Covid test 72 hours before trip.

tncruiser11

35 minutes ago, Brickwood said:

While public health requirements are that you isolate if testing positive, I'm not aware of any enforcement, but I would hope they'd follow up with you.  And though it should go without saying, I'll say it anyway - anyone who chooses to disregard that policy is unbelievably selfish in their cavalier disregard for others.

Thanks for the sermon.  I asked some reasonable questions, and all I'm getting is noise.  Here's what has actually been posted (not a bunch of made up stuff people imply after reading between the lines).  NCL has apparently stated that they won't reimburse a Covid test failing passenger who didn't have a negative test 72 hours before sailing.  The consensus is that they will refund the cruise, just not any costs that (unnamed) authorities apply to pay for a mandatory isolation.  I asked who these "authorities" are and the silence is deafening.  In the absence of any real facts, my assumption is that they just tell you to go away and you're on your own from that point.  Do you have any evidence to the contrary?  I don't need to be told for the third time that I can't get on a plane or train or rent a car.  I never asked about any of that.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you don't you will not receive any support from NCL should you test positive. Just turned over to the local COVID police to be placed in quarantine at your own expense. 

As a reminder, it was this statement that prompted my original questions.  Despite the poster telling us how it was going to happen, she really can't seem to provide any details.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tncruiser11 said:

This is what is stated in the faq section of sale safe under the bullet "Will I receive a refund if I test positive for covid-19 before boarding?"

Guests, and their travel companions assigned to the same stateroom, that cancel a cruise due to receiving a positive COVID-19 test result, dated within 2 weeks of their sail date, will be permitted to apply the full value of all amounts paid to a future cruise credit or, at the guest's discretion, be provided a cash refund. Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund.

Interesting.  I read that FAQ not long ago (past week, maybe?) and the clause about not testing in advance was not in there.  As I mentioned earlier, I was going to get tested anyway because I have to fly to my port.  What's the point of doing that if you're going to be quarantined far from home and not sail, to say nothing of potentially exposing others in the airport?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks for the sermon.  I asked some reasonable questions, and all I'm getting is noise.  Here's what has actually been posted (not a bunch of made up stuff people imply after reading between the lines).  NCL has apparently stated that they won't reimburse a Covid test failing passenger who didn't have a negative test 72 hours before sailing.  The consensus is that they will refund the cruise, just not any costs that (unnamed) authorities apply to pay for a mandatory isolation.  I asked who these "authorities" are and the silence is deafening.  In the absence of any real facts, my assumption is that they just tell you to go away and you're on your own from that point.  Do you have any evidence to the contrary?  I don't need to be told for the third time that I can't get on a plane or train or rent a car.  I never asked about any of that.

I think it depends on the home port location. In Europe, yes you are turned over to the police and they force you to quarantine, they have much stricter laws and regulations. In the US nobody is enforcing anything. They would probably just request that you quarantine. No one is checking covid tests to travel domestically. Would it be selfish, sure, but the reality is tons of people are doing this already and the spread is already uncontrolled in the US. 

39 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Interesting.  I read that FAQ not long ago (past week, maybe?) and the clause about not testing in advance was not in there.  As I mentioned earlier, I was going to get tested anyway because I have to fly to my port.  What's the point of doing that if you're going to be quarantined far from home and not sail, to say nothing of potentially exposing others in the airport?

If you test negative on PCR before your flight then the odds are very good you will test negative at the port and you will have a good sailing. Plus you are not exposing people along the way. If you don’t test beforehand and come up positive, you will miss the cruise, possibly not get a refund and maybe need to quarantine depending on the country. 
Vs. 

If you test positive before your flight, just call NCL, get a refund and don’t travel.

Edited by classy_cruiser
A word
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

I think it depends on the home port location. In Europe, yes you are turned over to the police and they force you to quarantine, they have much stricter laws and regulations. In the US nobody is enforcing anything. They would probably just request that you quarantine. No one is checking covid tests to travel domestically. Would it be selfish, sure, but the reality is tons of people are doing this already and the spread is already uncontrolled in the US. 

Thank you.  That is the type of helpful information I was looking for.  It sounds like these domestic "Covid police" may just be the ghosts that I suspected.  Here's why this is useful information in this thread.  If there are no domestic Covid police, than there would likely not be some authoritarian invoked mandatory quarantine costs for NCL to reimburse.  Why does this make a difference?  It pokes at the self-test vs. drug store/lab concerns.  If I can get the same information from a self test, just not the documentation acceptable to NCL, some may choose to just go that route if their work/travel schedules make it difficult to have somebody else administer their 72 hour test.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thank you.  That is the type of helpful information I was looking for.  It sounds like these domestic "Covid police" may just be the ghosts that I suspected.  Here's why this is useful information in this thread.  If there are no domestic Covid police, than there would likely not be some authoritarian invoked mandatory quarantine costs for NCL to reimburse.  Why does this make a difference?  It pokes at the self-test vs. drug store/lab concerns.  If I can get the same information from a self test, just not the documentation acceptable to NCL, some may choose to just go that route if their work/travel schedules make it difficult to have somebody else administer their 72 hour test.

Don’t forget though…if you become positive during the cruise, you and your traveling companions will be removed from the ship. Without the PCR test, all costs become yours, if you have no insurance, and anything beyond your insurance coverage becomes yours.

Edited by Cruiser021421

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wouldn’t you still lose your cruise fare if you test positive at boarding and you only have a picture of a negative self test? That would be my only worry for a domestic cruise 

46 minutes ago, classy_cruiser said:

Wouldn’t you still lose your cruise fare if you test positive at boarding and you only have a picture of a negative self test? That would be my only worry for a domestic cruise 

I am still under the impression (if I’m reading the sail safe info on the website correctly) that if you test positive at the pier you will be reimbursed for the cruise fare but NOT for any related quarantine costs without the said 72 hour negative test results.  If you are going to go through the extra effort of getting the additional test (and if you are flying to the port, then that makes a lot of sense) then getting  the appropriate printed out or digital results also makes a lot of sense, right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are they requiring a PCR test specifically now?

Doesn't look like it. AS of now: Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

Doesn't look like it. AS of now: Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

for Sept 4th Encore, I am doing Antigen before traveling. The turnaround time for PCR right now is too uncertain. 

I did a PCR at CVS drive through this morning (as I was on Amtrak/concerts last week but double masked). I had the following observations:

I did the swab sample myself- even though they gave me instructions through the window, what if I messed up- or someone could err- its possible.

Even though I have wipes, you are using the same bin to retrieve the materials in that someone else used, you place the sample in a bag and then in a box which they give you a small wipe for (used my own).

So there is always a small % chance you can actually get infected from going to the test it seems.

So what happens for those who sail Sunday, but i.e. fly to Seattle Thursday at the 72 hour mark, and get there perhaps less than 72 hours? I assume you have to get a PCR Thursday or Antigen at that point?

2 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I did a PCR at CVS drive through this morning (as I was on Amtrak/concerts last week but double masked). I had the following observations:

I did the swab sample myself- even though they gave me instructions through the window, what if I messed up- or someone could err- its possible.

Even though I have wipes, you are using the same bin to retrieve the materials in that someone else used, you place the sample in a bag and then in a box which they give you a small wipe for (used my own).

So there is always a small % chance you can actually get infected from going to the test it seems.

So what happens for those who sail Sunday, but i.e. fly to Seattle Thursday at the 72 hour mark, and get there perhaps less than 72 hours? I assume you have to get a PCR Thursday or Antigen at that point?

Sail dates are Saturdays from Seattle. Plan accordingly.

21 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I've tested on several occasions at CVS so I'm familiar with the process.  I wouldn't be too concerned about catching the virus from the depository box because it's not a surface virus, it's airborne.  At the peak of things last Summer, it would take 2-3 weeks to get results from Quest, so the test was utterly worthless.  Since then, I've gone to a county site which has been a lot quicker/more efficient (now there's a surprise!)  They use a different lab.

As for when to test, you'd need to do it in Seattle, since you're going to be there more than 72 hours before the cruise, though if I were you I might also test at home before getting on the plane.  If you're positive it doesn't make sense to get on the plane in the first place as you'll only need to quarantine.  And I'd suppose that NCL wouldn't pick up the tab if your Thursday pretest (albeit in Seattle) came back positive.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

While no one “checks” for domestic flights or trains, you affirm at check in that you have no positive tests or symptoms. (Gotta answer the question on the check in screen). 

Bottom line is that if you are not in your own car, you would be stuck at your embarkation port without assistance to arrange a private charter home. Or a quarantine location.

And yes, the level of attention you get is based on location. Bottom line here is that you are held in the testing facility until you pass. 

And I totally agree that it would be reckless for anyone to endanger the passengers on a plane and the crew who service many flights by traveling if you know you are infected. It is amazing how hard it is to get some to understand that fact. They think you are preaching to them. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And I totally agree that it would be reckless for anyone to endanger the passengers on a plane and the crew who service many flights by traveling if you know you are infected. It is amazing how hard it is to get some to understand that fact. They think you are preaching to them. 

There it is!!  One more accusatory post against an infraction that nobody ever suggested they intended to commit.  Who is it you think fails to understand this?

I get it that the urge to be self-righteous is overwhelming for some here, but that doesn't change was has, and what has not, been posted by others.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Wouldn’t you still lose your cruise fare if you test positive at boarding and you only have a picture of a negative self test?

The majority here seem to feel that you would receive a refund of your cruise, just not assistance with mandatory quarantine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruiser021421 said:

Here it is for those who haven’t read it on the NCL site.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Yep.

"If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

Please note, there is nothing in that text that addresses refund of the actual cruise costs.  That is why many feel that the cruise would be refunded regardless.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Please note, there is nothing in that text that addresses refund of the actual cruise costs.  That is why many feel that the cruise would be refunded regardless.

This is the wording on sail safe that makes me think one wouldnt get a dime for the cruise or anything else.  

Guests who are denied boarding due to a violation of protocols, for example not testing in advance, will not receive a refund.

Just my 2 cents - Each of us has to make our own decision to test or not to test prior to boarding, to test with a pharmacy or self-test via teledoc that does meet NCL requirements.  In doing so, we will all be ok with where ever we land. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.

"If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

Perhaps calling NCL would answer those questions. No one on this board knows for sure.

46 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Ha! Call NCL three times and I am confident you will get three different answers.

Yep.  We may not know what will really happen until somebody who tests positive at port reports their experience here on the forum or elsewhere on the internet.  Since we're talking about a miniscule population, I doubt we'll ever really know.

• Like 1