New to Oceania Cruises

Susie Cruises

27 minutes ago, Susie Cruises said:

My husband and I are thinking about taking an Oceania Cruise on the Riviera.  Can you give me your opinions on this cruise line?   Holland America is our cruising choice.

You may want to check with your friends who regularly cruised with HAL then tried O and never looked back.

There really is no comparison. O has what many top food mags agree is the Finest Cuisine at Sea™️. Add to that excellent space and crew-to-passengers ratios, stellar service and first class cabin bedding and amenities.

In addition, while HAL will “nickel-dime” you for extra cost items, you’ll find that O’s fares include internet, beverages specialty restaurants, and airfare (tix or credit) as well as your choice of added O Life perks (excursions, booze or SBC).

• Like 1

We are primarily NCL cruisers who recently (late 2019) tried Oceania and have reservations for a cruise on the Riviera in November.  We enjoyed the smaller ship size and lower number of passengers and great ratio to crew.  The food quality was great, as advertised, even in the pool buffet.  The focus on great food and wine and ability to visit smaller unique ports of call suited us.  

The cabin was comfortable and well appointed.  The atmosphere on O is classy, but not "formal".  

We found O suited our lifestyle and interests and provided a relaxing vacation and when the inclusions are considered, the overall value was high.  On NCL we paid premiums to enjoy the Haven or specialty restaurants or even a cappuccino.  We appreciated a more all inclusive format.

2 hours ago, Susie Cruises said:

My husband and I are thinking about taking an Oceania Cruise on the Riviera.  Can you give me your opinions on this cruise line?   Holland America is our cruising choice.

The  cruise line is wonderful   😉

No formal nights , no photographers, no art auctions

non alcoholic drinks included, wonderful afternoon tea  daily (except embarkation day)

quality food  compared  to HAL

comfortable beds/linens

Less pax  than the larger ships

limited smoking areas  ..only 2 small areas

Give them a try  they may suit your wants/needs

• Like 3

I also have sailed NCL many times. Usually in the haven or suites. I have my second Oceania cruise booked. I sailed the Riviera and loved what they offered. All the above mentioned are correct. While I have 2 more sailings on the NCL sun in a suite, I will miss the O experience. I cannot explain it, but there is just something special about Oceania. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rummblestrip said:

....I cannot explain it, but there is just something special about Oceania. 

FWIW: IMO, it’s the unpretentious yet decorous environment efficaciously maintained by a dedicated crew (every department) with a bottom line value that is much appreciated by well-traveled passengers who have worked hard for their money.

The “icing on the cake?” The inviting longer itineraries and, of course, the food.

• Like 2

I am sure you will hear from many more HAL guests on this Board and they too are venturing out and testing the Oceania waters.  We found Oceania in 2007. We had been sailing with friends who were Princess Commodore’s and would only sail on Princess. After about five less than memorable experiences, we told our friends that we had found a “Home” and would not be joining them again on Princess and if they wanted to travel with us, they had to give Oceania a try.  No one has gone back to Princess.  The same holds true for our HAL cruising friends, never gone back. From their first comment that Oceania is too expensive, to OMG, where are we going next, there is no reason to ever leave your new Oceania family. Our latest guest friend who is also a HAL cruiser, has seen the light and booked at least 6, or maybe 8 Oceania cruises over the next two years.  Their first O cruise will be 4 cruises over 46 days so that is an amazing show of faith on their part for Oceania or else we and their other O friends have definitely sung the praises about Oceania well. 

Believe me, you are not taking a risk, you are just making the next logical step in Cruise maturity, IMHO. Book, Sail and Enjoy. Also, when you are aboard, the Oceania CLub Ambassador is your new BFF so definitely spend some time with her or him..  

Gerry  and Bonnie, aka Mauibabes.  

• Like 4

We left Holland for Oceania in 2009 and never looked back.  We enjoy the opportunity to dine in Riviera's  4 specialty restaurants without an upcharge.  You will also not see an upcharge on premium menu items, i.e. steaks, lobster.  Riviera (& her sister ship Marina) do have a wine parings venue, La Reserve.  This is a lovely room and the experience there is outstanding.  La Reserve and the private dining room, Privee, are the only venues with an additional charge.

All staterooms have a fridge that is stocked free of charge.  Let your stateroom attendant/butler know what soft drinks and mixers you prefer.  All non-alcoholic drinks throughout the ships are included.  You may find that one of the drink packages suit your style.  Just so you know, you are welcome to bring aboard bottles of wine and spirits to enjoy in your stateroom.  A bottle of wine can be taken to any dining venue and opened for a one-time corkage fee.  Any remaining wine is stored and may be called for at any other restaurant.  Oceania takes a very civilized approach on this matter & it is quite to our liking.

Welcome to Oceania!

Katie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Oceania is too expensive, to OMG, where are we going next

Sums up our experience too. After Princess x3 and 1x HAL we tried an Oceania Marina cruise in the Baltic only because it had 3 days in St Petersburg.  Now, after 2 more long trips on Nautica we have 5 more booked, and we're waitlisted on another. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Where you been? I'm assuming not a cruise. Missed you around here lately. 

ORV - I am assuming you missed me?

If so - you may be alone 😀

Thanks. Nice to be missed instead of being censored for no good reason (IMO)

So I am just watching the action for most of the time. 😀

• Like 8

Oceania announced a Labor Day Sale today with up to 4 Level upgrades for some Regatta, Sirena and Riviera in early 2022. Based on all you have heard on this board, you should enjoy yourselves and make sure you connect on a CC Roll Call once you have your cruise booked so you can start meeting guests and enjoying the Oceania family. 
Mauibabes