Covid Policy 2022

hulamoon

22 minutes ago, hulamoon said:

I did another search to see if there was new info today and Carnival Cruises showed up. Dated August 14th anyone denied boarding due to Covid can have compensation. Cruise lines have taken a bit hit, but doing this for vaccinated passengers would give another layer of trust to cruising again. I am assuming cruise insurance tripling in cost is due to covid. 

Premiums for third-party insurance are determined by age and amount insured. Increased risk from Covid may have had something to do with it, but most policies did not cover it once it became a known risk so I don’t know that they had big pay outs. Those risks have been mitigated by vaccines and treatments making it possible for most policies to cover it now as any other illness.

Insurance is regulated by the states so I expect similar coverage from any insurer doing business in your state would have similar rates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Cancel for any reason insurance plus a med policy for during the trip?  Anyone have this?

Readily available from many companies. Do a search at insuremytrip.com using their search feature for Covid-friendly policies. 

You probably know that CFAR must be purchased within a defined time period after initial deposit and will require an additional premium for about 75% cash reimbursement.

Cruise line insurance often includes it at no extra cost but reimburses in FCC.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hulamoon said:

Because if you are testing positive, they won't let you on and it's time to activate the 48 hour cancelation policy. It's my understanding the positive test without symptoms also means you will not board.

They want a negative 3 days out..period...I'm not getting tested other than that....upcoming cruise will be my first Covid test ever...you're right, symptoms have zero to do with it...neither does my status weeks before the cruise.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

56 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just can't live my life like that..I got the vaccine...I did my part.  I've sailed once on the Equinox this year, sailing again soon on Allure...with RCL....not going to walk around in a bubble to do it.  

Why test a few weeks prior to the cruise?  3 days is what they want.  

Fully understand but recommending testing that early is to ensure you are ok then play the isolation to some level, as an approach of not finding you are positive at boarding. 

but you are right in that the risk, although higher due to Delta and of course the unvaccinated, is still very low. We just hear about it more because it’s news. 

myself? A cruise in late Nov and will test sometime in mid Nov after spending 3 months teaching a few adult classes and then hunker down a bit more before taking the test just prior as required. I’ll be more exposed than ‘whatever is normal’ and go from there. 

And you are doing more to protect yourself and others than so many of our ‘I’m smarter than those scientists….where is the horse deworming stuff!’

den

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

May be a State by State thing.  I was running into that wall with our regular trip insurance (no Colorado COVID rider available), so I checked just yesterday, and GeoBlue had single trip options that included $100,000 and $500,000 medical evacuation.

COVID-19 Updates | GeoBlue (geo-blue.com)

They offer medical evacuation. But at the top of their page is a covid FAQ banner and once you get into there they say they don't do medical evaucation for covid. 

Medical evacuations due to COVID-19 are currently not covered under Voyager and Trekker plans

54 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

They want a negative 3 days out..period...I'm not getting tested other than that....upcoming cruise will be my first Covid test ever...you're right, symptoms have zero to do with it...neither does my status weeks before the cruise.  

The reasoning is that if you have had covid (and didn't know because you had no symptoms), you can continue to test positive for several weeks/months. So making sure that you aren't already testing positive due to a previous unknown infection. Then quarantining for 2 weeks to make sure you don't get a new infection. Then taking the required 3 day test.

It's not guaranteed but better than living your life and waiting for the 3 day test. If you are in a situation where you are driving to the port and the cruise line will give you a refund/FCC for a positive test, then I can see why you wouldn't do that. I have a trip where no one is offering a refund for a positive test. And I have to test on Saturday and then fly 9 hours on Monday. If a positive test comes back for me on Monday, that will royally suck to be 9 hours from home, unable to schedule flight because I already used it, and unable to get any refunds on my trip. 

• Like 3

What Sanger727 says. Waiting till 3 days or less for many of us would add more than a bit of an issue so I’ll check prior, then do the required test for the actual get-on-the-cruise test. 

hassle? Yup. Reduce stress, costs, and even more hassle if there’s an issue? Yup. Hopefully if more get vaccinated and the pandemic subsides, back to less hassle. 

den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the testing is 3 days out and not at the pier? I assume if I am positive a couple of weeks out I still will be when I arrive. Then take advantage of the 48 cancellation policy. Never been tested so I don't know.

Travelguard just quoted insurance for about 780. for the trip. It seems crazy for that little 48 hour period.

3 minutes ago, hulamoon said:

So the testing is 3 days out and not at the pier? I assume if I am positive a couple of weeks out I still will be when I arrive. Then take advantage of the 48 cancellation policy. Never been tested so I don't know.

Travelguard just quoted insurance for about 780. for the trip. It seems crazy for that little 48 hour period.

I'm not sure what you are trying to insure. The 48 hours if you just up and want to cancel for no reason. I'm pretty sure that if you test positive at the 72 hour test that Celebrity will give you a FCC. They don't want you on their ship. 

I don't know what the requirements will be for a Hawaii cruise in 2022. But for the Celebrity cruises operating now I believe that you have to test within 72 hours of boarding, not at the pier. So if you test positive two weeks ahead of time, plan to not go. Get your 72 hour test and assuming it's positive you should be able to get a FCC for the cruise. I would assume the airlines would be flexible in changing your flights and giving you vouchers since they don't want you on the flights either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Cancel all of your sailings and do not think about cruising until you read at their website(s) that they are doing it the way you believe it needs to be done, 'fairly' and no more guessing, for sure.

bon voyage

I have been persistent about booking new cruises, hoping to get a good deal as they scramble to fill ships. But I see the restart is not at all going as smoothly as we might have thought. And where they once had flexible and "assurance" policies, the cruises we booked under those policies have all been canceled and new policies evolve monthly and increase the risk. 

I'm not afraid of covid, even dying of it on a ship. If it happens, it happens. But it seems quite risky to me to test 2 days prior to my cruise, having been vaccinated and with no symptons, and come up positive. What might be no worse than a common cold could cancel a $25,000 cruise with potentially no flexibility for rebooking. Or, I make it on the ship, only to be "exposed", again without symptoms, and be put to shore at the next stop. It is unclear if even trip cancellation insurance would cover those cases. 

I often sail without trip insurance, but with the uncertainty, I am looking to leave cruising behind for a while. [As an aside, my wife and I have also started eating "healthier", and I'm not even sure I want to pay a lot of money for food we shouldn't eat!]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1