Gem lanyards FYi

Disfan5

We just got off the Gem. They have a new type of key card and you are not able to make a hole punch to attach it to a lanyard. 

If you a bringing your own lanyard, bring a pouch to slide it in.  We had a lanyard, but no pouch. I ended up just carrying it in my phone case and that actually worked well, since I had my phone with me to take pictures.

• Like 3

We all received NCL branded lanyards with our key card on our 8/15 sailing.  They did have a flaw I thought in that it was fairly easy for the key card to slip out of the side, so perhaps they have recalled those for the time being....

1 hour ago, SwimmingDragon said:

So do you have to pull your card out of it’s holder for things like at the bar and restaurant? Or do they have a hand scanner? I’m asking because I have a spring cord lanyard, where you can pull it out further from the actual lanyard and it will snap back.

I have a leather one from the Encore. Did not have to take it out of case to use.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

So do you have to pull your card out of it’s holder for things like at the bar and restaurant? Or do they have a hand scanner? I’m asking because I have a spring cord lanyard, where you can pull it out further from the actual lanyard and it will snap back.

They need to swipe your card at bars.  Some of the restaurants have a touch point for the card where you just tap the card when you check in.  Beverage waiters in the restaurants and entertainment areas also will need to take your card back to the bar to get swiped.

3 hours ago, knitlady037 said:

I have a leather one from the Encore. Did not have to take it out of case to use.

53 minutes ago, Seanair said:

They need to swipe your card at bars.  Some of the restaurants have a touch point for the card where you just tap the card when you check in.  Beverage waiters in the restaurants and entertainment areas also will need to take your card back to the bar to get swiped.

So both of you have conflicting comments… knitlady037, did you use the bars or drink service at the restaurants?

6 hours ago, Seanair said:

We all received NCL branded lanyards with our key card on our 8/15 sailing.  They did have a flaw I thought in that it was fairly easy for the key card to slip out of the side, so perhaps they have recalled those for the time being....

Yep, I lost my card in the hot tub that way.

1 hour ago, Nicky Mouse said:

Anyone got a pic of one of these new cards? I can be pretty creative with hole punching for lanyard.

Anyone providing such a picture would need to hold it to a bright light to reveal the inside (if it's possible to do so).  The RFID cards don't reveal from the outside where it might be safe to punch...

Actually - just checked one of my cards from the Bliss, I couldn't discern anything, the card doesn't allow much light to pass through...

Edited by hallux

55 minutes ago, hallux said:

Anyone providing such a picture would need to hold it to a bright light to reveal the inside (if it's possible to do so).  The RFID cards don't reveal from the outside where it might be safe to punch...

Actually - just checked one of my cards from the Bliss, I couldn't discern anything, the card doesn't allow much light to pass through...

So are the cards thicker, like secure door access cards? If they still have to swipe I can't believe that the entire thing is rfid, they'd do a chip in one place like the touchless credit cards do.

48 minutes ago, Nicky Mouse said:

So are the cards thicker, like secure door access cards? If they still have to swipe I can't believe that the entire thing is rfid, they'd do a chip in one place like the touchless credit cards do.

There's still a mag stripe on the back, but there's RFID embedded.  The contacts you see on the outside of credit cards are just for the chip-and-PIN (or signature), if there's RFID it's embedded inside the card and not visible.

Here's a comparison, these were taken using the same three D-cell Maglite, the Royal Caribbean one is from the Anthem of the Seas in 2018, the Norwegian one is from one of my Bliss cruises in 2019.  You can clearly see the RFID chip/antenna in the Royal card (which is NOT visible externally without a light), the NCL card seems to be thicker...

PXL_20210830_230839458.jpg

PXL_20210830_230913563.jpg

Instead of punching a hole for the lanyard - I recommend using one of these slide-out ID card holders (these have RFID shielding & cost more - other similar ones are less expensive ... get a few to use & share)  We used them at work for our ID badge on a breakaway safety lanyard and it doesn't slip out by design, unlike the simple plastic card holder.  

https://amazon.com/Blocking-Holder-DuoLite-ID-Stronghold/dp/B07D7J5BD6/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=sliding+ID+card+holder&qid=1630365555&sr=8-13

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

There's still a mag stripe on the back, but there's RFID embedded.  The contacts you see on the outside of credit cards are just for the chip-and-PIN (or signature), if there's RFID it's embedded inside the card and not visible.

Here's a comparison, these were taken using the same three D-cell Maglite, the Royal Caribbean one is from the Anthem of the Seas in 2018, the Norwegian one is from one of my Bliss cruises in 2019.  You can clearly see the RFID chip/antenna in the Royal card (which is NOT visible externally without a light), the NCL card seems to be thicker...

PXL_20210830_230839458.jpg

PXL_20210830_230913563.jpg

Oh, ok, very interesting, so they're doing a diff rfid setup than the nfc chips in credit cards. 

I'm gonna do some more research and maybe come up with an alternate lanyard attachment method. Not thrilled about a pouch that be lose things.

38 minutes ago, Nicky Mouse said:

3 hours ago, Nicky Mouse said:

Anyone got a pic of one of these new cards? I can be pretty creative with hole punching for lanyard.

Same as always. The room key thickness is just like a credit card (which also has RFID/NFC). Yes, there has been discussion on the exact places where you potentially punch without cutting the internal loop. Or even if punched perfectly, fracture the card with the punch and breaking the loop. Use a lanyard that holds your card. 

Lanyards given out at check-in on our cruise. 

image.png.6cb566bb53ed6a5d00c557ef641da867.png

"New" RFID room keys used on the newer ships. Some readers use the RFID. Some scan the bar code. Some still swipe the magnetic strip.

image.png.70b4c82d51a0c077a98eb4e6b4485303.png

image.png.53860556c734ff61c32870a0d7029fcc.png

The gangway doesn't even use your ship's card any longer, it uses your face (and it also takes and records your temperature... don't get sunburned). 

image.png.de69c85d1e238a91fce488c93eccf6f1.png

\image.png.a34eb5862e6f9e90a452b5ba5a7ee4bb.png

9 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Instead of punching a hole for the lanyard - I recommend using one of these slide-out ID card holders (these have RFID shielding & cost more - other similar ones are less expensive ... get a few to use & share)  We used them at work for our ID badge on a breakaway safety lanyard and it doesn't slip out by design, unlike the simple plastic card holder.  

https://amazon.com/Blocking-Holder-DuoLite-ID-Stronghold/dp/B07D7J5BD6/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=sliding+ID+card+holder&qid=1630365555&sr=8-13

Thank you for the link!

What I'm curious about is if a smaller hole was made (not via the regular punch, and then either a small string or loop, would it still work. The pic of the RCCL card shows some leeway on the edges for a smaller hole.

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Same as always. The room key thickness is just like a credit card (which also has RFID/NFC). Yes, there has been discussion on the exact places where you potentially punch without cutting the internal loop. Or even if punched perfectly, fracture the card with the punch and breaking the loop. Use a lanyard that holds your card. 

Lanyards given out at check-in on our cruise. 

image.png.6cb566bb53ed6a5d00c557ef641da867.png

"New" RFID room keys used on the newer ships. Some readers use the RFID. Some scan the bar code. Some still swipe the magnetic strip.

image.png.70b4c82d51a0c077a98eb4e6b4485303.png

image.png.53860556c734ff61c32870a0d7029fcc.png

The gangway doesn't even use your ship's card any longer, it uses your face (and it also takes and records your temperature... don't get sunburned). 

image.png.de69c85d1e238a91fce488c93eccf6f1.png

\image.png.a34eb5862e6f9e90a452b5ba5a7ee4bb.png

That lanyard isn't actually as bad/cheap as I expected.

I worry about the temp scanning. When I drive with my sunroof open and then to go see my auntie at assisted living, their temp scanners always flag me as having a fever and sound alarm. I basically have to close sunroof and turn up AC before going over there.

Just now, BirdTravels said:

The NCL chip is at the bottom right of the card. But unlike the Royal card, the antenna loop runs around card about 1/2" from the edge making it hard/impossible to punch with a regular punch without compromising the card. 

image.png.9bf24a74c4f6c37992962da88d6d5ddf.png

Thank you for the detailed pic!!

This is helpful. I'm going to experiment with attachment methods. Why go for simple when I can overcomplicate it!

NCL gives you the lanyards as pictured by BirdTravels. However, my experience the other week on the Gem is that you can get clear, plastic, waterproof holders for your keycard in the photoshop. My wife and I loved those, especially as we did some water activities. Also, our card had to be presented any time we ordered alcohol and for other purchases, because the staff swiped it. We were able to leave the card in the pouch for all other activities, including unlocking the cabin and going ashore, etc.

Ok, I think I have an idea!

Turns out lots of solutions on the Amazon, this problem has been solved by the office worker segment.

I did look at some custom, thin precise hole punchers, but without knowing how much clearance there is to the edge of the card don't to risk.

What I found are these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JN11TW

I think I'm gonna order some and give a try.

51-P0eOChKL._AC_SL1201_.jpg

71FDZYBTHzL._AC_SL1201_.jpg

Edit: oops, just realized looking at @BirdTravels card pic, for room entry, you insert lengthwise, but for bar swipes you slide horizontal. so this is probably not going to work either. 😞 

Now I'm back to my sketches of superglue and a small loop on one corner. (WCGW)

Edited by Nicky Mouse
afterthoughts