COVID Policy

I was wondering if someone has had the same issue I do and has some news.  Royal Caribbean has changed their policy, as of September 1st all passengers 12 and above will be required to be vaccinated.  Because the only vaccine authorized for use on 12 year olds is the Pfizer vaccine it takes 5 weeks to get vaccinated (the second shot is given 3 weeks after the first shot and then you are not fully vaccinated for two weeks after the second shot is given.  My child turns 12 less than a month before our scheduled cruise which means it would be impossible for her to be fully vaccinated.  As written the policy means a child that is 12 on the day of sailing (even if they turn 12 that day) would have to be fully vaccinated to sail without any exemption based on birth date.  I have emailed RCI several times about this with no answer.  Does anyone know if my child can sail considered as an unvaccinated child?  If the policy is absolute we have been put in a situation where it is impossible to meet the requirement.  Any advice?

I am also concerned if this is even worth it.  I know there may be shows we are not allowed to attend.  Has anyone gone yet and experienced traveling with a unvaccinated passenger?  What restrictions are in place?

Thank you,

Matt 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Knoxvegasc said:

I was wondering if someone has had the same issue I do and has some news.  Royal Caribbean has changed their policy, as of September 1st all passengers 12 and above will be required to be vaccinated.  Because the only vaccine authorized for use on 12 year olds is the Pfizer vaccine it takes 5 weeks to get vaccinated (the second shot is given 3 weeks after the first shot and then you are not fully vaccinated for two weeks after the second shot is given.  My child turns 12 less than a month before our scheduled cruise which means it would be impossible for her to be fully vaccinated.  As written the policy means a child that is 12 on the day of sailing (even if they turn 12 that day) would have to be fully vaccinated to sail without any exemption based on birth date.  I have emailed RCI several times about this with no answer.  Does anyone know if my child can sail considered as an unvaccinated child?  If the policy is absolute we have been put in a situation where it is impossible to meet the requirement.  Any advice?

I am also concerned if this is even worth it.  I know there may be shows we are not allowed to attend.  Has anyone gone yet and experienced traveling with a unvaccinated passenger?  What restrictions are in place?

Thank you,

Matt 

Unfortunately it sounds like you will have to reschedule your cruise until your child is fully vaccinated.     They were not making any exemptions as Bahamas, St. Thomas and other islands will Not let a ship dock unless everyone of age to be vaccinated is fully vaccinated.

I heard this weekend that some islands want only 100% vaccinated crew and passengers to dock.    

So it's not a matter that Royal won't grant an exemptions its the destinations that won't allow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also, when and if you do move your sailing date further out Royal can move the funds paid on your existing cruise to the new cruise date.   No need to wait for a FCC.     You may find prices for a new date are cheaper as there have been some great price drops for cruises happening between now and next April.

• Thanks 1

I have teh same issue for our NYE cruise.  My daughter turns 12 on 12/1 and our cruise is 12/26...I am hoping and praying that the vaccine roll out happens at the end of September for the 5-11 age group!!!  I want to cruise on NYE!! I think they should make the policy for 12 year 6 week olds...not just a blanket 12 year old. They should take in account the actual birthday and the cruise date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

I have teh same issue for our NYE cruise.  My daughter turns 12 on 12/1 and our cruise is 12/26...I am hoping and praying that the vaccine roll out happens at the end of September for the 5-11 age group!!!  I want to cruise on NYE!! I think they should make the policy for 12 year 6 week olds...not just a blanket 12 year old. They should take in account the actual birthday and the cruise date.

Not an option... this is a rule imposed on RCI by other governments.  😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

They have said it is about 90% unlikely that vax will be available for 5-11 y/o this year. So I would suggest moving your cruise.

nope because the people who follow the cdc will be on shot number 32 by then. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

When is your cruise OP?  It’s probably worth noting the the vaccine order for the Bahamas currently has an end date of November 1.  The order could absolutely get extended beyond that date (and in my opinion, likely will), but if your cruise is further out than a few months I would hold off making any changes unless you can’t handle being in limbo.  We just don’t know what the rules are going to look like in a couple of months.  So if your cruise is before Thanksgiving, I agree the others, you don’t really have other options besides moving your cruise (or making it an adults only trip).  If it’s after, you can afford to wait to see if the orders get lifted.  Royal might have more ability to be flexible if/when the vaccine rules imposed by other nations lapse.

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The islands aren't making exceptions for age. If she is 12 and not fully vaccinated she will not be allowed on board. 

Your options are to move to the cruise now or sit and wait with options in your back pocket.

And while the Bahamas expires Nov 1 I would bet a lot of money that it will be extended. I'm with the people thinking the date is to allow them to switch it to 5+ if the CDC approves it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but it would really be nice if Royal took into account certain situations. Your child turns 12 and even if she got the shot right away she still wouldn't qualify per Royals rules. Doing everything as needed, but limited time wise I think Royal should give a little slack. I don't believe in giving people slack when they knew what they needed in order to cruise, but they didn't take care of it. When it's impossible such as in your situation I hope they help you out. Good luck and let us know how it goes. 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Knoxvegasc said:

My child turns 12 less than a month before our scheduled cruise which means it would be impossible for her to be fully vaccinated.  As written the policy means a child that is 12 on the day of sailing (even if they turn 12 that day) would have to be fully vaccinated to sail without any exemption based on birth date.  I have emailed RCI several times about this with no answer.  Does anyone know if my child can sail considered as an unvaccinated child?  If the policy is absolute we have been put in a situation where it is impossible to meet the requirement.  Any advice?

Not sure how vaccines are administered where you live, but, if you have the option of discussing early vaccination by a couple of weeks with your small business local pharmacist, try that.  I'm sure CVS has a strict policy against it, but, I'm also pretty sure my local pharmacist would consider a vaccine needed for travel at age 11 yrs and 50 weeks.

From a medical safety standpoint, I can't see how these 2 weeks would make  much difference and it gets you fully vaccinated by the travel date.

Edit:  I'm not in the medical profession so welcome more knowledgeable comments on the age difference. Or, consult your pediatrician.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Doing everything as needed, but limited time wise I think Royal should give a little slack

Royal does not have the ability to give a little slack. It is the requirements of the ports of call.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Royal does not have the ability to give a little slack. It is the requirements of the ports of call.

Exactly. Though even if it wasn't, I wouldn't want to give slack in that. If you're letting someone that's 12 and 5 weeks board, why can't my 12 and 6 weeks board because I couldn't get an appointment for them. Or 7 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

while I want my 10 yo vaccinated asap, I too am worried that the approval will happen right before we sail in November, and RCI will change the age bracket without any regard to the actual vaccine availability and completion schedule.

My friend's kid turned 12 in July and my friend couldn't find any places around here which had juvenile dosages.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Not sure how vaccines are administered where you live, but, if you have the option of discussing early vaccination by a couple of weeks with your small business local pharmacist, try that.

our local pharmacies cannot even dispense flu shots to juveniles without a pediatrician's prescription. I cannot see them breaking all sorts of rules to give a Covid shot to a child who doesn't qualify by age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know your family history but when my mom was getting her shot she was behind a family (the whole family was getting the shot at the same time) that had a child younger that 12 who was also getting the shot because they had a medically fragile family member in the household, you can get waivers for that type of situation I would call your local health dept to see if there are any waivers that your child could qualify for; a cruise would not be a situation that would qualify.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Exactly. Though even if it wasn't, I wouldn't want to give slack in that. If you're letting someone that's 12 and 5 weeks board, why can't my 12 and 6 weeks board because I couldn't get an appointment for them. Or 7 weeks. 

What about those who turn 12 on the first or second or third day of the cruise...really doesn't make any sense.  But then again the CDC is involved so why should it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

What about those who turn 12 on the first or second or third day of the cruise...really doesn't make any sense.  But then again the CDC is involved so why should it?

For everything else it goes by the age you are on the first day of the cruise. ie kids club is based on the age, when they had KSF it was based on day 1 age, you have to be 21 on day 1 to drink, kids etc. So I would assume the same would be for the vax, but I don't work for Royal so I couldn't say for sure. But I would think they don't update the manifest every day to change ages. 

The only age-ish related thing that I know of that goes for "any time during the cruise" is you're not allowed to cruise if you reach whatever the cutoff week is when you're pregnant during the cruise.

• Thanks 1

It amazes me that there are so many people who qualify for the vaccine but refuse to get it and then there are Cruise Critic Physicians who suggest that a parent vaccinate their child early before a vaccine for that age group has been approved all in the name of taking a cruise. 

Do yourself a favor avoid the stress and aggravation and prolong the cruise.  The protocols and testing from the CDC, cruise lines and ports of call seem to be getting more restricted and more complicated day by day. I don't know how anyone thinks this is any type of vacation. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

The ports of call are involved and won't allow the ship to enter if not 100% vaccinated. The CDC doesn't have any jurisdiction on foreign ports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

our local pharmacies cannot even dispense flu shots to juveniles without a pediatrician's prescription. I cannot see them breaking all sorts of rules to give a Covid shot to a child who doesn't qualify by age.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

It amazes me that there are so many people who qualify for the vaccine but refuse to get it and then there are Cruise Critic Physicians who suggest that a parent vaccinate their child early before a vaccine for that age group has been approved all in the name of taking a cruise. 

Do yourself a favor avoid the stress and aggravation and prolong the cruise.  The protocols and testing from the CDC, cruise lines and ports of call seem to be getting more restricted and more complicated day by day. I don't know how anyone thinks this is any type of vacation. 

I literally said to consult your pediatrician and pharmacist.  I'm not a doctor and I'm not playing one on CC.  No reason for you to be nasty @lamcruzin.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Is that a regulation or a pharmacy policy?

I know when my ex got shingles, I wanted the shingles vaccine.  CVS and Walgreens would only give for 60 and up, even though CDC and FDA said it was approved for 50 and up.

Finally another pharmacy was like, heck you want it, we will give it to you.

And yes, I even had a physician's prescription for it, and CVS and Walgreens refused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1