Any reason to get premium plus liquor package if in YC?

PRH

We’ve sailed in YC before but haven’t been impressed with the wines in the dining room.  Any reason to purchase an upgrade from those who have sailed recently?  We’re on the Divina in November for 10 nights.

That’s the full price.  You’d only need to pay the difference between Premium and Plus. I can’t remember offhand what it is - something like $16 pppd.  Find out what it costs for Premium and subtract it from $690. 

The wines on PremPlus are certainly better.  My favourites (reds) were  Cicogna and Regale.

We’ve always had whatever the top package was when sailing MSC and found upgrading to PremPlus - even in YC - to be a no-brainer for the top-end spirits and better selection of wines, plus champagne (though there’s no champagne bar on Divina so I’m not sure which ones would be on the menus for you).  For us, it was worth it and wasn’t very costly - especially for what’s included in it. 

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

That’s the full price.  You’d only need to pay the difference between Premium and Plus. I can’t remember offhand what it is - something like $16 pppd.  Find out what it costs for Premium and subtract it from $690. 

The wines on PremPlus are certainly better.  My favourites (reds) were  Cicogna and Regale.

We’ve always had whatever the top package was when sailing MSC and found upgrading to PremPlus - even in YC - to be a no-brainer for the top-end spirits and better selection of wines, plus champagne (though there’s no champagne bar on Divina so I’m not sure which ones would be on the menus for you).  For us, it was worth it and wasn’t very costly - especially for what’s included in it. 

… Also, it would be the only opportunity you’ll have to experience it on MSC as it’s being done away with. 🥲

12 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I think this is the key. If you are going to drink really top end wines and champagnes then yes, absolutely. If you want Grey Goose and the occasional expensive wine with dinner, maybe not.

Many, many people upgrade so if you do, you won't be alone 🙂

A question for all you experienced YC cruisers from a first timer with MSC and YC. On another post on this board, I was asking about what is included in the drinks selection in YC particularly about wine as we are not too fussy about our G&T for example as long as it is a reasonable brand but we really do dislike poor wine.

Hamrag gave a comprehensive explanation but this discussion here regarding what is available with YC leads me to still be wondering about the quality of the wines available to choose from for dinner. Is there a reasonable selection of decent wine in the YC restaurant in your opinion, please?

We’ve taken 3 MSC YC cruises.  The wines offered in the YC restaurant were fair but certainly not great.  There was one I had specifically sent over from Top Sail as it wasn’t offered in the restaurant and none of the wines “on display” were nearly as good.  The sommelier only appeared once each cruise which was very disappointing.  The reason I ask about an upgrade is to discover whether there are actually other and better wines in the restaurant but not offered unless asked for.  Would the upgrade open this window?  Or would it be money down the hole?  Should I ask the concierge for an appointment with the sommelier to discuss wines for dinner for the 10 nights we’ll be aboard in November?

2 hours ago, SpeedySal said:

Is there a reasonable selection of decent wine in the YC restaurant in your opinion, please?

I probably am not as particular as what wines I drink as many are.  My preference is for a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  Villa Maria is my preference.  That was not available.  The NZ Sauvignon Blanc that they did stock was acceptable and is one that I will drink at home if Villa Maria is not available.  Personally, I will not pay for an upgraded beverage package.  

• Like 1

Could someone please let me know this.  Can you get drinks by the glass of any wines even if they are not offered on the menu or do they only let you get wines that are on the menu by the glass?  I am boarding tomorrow, YAY, and am in YC.  I am thinking if I can have great wines and champagnes it would be an amazing upgrade.  

8 hours ago, 9876 said:

Could someone please let me know this.  Can you get drinks by the glass of any wines even if they are not offered on the menu or do they only let you get wines that are on the menu by the glass?  I am boarding tomorrow, YAY, and am in YC.  I am thinking if I can have great wines and champagnes it would be an amazing upgrade.  

Only wines on the menu and, even then, I had some trouble getting the wines of my choice in YC on a 23 night cruise with the upgraded package.  I ended up having to have the same wine every evening as it had to be ‘stocked’ in YC.  It just wasn’t worth the trouble to look for any other.  There was no dedicated sommelier for YC;  he had to divide his time between there and the MDRs and was extremely overworked (or out of his depth 🙄)

One other thing on that particular cruise; I like to have a glass of Sauternes with dessert.  Now, this is included for everyone.  Well, they only had one bottle in YC and it was reserved for me!  The sommelier literally had it locked away and the waiter would have to get the key to access it for me. How unfair is that to other passengers?

12 hours ago, SpeedySal said:

A question for all you experienced YC cruisers from a first timer with MSC and YC. On another post on this board, I was asking about what is included in the drinks selection in YC particularly about wine as we are not too fussy about our G&T for example as long as it is a reasonable brand but we really do dislike poor wine.

Finally found some photos of the YC bar menu from a US-based sailing from Nov 2019, including the wines on offer. It’s doubtful that much has changed, except, maybe, the prices.  Any items without a price indicated are included for YC guests. 

697E7233-25DF-49DC-8F7B-C89A9E22669B.thumb.jpeg.a67d4abad0332e33aa87b43ce7b0bda0.jpeg2610F907-D242-42E1-9C5A-EEEF500ADBDA.thumb.jpeg.c7198d4d014f66d0743962491579755d.jpegD821039F-1991-4794-AB42-C25C9B2B6FD3.thumb.jpeg.5912ef22636aea11a6f6f669180299e8.jpegA48E0A17-76C1-4FAD-821D-2720AD9552DC.thumb.jpeg.0c58ba91368be1e84ce87422233cdd6e.jpeg664A56AF-FEE7-4226-8A4F-BEF68A713DF0.thumb.jpeg.6534eb697b3b0bd5680d67639a2343b2.jpeg7C3D1798-92CD-417A-AC7D-02AE1D7D894D.thumb.jpeg.e7f2ccb19d846c63b833aab267fe067b.jpeg4AFA9E61-4271-4ED8-9E9C-F092C2D21476.thumb.jpeg.1e4fa9ef23ca933b4b5d0a81815de1da.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Finally found some photos of the YC bar menu from a US-based sailing

That's the menu that I recall from my January, 2020 sailing.

I am still surprised that the YC (nor any bar on the ship) did not stock a Green Creme de Menthe!  

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, Beamafar said:

… Also, it would be the only opportunity you’ll have to experience it on MSC as it’s being done away with. 🥲

Interesting, we've never taken the option as usually in YC. Tomorrow morning we board Virtuosa in Greenock, Aurea cabin as we refuse to pay the exorbitant YC prices for the seacation cruises!

Do you need to upgrade to P+ on boarding day, or can you wait until a day or two have passed before committing....I'm almost certain you can, but shall defer to your extensive MSC knowledge.

TIA.

They usually withdraw the packages the day after embarkation, but when on the day, I don’t know.  IIRC, it’s 2-3 days on repos.  I’ve never chanced missing out on upgrading by waiting til the next day.

We enjoyed the PremPlus even in YC.  We made good use of it with the better wines, spirits and champagne that it includes.

We’ve made a last-minute booking on NCL from Barcelona next Sunday and are upgrading to their PremPlus.  The top-end drinks aren’t as top-end as MSC’s but you can get bottles of Veuve Cliquot and some very nice wines at dinner. 

• Thanks 1

We are sailing a 3-day on Meraviglia this Friday. We have a $400 OBC I have to spend somewhere.  We will be the YC as usual so I may just spring for the upgrade.  I don’t want to hassle with the bartenders getting my Hendricks.  We don’t do champagne, but the better wines might tempt me.  No, Hamrag, no JW Blue one right after the other. 😀