Extending Protocols for Flying Passengers Home?

On 8/29/2021 at 12:53 AM, LindaO said:

Purchase Travel Insurance that includes trip interruption.   Also know that Royal CAN NOT just put an infected person off the ship in a foreign port without arranged transportation through that country and back to the US.   The port will not accept the person or allow them to be 'left' in port.  There are protocols.   This is why Royal has insisted that un-vaccinated carry insurance that will reimburse Royal in the event they have to fly that person to their home.   It is complicated.   There are no precedents here and it is an evolving situation.   I suggest that if this is a real concern of yours, you discuss with your insurance carrier and choose a policy that will cover expenses.   Or, just do not cruise until all of this is resolved.      

Vaxxed people should also purchase travel insurance.     Look at the woman who was fully vaccinated on a carnival ship that was taken to hospital in Belize and died within 2 days of her positive test.    

And yes, any cruise line is able to take you to whatever port with a medical facility to handle whatever your illness is.     

On 8/28/2021 at 11:53 PM, LindaO said:

Purchase Travel Insurance that includes trip interruption.   Also know that Royal CAN NOT just put an infected person off the ship in a foreign port without arranged transportation through that country and back to the US.   The port will not accept the person or allow them to be 'left' in port.  There are protocols.   This is why Royal has insisted that un-vaccinated carry insurance that will reimburse Royal in the event they have to fly that person to their home.   It is complicated.   There are no precedents here and it is an evolving situation.   I suggest that if this is a real concern of yours, you discuss with your insurance carrier and choose a policy that will cover expenses.   Or, just do not cruise until all of this is resolved.      

The protocols include contracted hotels to house people who have tested positive until they can fly home commercially. You are correct that there aren’t enough precedents to establish a clear picture of how it will be handled, but anecdotal evidence suggests that people will be quarantined on board until they can be returned to the origination point and then dealt with according to the terms of the Covid assistance plan, at least in the near term for short cruises. No one yet has been left in a foreign port to quarantine after testing positive, to my knowledge. Someone has been disembarked to a hospital, thus the need for insurance. Royal has committed to provide medical care only on board.

The unvaccinated must have insurance to cover their own risk. That insurance will not reimburse Royal nor is Royal accepting any responsibility to fly them home.

Does anyone know of any policy that would do a medical evacuation to the US from a foreign land in case of a COVID positive test (assuming no hospitalization required)?

I looked at MedJet, and it says evacuation back home would be performed if medically necessary, which would appear to exclude a COVID positive test with light or no symptoms.

COVAC GLOBAL's policy does not have the "medically necessary" language, but specifically EXCLUDES coverage for a person who went on a cruise ship.

31 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Does anyone know of any policy that would do a medical evacuation to the US from a foreign land in case of a COVID positive test (assuming no hospitalization required)?

I looked at MedJet, and it says evacuation back home would be performed if medically necessary, which would appear to exclude a COVID positive test with light or no symptoms.

COVAC GLOBAL's policy does not have the "medically necessary" language, but specifically EXCLUDES coverage for a person who went on a cruise ship.

I don’t know of any policy that would fly you home based on a positive test alone with no symptoms. Even the ones that do it for medically necessary reasons have limitations such as legal requirements concerning quarantine.

I doubt that you will find a policy that will cover evacuation for a positive test because the risk/reward just isn’t there for the underwriter. Positive tests are pretty common, and charter jets are pretty expensive. 

The Royal Caribbean Covid Assistance plan has led people to expect such service from their insurance, but it just isn’t going to happen. I don’t think Royal will continue to do it either as I explained in a couple of previous posts on this thread.  

Hmm, how would you allowed into the US with a positive test?

US requires negative test  within 3 days of your coming to the US.

I just did this.  Although I was hoping to test positive to stay in Madrid another week or two. 😄