Tamarind question(s)

saltshell

On 8/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, saltshell said:

Just looked at the Tamarind menu. First time dining there. Can I order multiple appetizers? Thinking of making a meal of appetizers only. Is the venue open for lunch. Thanks.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, rkacruiser said:

I don't see why you would not be able to do so.  Such can be done at any land based restaurant.

Yes, but on land you're paying for each appetizer, so it's not the same thing. Here's it's a set price for the entire meal, except you only get to order a single entrée. Personally, as much as I like some appetizers at Tamarind, you're paying $30 for the meal and may as well get an entrée as well.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes, but on land you're paying for each appetizer, so it's not the same thing. Here's it's a set price for the entire meal, except you only get to order a single entrée. Personally, as much as I like some appetizers at Tamarind, you're paying $30 for the meal and may as well get an entrée as well.

Tamarind is not open for lunch but sushi is served for lunch everyday in the Lido Market Buffet at no charge.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/Nieuw-Amsterdam---Lido-Restaurant/IMG_0928.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

Tamarind is not open for lunch but sushi is served for lunch everyday in the Lido Market Buffet at no charge.

I am not sure when or where that picture was taken, but I have never seen a sushi buffet that looked like that at lunch on Holland America. They typically have small plates of rolls, and it's rare to actually find something with fresh fish in it. Never anything like the rice with fresh salmon as in that picture.

I see that you posted the same picture four years ago, so it's obviously at least that old. 

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:32 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Tamarind's Dim Sum Lunch was amazing, I was enough to have done it a several times. They could have easily charged what they do for the Pinnacle lunch and I would have gladly paid this. That and the 5 Onion Soup in the Pinnacle at lunch time are sadly some of the items I truly miss.

So true. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I am not sure when or where that picture was taken, but I have never seen a sushi buffet that looked like that at lunch on Holland America. They typically have small plates of rolls, and it's rare to actually find something with fresh fish in it. Never anything like the rice with fresh salmon as in that picture.

I see that you posted the same picture four years ago, so it's obviously at least that old. 

Sadly, I don't have another sushi photo to show but will take one in November.  My Lido Market Lunch buffet menu collection shows sushi being served every day.  Here is a link to one of the lunch menus from the Nieuw Statendam, December 2019, that shows "sushi" being served in the Distant Land - Asian station:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NS-A-Lido-Day-05.pdf

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Sadly, I don't have another sushi photo to show but will take one in November.  My Lido Market Lunch buffet menu collection shows sushi being served every day.  Here is a link to one of the lunch menus from the Nieuw Statendam, December 2019, that shows "sushi" being served in the Distant Land - Asian station:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NS-A-Lido-Day-05.pdf

I was on the cruise last week and they had sushi in the Lido every day at lunch but it was only a few different kinds of rolls and no nigiri.  The rolls were usually CA roll with masago on top (seemed like it was krab stick inside rather than real crab), a mackerel roll, and a salmon poke roll that was a cucumber and asparagus roll with salmon poke on top.  I wasn't a huge fan of the CA roll and didn't try the mackerel roll, but we loved the poke roll and got multiple plates of this several days.  I love sushi and eat a ton of it and this was far from what I would consider good sushi but for it being a buffet on a cruise ship, it wasn't bad and satisfied a sushi craving.  The sushi in Nami (located in Tamarind) was pretty good and averaged around $5-6 a roll if you're looking for real sushi.  Nigiri was only $3 for 2 pieces there which is a steal compared to how much it normally costs at a sushi bar.  I posted a ton of pictures of the sushi in Nami in my thread ("Mostly Live from August 21-28 Alaska Sailing") if you want to take a look

• Like 5

BTW, this is what a nice sushi buffet on a cruise ship looks like. Granted, it's Oceania and was at dinner. Note they even have sashimi so you didn't have to fill up on rice. My only complaint was that they ran out of seaweed salad early in the cruise and never got more.

20180901_182210s.jpg

Edited by MisterBill99

49 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

I love sushi and eat a ton of it and this was far from what I would consider good sushi but for it being a buffet on a cruise ship, it wasn't bad and satisfied a sushi craving.  

The sushi on the buffet is OK for what it is, but it's nothing special. Personally, I prefer to go to the salad station and get a bunch of the seared tuna, hold the salad. Then I get some wasabi from the chef at the Distant Lands station and soy sauce. The fish is better than almost anything they put out at the sushi counter. But I do often get one or two plates of sushi rolls from the buffet, just because they're there.

My point in replying was merely that the photo posted here is not indicative of the sushi that is currently being served at the Lido buffet.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

BTW, this is what a nice sushi buffet on a cruise ship looks like. Granted, it's Oceania and was at dinner. Note they even have sashimi so you didn't have to fill up on rice. My only complaint was that they ran out of seaweed salad early in the cruise and never got more.

20180901_182210s.jpg

Yes and Oceania is much more expensive than hal.

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

20180901_182210s.jpg

Amazing - my Riviera cruise’s sushi buffet did not resemble this at all.  It was very meagre - every night.  The same ol’ same ol’ every time.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:09 PM, rkacruiser said:

This is true, yet such Dutch "goodies" don't make an appearance during Happy Hour in the Ocean Bar.  I have enjoyed Bitterballen, but very, very rarely

I guess we were spoiled as it was offered on both the Prinsendam and the Westerdam (with Captain Van Eerten in charge).  

And, when I hosted my wine tastings, we always had it 😉