Glitches with Boarding

"
I'm concerned about being able to board my January cruise with the COVID requirements. I had a family member who took the "Covid free" test within 48 hrs but the results were lost in the drugstore's system so he couldn't verify for his travel to Canada and had to cancel his trip at the last minute. 
  1. Will any trip insurance cover that last minute obstacle?
  2. For our January cruise, can I still get trip insurance at this point? Or is it only available at booking? This is a rescheduled cruise that was cancelled last year. I'm healthy now, but I don't want a false positve or lost test results blocking my cruising.

34 minutes ago, chrismch said:

1. Will any trip insurance cover that last minute obstacle?
  2. For our January cruise, can I still get trip insurance at this point? Or is it only available at booking? This is a rescheduled cruise that was cancelled last year. I'm healthy now, but I don't want a false positve or lost test results blocking my cruising.

1.  You would have to check the terms of your policy.

2.  Yes, you can still get insurance.

I'm doubtful that any insurance company would cover a situation where a passenger didn't meet the terms of the cruise lines COVID restrictions.  Even if it was the drugstore's fault.   I'm also worried about getting our results back within two days.  So we will probably plan on doing one of the rapid tests (One of the ones that are approved by RCI) as a backup.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Thanks 1

Thought I was going to be in the same boat for our Allure August 15th sailing. 4 other family members and I tested at the same time at local Walgreens. All of their results were back within an hour. I waited almost 2 hrs and called. They insisted all results are in and nothing they could do. Also, I could not find any other testing openings before our flight to Florida. I called back and they kept looking and still insisted nothing they could do. However, I did receive my results about an hour later. I suspect that when we tested together they left mine in the "box" by accident and maybe on my second call they searched again and found it. Not sure. I was a bit worried, however we had accidentally scheduled covid tests at the Port and so I knew that worst case, I would take the test there. I also was worried about being charged for the scheduled tests we didn't take, but no charge for no testing. So I think the worst is that you test at the port and are positive.

Typically you can get cruise insurance at least through final payment - lots of folks don't get any insurance til then.  Cancel for any reason is often earlier.  Check insurance board for mor info.  

The current rule of a test three days before is scary but we passed and didn't have to cancel.  

6 hours ago, Sianli said:

Thought I was going to be in the same boat for our Allure August 15th sailing. 4 other family members and I tested at the same time at local Walgreens. All of their results were back within an hour. I waited almost 2 hrs and called. They insisted all results are in and nothing they could do. Also, I could not find any other testing openings before our flight to Florida. I called back and they kept looking and still insisted nothing they could do. However, I did receive my results about an hour later. I suspect that when we tested together they left mine in the "box" by accident and maybe on my second call they searched again and found it. Not sure. I was a bit worried, however we had accidentally scheduled covid tests at the Port and so I knew that worst case, I would take the test there. I also was worried about being charged for the scheduled tests we didn't take, but no charge for no testing. So I think the worst is that you test at the port and are positive.

I am a little confused by your last comment.  If you are vaccinated you cannot get tested at the port if you don't have a negative test they will turn you away.

• Like 1

I would venture that not having a covid test to board would fall under travel documents and not be covered by travel insurance. They don't cover if you forget your passport, I'd guess this is the same.

Once it gets closer I'd be looking at backup plans - an at home test that's accepted, going to an airport and paying for it, etc. 

Also since you're talking a January cruise that's when the FDA is requiring to switch from the covid-only tests to the ones that are covid and flu together. Any test that has an EUA will expire if it's covid only. So if the cruise lines are still testing in January there will likely be completely new info/rules by then regarding testing and which are accepted. 

19 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

I am a little confused by your last comment.  If you are vaccinated you cannot get tested at the port if you don't have a negative test they will turn you away.

Perhaps, they scheduled at a Walgreens in the embarkation port city.

7 hours ago, mauraoel said:

That is true now, but on August 15th they still allowed none vac'd adult passengers on Florida cruises but tested at port. 

10 hours ago, Sianli said:

That is true now, but on August 15th they still allowed none vac'd adult passengers on Florida cruises but tested at port. 

Your comment still isn't right, the Vaccinated Passengers still could not get tested at the port whether they were allowing non-vaccinated adults or not.