Not Happy about canceled shore excursion Sep 13 - 23 Getaway

preston

Got a email from NCL saying they canceled  my  shore excursion for Naples and now there are none to book .We are not too happy since we now can't  get off the ship..The  only reason i booked the cruise was to  do and see something .

2 minutes ago, preston said:

Got a email from NCL saying they canceled  my  shore excursion for Naples and now there are none to book .We are not too happy since we now can't  get off the ship..The  only reason i booked the cruise was to  do and see something .

Not a lot NCL can do if conditions in Italy and the country's regulations make them do that. 

• Like 2

you cant blame ncl for ths one. i cancelled nov cruise from athens because i was afraid israel wouldnt open its borders and that was my primary reason for booking. meanwhile the price for the haven suite has dropped almost $1600 per person since my 1st booking.

covid has made a lot of strange things happen. sorry you're gonna miss naples.

and the getaway is my favorite ship. love the water front idea

• Like 2

2 hours ago, preston said:

Which one did you have booked?

6 hours ago, preston said:

Give it a few more days and the excursions will probably repopulate but they are having to redo all the excursions in Italy because they have to be in a bubble

10 hours ago, preston said:

In normal times, not a good idea to book a cruise for a port.  In covid times, an awful idea to book a cruise for a port.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, preston said:

Was the Excursion - Hop on Bus or Naples on Your Own?? 

After I read your post, I went to my sailing and see Ultimate Rome has been taken off the excursions list.  Really sad as this is the one we wanted to do.  I hate it, but I do understand.  We will still go ahead with our trip because at this point as long it's not replaced by a sea day I will go.  I'm dying to go on vacation!!

On 8/26/2021 at 7:11 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

In normal times, not a good idea to book a cruise for a port.  In covid times, an awful idea to book a cruise for a port.

wait....so why do you book a cruise? I always book for a port.  

I'm guessing the OP and I have a similar itinerary, but there are still 7 Rome excursions to choose from with mine.  Maybe she isn't looking in the right place?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

After I read your post, I went to my sailing and see Ultimate Rome has been taken off the excursions list.  Really sad as this is the one we wanted to do.  I hate it, but I do understand.  We will still go ahead with our trip because at this point as long it's not replaced by a sea day I will go.  I'm dying to go on vacation!!

“Off the list” could also mean “sold out”. A lot of shore ex are running at reduced capacity. 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

“Off the list” could also mean “sold out”. A lot of shore ex are running at reduced capacity. 

That's a fair point.  I guess we should definitely go ahead and book the ones we want.  I honestly thought it was because they change the itinerary and we have less time in port, but I'm seeing it's only 30 minute's difference

16 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

wait....so why do you book a cruise? I always book for a port.  

I'm guessing the OP and I have a similar itinerary, but there are still 7 Rome excursions to choose from with mine.  Maybe she isn't looking in the right place?

There are so many things that could affect "the port".  The ship may not be able to dock due to weather, emergency on the ship....lots of reasons.   And then the excursions may not allow enuf time to really see that port...or could be cancelled due to lots of reasons.

If I want to visit "a place" I plan a trip to that place.  I book a cruise primarily for "the ride".....and hope to get to the ports.

Yeah we are entering a tough spot for the European cruises now with the EU mandate for the US.  Definitely not something NCL can control.  Due to the decent price drops I was considering the September 24 Getaway but with this news am holding off.  I am fully vaccinated but definitely not interested in any quarantine activity - frankly even these "sale" prices under incredible circumstances are still more pricey than 2 years ago. 

I am definitely a port selector - these drive my whole cruise and vacation selection. I understand there is always some risk but I expect them to do what they can to adhere to the promised itinerary. Being forced to stick to ship excursions is a reasonable alternative if NCL is facing government regs, but otherwise if done at their own discretion is a pretty significant negative.  A big part of the draw of NCL right now is they actually are following real science and mandating vaccinated ships so the countries should have higher confidence on our population.

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pghflyer said:

A big part of the draw of NCL right now is they actually are following real science and mandating vaccinated ships so the countries should have higher confidence on our population.

This.  I told my mom I would probably never go back to Carnival due to how they have handled things.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Yeah we are entering a tough spot for the European cruises now with the EU mandate for the US.  Definitely not something NCL can control.  Due to the decent price drops I was considering the September 24 Getaway but with this news am holding off.  I am fully vaccinated but definitely not interested in any quarantine activity - frankly even these "sale" prices under incredible circumstances are still more pricey than 2 years ago. 

I am definitely a port selector - these drive my whole cruise and vacation selection. I understand there is always some risk but I expect them to do what they can to adhere to the promised itinerary. Being forced to stick to ship excursions is a reasonable alternative if NCL is facing government regs, but otherwise if done at their own discretion is a pretty significant negative.  A big part of the draw of NCL right now is they actually are following real science and mandating vaccinated ships so the countries should have higher confidence on our population.

I'm on that cruise - come join us!

I am on the september 23 cruise.

We got a mail that some people from some countries,  cant go on shore in Italy

And the rest of the people can go on the offered guided  NCL tours

I am from Europe and to enter Italy by car, train, plain etc my proof of vaccination is enough ..

But i guess they are a little stricter on cruisepassengers...maybe because not every cruiseline have a fully vaccinated crew and cruisers...i booked the Napels excursion , hop on bus, and the last day in Rome with transfer

If they would be cancelled,  i would still enjoy to cruise, maybe because to the fact that Italy is relatively close to the Netherlands. If you come from the United States and further, i can understand your disappointment. 

Don't forget your masks😷. European rules are different than in the US/Canada

Edited by Happy-48

7 hours ago, Happy-48 said:

I am on the september 23 cruise.

We got a mail that some people from some countries,  cant go on shore in Italy

And the rest of the people can go on the offered guided  NCL tours

I am from Europe and to enter Italy by car, train, plain etc my proof of vaccination is enough ..

But i guess they are a little stricter on cruisepassengers...maybe because not every cruiseline have a fully vaccinated crew and cruisers...i booked the Napels excursion , hop on bus, and the last day in Rome with transfer

If they would be cancelled,  i would still enjoy to cruise, maybe because to the fact that Italy is relatively close to the Netherlands. If you come from the United States and further, i can understand your disappointment. 

Don't forget your masks😷. European rules are different than in the US/Canada

This evening i got the mail about the cancelled Naples hop on tour due to operational  needs

Edited by Happy-48

On 8/25/2021 at 9:29 PM, preston said:

We're on the October 25th cruise and I also booked the hoho tour. Just checked, it's still there, but it's the only excursion for Naples. all the Pompeii tours are gone.

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

check to see if the ncl policy is still only tours booked through them. a few years back, i booked a taxi and he took us to pompeii.

just hope the entire cruise isnt cancelled as europe has decided not to let in u.s. tourists

I am from Europe, from the Netherlands and we are still letting in US/Canada tourists.. and there are no rumours that this policy will be changed . You are on the low risk list

Edited by Happy-48
  • Like 1