Sodas

apye213

We have the beverage package that is included with Free at Sea and leave on Saturday! We are so excited! It's our first time on NCL. Can anyone tell me how sodas will work? Do I need to bring a reusable bottle/Tervis etc.? Also, how does the package work for bars and alcoholic drinks? Do I just show my card at the bar for any drink less than $15? Thanks so much!

Sodas will be served in barware (plastic on pool deck, glass anywhere else) at any bar.  You could then pour it into your reusable bottle if you like.  You could also use your bottle to get water from the tap or the buffet.  Some people don't like tap water, but I've found it to be just fine. 

For any beverage, soda or booze, the bartender will swipe your card to verify that you have the beverage package.  If you order a fancy-pants drink that is over $15, the difference + a 20% gratuity will be charged to your account.  (so, an $18 drink will cost you $3.60)  In some US ports, there is also a small municipal tax collected for all drinks served while in port.  Your server will tell you if you're going to be charged.  It's a matter of less than a dollar per drink, totally worth it in my mind for a sailaway celebratory toast 🙂 

if you have the regular drink package you can get soda by the glass, if not, you can purchase a can of soda for about $3.00 unless you upgrade the drink package.

im addicted to pepsi, so it costs me about $10-15 extra a day as i prefer the cans, and we dont drinl enough booze to justify the drink upgrades.

at a bar or restaurant, you will be asked to show your room card. it will have the drink package imprinted on it as well as the dinner package.

My wife lives on Diet Pepsi.  The drink package only give you bar served type soda, squirted into a glass or plastic cup, not cans of sodas.  A can of them is around $4 now.  So we would just get two cups of Diet Pepsi, no ice, and take them to our room where we pour them up in empty 16 ounce plastic bottles we brought with us.  She then has a supply in the refridg available for her Pepsi needs morning and night. 

• Like 1

Just a minor note:  some sodas that are not on the speed gun, such as diet Sierra Mist, are served by the can and included in the drink package. 

I've found a combination of giving you the can, pouring half the can into a glass and giving you the glass and the occasional I'm too lazy to go get it so I tell the guests we don't have any. 

• Haha 1

Also if you go to locations without a fountain, they will give you cans of Pepsi on the package.  The small bar in the back of the buffet on the -away class ships, for example is always stocked with cans and doesn't charge.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, trivimp said:

Sodas will be served in barware (plastic on pool deck, glass anywhere else) at any bar.  You could then pour it into your reusable bottle if you like.  You could also use your bottle to get water from the tap or the buffet.  Some people don't like tap water, but I've found it to be just fine. 

For any beverage, soda or booze, the bartender will swipe your card to verify that you have the beverage package.  If you order a fancy-pants drink that is over $15, the difference + a 20% gratuity will be charged to your account.  (so, an $18 drink will cost you $3.60)  In some US ports, there is also a small municipal tax collected for all drinks served while in port.  Your server will tell you if you're going to be charged.  It's a matter of less than a dollar per drink, totally worth it in my mind for a sailaway celebratory toast 🙂 

I'll just add to this that there is no gratuity if you're from the UK! - This is prepaid for you.

3 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I'll just add to this that there is no gratuity if you're from the UK! - This is prepaid for you.

There is a gratuity on any costs over what is covered by the package, so in the example we would still pay the 60 cents on the $3 excess.

5 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

I read somewhere that there are vending machines in the arcades.  Is that true of all ships?  Do they contain bottles or cans?

I think I remember seeing the vending machine in the arcade on the Epic, but it was empty the whole trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

I read somewhere that there are vending machines in the arcades.  Is that true of all ships?  Do they contain bottles or cans?

Never seen one but pretty sure if they did, it would be cans.  Fyi - if you want plastic bottles (or Coke products) you can usually find some at the various ports, assuming shopping/restsurant visits are possible.  I've never been prevented from bringing a single bottle when returning to the ship - of course there is always a first time.

There should be cans in your mini-fridge.  You do have to pay (not included in drink package).  Just ask your room steward to stock with what you want and keep an eye on your room charges (they  have a tendency to get it wrong, especially on the last night)

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Does NCL have also like milkshakes available? 

You will be paying extra for milkshakes.

(Maybe you could lend your own from soft serve and milk from the buffet)! 

Purchase availability differs from ship to ship, as to where you'd find milkshakes (American Diner, The Local, etc.)