Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

3 hours ago, 9jayj said:

Cruising for the first time in a few days, and I just scored a pretty sweet upgrade for my 10 day Greece/Italy cruise on Escape. Based on the deck plan, it looks like my cruise is at ~75% capacity – more details below:

Original Room: Studio ($1576 single occupancy) 
Oceanview Bid: $75pp ($150 total – minimum bid) 
Balcony Bid: $210pp ($420 total – fair bid, accepted)

The lowest 'Fair' bid for a balcony on this cruise was $200pp – figured the extra $10 might help give me an edge over anyone that just bid the lowest for 'Fair'. Four days before departure, I received an email notifying me that I was upgraded to a balcony on the 13th floor (spooky? 👻).

Total came to $1,996 for a 10 day solo cruise – the NCL website is showing a single-occupancy balcony at $4,076 so I am quite the happy camper (or sailor?) Anyways, would love to hear your thoughts – safe travels, everyone! 😃

Nice!!

Seems they dropped the price on my next cruise… for us to upgrade to the Haven, through NCL, was $200 more than the minimum bid.  We decided to not test date and pulled the trigger.  It’s good to check prices from time to time!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Kanga777 said:

Seems they dropped the price on my next cruise… for us to upgrade to the Haven, through NCL, was $200 more than the minimum bid.  We decided to not test date and pulled the trigger.  It’s good to check prices from time to time!

Great information! How far is your cruise away? 

We would like to put a bid for the Haven (from Club Balcony Suite), but for our 7 day cruise (in October) the minimum bid for the lowest Haven categories are currently at USD 700 per person. 

Edited by kasimir

17 minutes ago, lisa928 said:

Once the bidding has started do the level-up amounts ever change?  Meaning if $290 is the lowest GOOD price for a Club Balcony Suite would that change as time goes on?

I have never see it as it is outlined right from the start in the emails.  

I have also never won a bid on probably 50-70 rooms on about a dozen sailings bidding max on everything at Haven level.

I really believe it is using points for a double meta upgrade that is preventing me from getting it.

28 minutes ago, lisa928 said:

Once the bidding has started do the level-up amounts ever change?  Meaning if $290 is the lowest GOOD price for a Club Balcony Suite would that change as time goes on?

They have not changed for me and I am 7 days out right now.  

Mscdivina2016 says she’s never won an upgrade bid even though she’s bid the maximum amount.  She thinks it’s Probably due to a double meta upgrade on her initial cabin.  We always do a single meta upgrade.  Has anyone ever won an upgrade under the single meta upgrade scenario?  If so what range was your winning bid (poor,fair,good, excellent)? 

2 hours ago, lisa928 said:

Lowest minimum bid does go down on some rooms sometimes. So I'm guessing that would affect the 'goodness' of your original bid.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Lowest minimum bid does go down on some rooms sometimes. So I'm guessing that would affect the 'goodness' of your original bid.

It might show you having a better chance on the meter, but does it actually improve your chances?  As an example:  If the range is $200 to $2,000 and you bid $500 ($300 over minimum), but other bid $200, $250, $250, $600, $700, $800 and $1,000, You are pretty low on the meter and you are the 5th highest bid out of 8 bids.

Now if they do the 50% off bidding again, as they have in the past so now the range is between $100 and $1,000.  Now, assuming everyone has the same bids, you are now $400 above the minimum, and now you would be right in the middle of the meter, which sound really great.  But you are still the 5th highest bid out of 8 bids, so how has anything changed?

43 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It might show you having a better chance on the meter, but does it actually improve your chances?  As an example:  If the range is $200 to $2,000 and you bid $500 ($300 over minimum), but other bid $200, $250, $250, $600, $700, $800 and $1,000, You are pretty low on the meter and you are the 5th highest bid out of 8 bids.

Now if they do the 50% off bidding again, as they have in the past so now the range is between $100 and $1,000.  Now, assuming everyone has the same bids, you are now $400 above the minimum, and now you would be right in the middle of the meter, which sound really great.  But you are still the 5th highest bid out of 8 bids, so how has anything changed?

Nothing changed or changes in the end based on your example. I see 4th highest bid but I may be looking at something wrong.

You also need to factor in what category is involved and the possibility of max bidders who would basically reduce the available inventory as they would have accepted their bids before they lowered it, and based on your example, they would now have another max bid at $1000 now.

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

An example for our 8/23 sailing:

image.png.b525d0844a7f181dfbddddf2b1c3c4e9.png

14 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Looks to me like 8/19 is when they start accepting bids for your cruise.

Not so. Bidding has been open for a while. This is a response to show that bidding ranges do change and there is a need to keep checking to make sure you don't over/under your bid.

4 minutes ago, Ed342 said:

Not so. Bidding has been open for a while. This is a response to show that bidding ranges do change and there is a need to keep checking to make sure you don't over/under your bid.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say that’s when bidding opened, I meant that might be when they start actually upgrading people. I know they can do that whenever they want after bidding opens, but it seems like lately the soonest anyone hears that they’ve been upgraded is about 4 days out from their sail date. That’s why that date stood out to me as compared to your sail date.

But absolutely yes, definitely keep checking! I know what our bids are for various cabins and what the cost is to book an upgrade outright, and those numbers keep getting closer. Today is 90 days out for us, and there was a pretty decent drop in fares this past week. The highest possible bids for those cabins are a decent amount over the cost to just upgrade, so leaving a max bid (or even a mid-range bid) pending would be silly.

Now I know to also check the bidding page to see if there is any change there, so I really appreciate your sharing the screenshot!

Tried a mock booking for our upcoming cruise and all Haven rooms are sold out. Yet it did accept my bid for an upgraded Haven room. Is it only possible to win if someone cancels? Does the system ever not take bids when rooms are sold out?

13 minutes ago, MacII said:

Tried a mock booking for our upcoming cruise and all Haven rooms are sold out. Yet it did accept my bid for an upgraded Haven room. Is it only possible to win if someone cancels? Does the system ever not take bids when rooms are sold out?

When a cancellation occurs.

They take bids for just in case 

Edited by mscdivina2016
Error

So I booked a sail away inside last Thursday sailing on the Sky on 8/16.  On Friday I got the email to bid, so I did for both an ocean view and a balcony.  Today when I looked at my account I saw I had been assigned an inside cabin, so is it safe to assume I did not win a bid?

Thanks,

Kristi

13 minutes ago, kristi391 said:

So I booked a sail away inside last Thursday sailing on the Sky on 8/16.  On Friday I got the email to bid, so I did for both an ocean view and a balcony.  Today when I looked at my account I saw I had been assigned an inside cabin, so is it safe to assume I did not win a bid?

Thanks,

Kristi

no, you still have a chance, but you will be notifies by email if you scored the  upgrade

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kristi391 said:

Thanks,

Kristi

No, up to day before 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, complawyer said:

no, you still have a chance, but you will be notifies by email if you scored the  upgrade

21 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

No, up to day before 

Oh, ok, very good to know. Thank you both for the replies.

3 hours ago, kristi391 said:

Thanks,

Kristi

Assumed you booked a Sail AWay GTY. Now it's been assigned. The bidding email is not from NCL, but from a 3rd party who does this promotion.

We leave Thursday on the Sun for Alaska. We booked inside. With gratuities and mid range insurance it was just under $2800. We were given the opp to place upgrade bids for balcony or Club Balcony Suite. I think I bid at minimum or just above. Got the email this morning that we were upgraded to the Club Balcony Suite for an additional $300 pp. Having a balcony for Alaska will be sweet.

• Like 2