.

Sorry, I didn't get to ask my question before it posted. Oops. 

I was just checking the CVS sites for Coved testing. It says some cruises are requiring up to 3 coved tests.  Is Carnival requiring more than 1 test?

Also, they list a rapid Antigen test, or something called a PCRNAAT test. Which one is Carnival requiring?

I'm not cruising until Nov, just trying to get all my ducks in a row, so I know what to do.

Wouldn;t it be lovely if by Nov, all this Coved is a thing of the past.  Not likely, I'm sure.  

• Like 1

Am I understanding you can get the PCRNAAT test earlier than the 3 day requirement?  If so, it will still be recognized by Carnival?  Or did she mean, schedule the test in advance, but make it within the 3 day window?   Is the one test more expensive than the other?

1 minute ago, GranysT said:

Am I understanding you can get the PCRNAAT test earlier than the 3 day requirement?  If so, it will still be recognized by Carnival?  Or did she mean, schedule the test in advance, but make it within the 3 day window?   Is the one test more expensive than the other?

All tests need to fall within the 3 day window. If you are getting a PCR NAAT test, I would take it three days ahead instead of 1 or 2 days ahead since the results can take longer than rapid tests. As far as actually scheduling a test with a provider, that depends on what is available where you live. There are lots of threads on what people have been dealing with regarding obtaining testing. 

Only one test required for vaxxed guests.  UP TO 3 days ahead of time.  Many folks get their test done as early as possible to manage any last minute challenges such as a delayed or inconclusive result.  We're testing today for our cruise Saturday. Once that Negative paperwork is in hand, we'll be set.  No reason to delay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GranysT said:

The PCR NAAT tests are considered more accurate and take longer to get results back. This is what is typically required for unvaccinated cruisers.

The antigen tests (along with a few others) can normally be completed in under 30 minutes and are just fine for vaccinated cruisers.

You can schedule them in advance, but the test sample must be taken in the 3 day window before your sailing date. So if you sail on a Sunday, the test sample must be taken on Thur/Fri/Sat.

Edit: If you tell them you are taking the tests for travel to prevent spread the tests should be free.

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GranysT said:

Am I understanding you can get the PCRNAAT test earlier than the 3 day requirement?  If so, it will still be recognized by Carnival?

No. All tests must fall in the three day window. Another poster was talking about a lady who was denied boarding on a recent cruise because her test was four days out.

I read on JH’s FB page something that I am going to look into.  

Someone said they contacted their primary care doctor and asked about a Covid test for travel.

The doctor told them to let her know when they need the test done and she’d “get you taken care of, and get you the results that same day.”   And they did. 

Not sure if this cost $$ to do it this way rather than through CVS. 

My issue is I’m sailing Saturday Nov 27, which means I need to test on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving because of the Thursday/Friday holiday.  

Anyway, another option …

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

I read on JH’s FB page something that I am going to look into.  

Someone said they contacted their primary care doctor and asked about a Covid test for travel.

The doctor told them to let her know when they need the test done and she’d “get you taken care of, and get you the results that same day.”   And they did. 

Not sure if this cost $$ to do it this way rather than through CVS. 

My issue is I’m sailing Saturday Nov 27, which means I need to test on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving because of the Thursday/Friday holiday.  

Anyway, another option …

The BiNax Telehealth tests might be your best option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GranysT said:

If you cruise is on Sunday, many people fly in Saturday. So there's a preference to get the test done on Thursday or Friday so that they will get the results back and know they are good to leave prior to Saturday. PCR tests and rapid antigen tests are both acceptable. Rapid antigen tests results should come back the same day, so technically you could get it on Saturday. But Rapid antigen tests have a slightly higher rate of false positives. PCR tests take 1-3 days to get results, so you would definitely want to do that one on Thursday. 

The timing is really just personal preference. It's alot like flying in a day ahead. Many people just "feel" better having the negative test results in hand ahead of time so test as early in the 72 hour window as possible. We have a trip coming up where we need a negative test, and I do plan to get the test as early as allowed; both to increase likelihood of getting results back in time and to be able to stop stressing about the possibility of testing positive. 

I stopped in at our Walgreens near us and she said they only do the PCR and they could not guarantee a result in 3 days.  They did not do the Rapid antigen.    Pharmacist said she would like to have word with these cruise companies about their 3 day timing.

I am also looking to get our ducks in a row, cruise isn't until Oct. 31, trying to get everything lined up so we are  not running around looking for a place to get tested.  Have found that CVS, not all of them, will do the Rapid antigen test.

15 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

I stopped in at our Walgreens near us and she said they only do the PCR and they could not guarantee a result in 3 days.  They did not do the Rapid antigen.    Pharmacist said she would like to have word with these cruise companies about their 3 day timing.

I am also looking to get our ducks in a row, cruise isn't until Oct. 31, trying to get everything lined up so we are  not running around looking for a place to get tested.  Have found that CVS, not all of them, will do the Rapid antigen test.

My daughter is in a similar situation.  She's in Washington state, Walgreens only does pcr.  I told her to look into walmart.  No CVS out there.  Anther possible option is at the airport.  I've heard that some airlines have testing available in the airport.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, babygrljaz said:

My daughter is in a similar situation.  She's in Washington state, Walgreens only does pcr.  I told her to look into walmart.  No CVS out there.  Anther possible option is at the airport.  I've heard that some airlines have testing available in the airport.  Good luck.

We have them, but she may not be close to one. Are any of these close enough for a drive?

2851AF81-3735-4E6C-AD78-D5FC6600A282.png

1 hour ago, babygrljaz said:

Correct, none close to her.  Guess i should've said that 🙂

That’s to bad. I’m hoping the ones by me do rapid tests. I don’t leave until Oct 1, but just one more thing to add.

• Like 1

I'm in the "angst" brigade along with others....Plenty of CVS/ Walgreens around..only 1 offer Rapid....next one close is 75 miles away. I got the Bimax proctored test ordered, going to be a real job trying to figure it out...but this is only resort.....Whew....Lotta hoops to jump thru....

We just received our 3rd shot today ('Booster'). We are both in our 70's age wise. With this 'added' protection, do we still need a negative test to board. Our cruise isn't until Dec but, like everyone else, we need all the info in advance.

Cheers

Len

10 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We just received our 3rd shot today ('Booster'). We are both in our 70's age wise. With this 'added' protection, do we still need a negative test to board. Our cruise isn't until Dec but, like everyone else, we need all the info in advance.

Cheers

Len

Yes, everyone is still required to test

Edited by pogoism9

5 hours ago, retiredgram said:

Yeah, you don't want to do it by walking into Walgreens or CVS and asking them. You want to check their websites which will tell you what locations have what type of tests available for tests on what date. It may not be your closest CVS or Walgreens, it might be the tenth closest that has the type of test you want on the date you want. So you might have to drive half an hour or something for a test.

If you need it for an October 31st cruise though, it's too early to book your appointment now. One of the two major drug store chains has appointment up to two weeks in advance though, I don't recall which one,

• Like 1

Yay!  Wife and I both studied hard and passed our rapid tests at CVS today.  So awesome it was only 1 mile down the street.  Results printed and tucked in with vaxx cards and passports.  Only took 18 months of rescheduling, but now its finally time to Honeymoon!!!

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 2