Baltimore cruisers: Would you...

shipgeeks

MSC's Armonia, and perhaps others, are a similar size to Enchantment and Pride, so presumably would fit.

I'm sure it's just my fantasy, as I believe the Port can only accommodate parking for two ships sailing on different days, but, after sailing on MSC just before the lockdowns, we got a new favorite cruise line. MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company) has a Status Match program wherein those with a loyalty level with another line can apply for a match, with some nice benefits.

It would be so nice to be able to sail MSC without having to fly to Florida!  

On 8/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, shipgeeks said:

MSC's Armonia, and perhaps others, are a similar size to Enchantment and Pride, so presumably would fit.

I'm sure it's just my fantasy, as I believe the Port can only accommodate parking for two ships sailing on different days, but, after sailing on MSC just before the lockdowns, we got a new favorite cruise line. MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company) has a Status Match program wherein those with a loyalty level with another line can apply for a match, with some nice benefits.

It would be so nice to be able to sail MSC without having to fly to Florida!  

There is plenty of parking in the South Locust Point Marine Terminal where Cruise Maryland is located

On 8/27/2021 at 11:20 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I think Armonia’s masthead is about 175’ and both Key and Bay Bridges have 185’ clearance — so it should be possible.

I've cruised from Baltimore six times and it never looks like the ship is going to clear the Key Bridge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mskaufman said:

I've cruised from Baltimore six times and it never looks like the ship is going to clear the Key Bridge

You should stand on the after deck of QM2 as she heads under the Verrazanno Bridge leaving NY -- you would swear she will lost her mast.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Being out on a top deck to witness that is our "must do" sailaway tradition.  It never fails to elicit a WOW,

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You should stand on the after deck of QM2 as she heads under the Verrazanno Bridge leaving NY -- you would swear she will lost her mast.

I've sailed under Verrazano Br and it must have been a smaller ship because it didn't seem as close.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:37 PM, mskaufman said:

I’m booked to sail out of Baltimore in February 2022. What is it like for sail

away weather-wise? I’m not sure what to expect or for how long we will

have cold weather onboard. 

10 hours ago, bmci3398 said:

It could be cold (or not)!  We have sailed in January many times.  We board in long pants, sweater, winter coat, and wear those out on deck for sailaway.  The next morning we are probably in long pants again, and then it gradually warms up, hour by hour.  My coat is a puffy one, so I can put it in a compression bag in my open suitcase under the bed until the last night, when we are out on deck again to look for the lights of the Bay Bridge Tunnel.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bmci3398 said:

We sailed from Baltimore in January 2019 - snowy and cold when we got off the train the day before.  When we sailed we played icebreaker cutting through the thin layer of ice on the bay as far as the Bay Bridge - still very cold in the early morning hours as we passed the Virginia Capes into the Atlantic , but by late afternoon the first full day we hit the Gulf Stream and had close to 70 F on deck.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bmci3398 said:

We've cruised out of Baltimore twice in late December.  While it can vary both times first and last days were indoor days.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:41 PM, navybankerteacher said:

That is a memorable sight to be sure.  

On 9/2/2021 at 8:49 AM, navybankerteacher said:

still cold in the early morning hours as we passed the Virginia Capes into the Atlantic , but by late afternoon the first full day we hit the Gulf Stream and had close to 70 F on deck.

Sailing from Baltimore during the Fall, this was my experience as well.  About a day and a half of cool weather before it was time to change from long pants into shorts.

And, I enjoyed sailing through the Chesapeake Bay.  Very scenic!  

On 8/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, shipgeeks said:

I believe the Port can only accommodate parking for two ships sailing on different days

On 8/31/2021 at 4:01 PM, Tony O said:

There is plenty of parking in the South Locust Point Marine Terminal where Cruise Maryland is located

Agree that there is plenty of parking.  When I sailed from there on Carnival Pride, there seemed to be a separate parking area in the lot for Pride's guests' cars and an adjacent one for the cars of the guests on Grandeur of the Seas.  

1st time cruising from Baltimore, in 1 month. Dock parking question. Should  my husband drop me off with luggage, we pack light, & then park? Or should we park & take bags on shuttle. I'm assuming that there is a shuttle. 

Thanks 

As you drive in you will be asked if you are boarding or dropping off passengers.  You will be directed to porters who will take your luggage.  (Keep your carryons, incl documents!)  Then you will be directed to the parking.  As you enter that, you will pay with cash or credit card.  You will be directed to a parking spot. Then just grab your carryons and enter the terminal for checkin.

No shuttle; the only walking is a short distance.  However, if you should need wheelchair assistance it would be worth asking when you arrive.

Everything is well marked.  You can even get luggage tags as you enter the Port, if you need them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

As you drive in you will be asked if you are boarding or dropping off passengers.  You will be directed to porters who will take your luggage.  (Keep your carryons, incl documents!)  Then you will be directed to the parking.  As you enter that, you will pay with cash or credit card.  You will be directed to a parking spot. Then just grab your carryons and enter the terminal for checkin.

No shuttle; the only walking is a short distance.  However, if you should need wheelchair assistance it would be worth asking when you arrive.

Everything is well marked.  You can even get luggage tags as you enter the Port, if you need them.

It is really unbelievable how easy they make it in Baltimore.  Everything close in.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, shipgeeks said:

Thanks for the info. It helped with our decision. Cruise is Sun. 10/10/21. Driving from MI day before & staying at a Hampton Inn, 10 min from the port & we will park at the dock. Baltimore 1st timers.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:22 PM, mskaufman said:

It is really unbelievable how easy they make it in Baltimore.  Everything close in.

Absolutely agree!  

Just be careful if traveling North on I-95 and exiting at the exit for the Port.  The speed limit drops immediately and rapidly from the interstate to the surface street.  There is a somewhat hidden niche where I saw a police car waiting for a "speeder" waiting to issue a ticket.  I didn't get caught, but I'll bet others have.  Not a great way to start a cruise if that would happen!  

• Like 1