NCL PCR/Antigen testing policy in 72 hrs prior to cruise

emerald6273

In relation Antigen testing within 72 hrs prior to cruise,  is anyone aware if test has to be administered by a third party? Are self testing home kits acceptable to NCL? Kits you purchase, that are UK Government approved and you perform the test yourself from home or abroad, and upload a picture of the lateral flow test device after 15 minutes next to your passport or photo ID. Results certificate issued in a PDF format.  There is nothing on NCL's website to clarify this.

Screenshot_20210831-220024_Chrome.jpg

We are on a Mediterranean cruise on Epic from Rome. We are doing a PCR test on our way out of town at a CVS. We arrive one day early so our results will be ready at check-in.  Insurance will cover test for travel to another country for us.  Also have to carry a home test to take prior to return. That cost was $150 for 6 tests.

1 hour ago, SwimmingDragon said:

People have been turned away from the cruise for providing a "Home" test. You must use a company that provides a PCR test. It must go to a lab. The Home tests are not PCR tests. 

Are you talking about NCL or some other cruise line?

• Like 1

People have been turned away from the cruise for providing a "Home" test. You must use a company that provides a PCR test. It must go to a lab. The Home tests are not PCR tests. 

from what I've been reading and understanding, the at home test is valid only if you gets the results certify with the telehealth service. you need the telehealth service to validate your results. If you do not have the telehealth service, the test will not be accepted

You're talking about something completely different.

The screenshot OP included says PCR OR antigen.

NCL does not require you to be tested before arriving at the pier.  However, when you check-in and NCL administers a test, if you test positive, NCL will not assist you unless you previously had a negative test.

OP is asking if an at home test meets the requirement for NCL assistance should they test positive at embarkation.

Edited by kevintheoman
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you talking about NCL or some other cruise line?

After going back and looking, another cruise line. Thanks for the good point on that on that! 

8 minutes ago, kevintheoman said:

You're talking about something completely different.

The screenshot OP included says PCR OR antigen.

NCL does not require you to be tested before arriving at the pier.  However, when you check-in and NCL administers a test, if you test positive, NCL will not assist you unless you previously had a negative test.

OP is asking if an at home test meets the requirement for NCL assistance should they test positive at embarkation.

Gotcha. Didn’t think of it that way.

Ya know this really does get very confusing. I’m coming from a position where I have to get tested before we show up to the pier with the 72 hr PCR test, but that’s because of Bermuda. We actually have to provide it to get on the ship (Bermuda’s requirements). This is for something completely different. This is about keeping your arse covered if you do test positive at the pier.

to the OP, I would get a third party to administer the test, more official than a home kit and probably less chance of it being disregarded because of validity. Like if you got tested at CVS, then NCL can call CVS to confirm that you did indeed go visit there when you did, etc. A home kit NCL is relying on the kit you bring and your word. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

That is incorrect information. The policy says PCR or Antigen tests. Antigen tests do not go to a lab. They are done with a swab, sometimes by the person taking the test but monitored by the testing staff. The staff will ID the test taker read the results and document the results. These are rapid result tests. These Antigen tests are what NCL is using at the pier. Not all antigen tests are home tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

I'm aware PCR tests are processed at a Laboratory. It's the Antigen Test my question relates to which is also acceptable by NCL. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, emerald6273 said:

In relation Antigen testing within 72 hrs prior to cruise,  is anyone aware if test has to be administered by a third party? Are self testing home kits acceptable to NCL? Kits you purchase, that are UK Government approved and you perform the test yourself from home or abroad, and upload a picture of the lateral flow test device after 15 minutes next to your passport or photo ID. Results certificate issued in a PDF format.  There is nothing on NCL's website to clarify this.

Screenshot_20210831-220024_Chrome.jpg

It specifically says on your e-mail that it must be administered.

See here: https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/prepare-for-your-cruise/2021

image.thumb.png.a46218b11741ef15ca9c431455ea472d.png

10 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Not true, it can be antigen as long as its administered. Doesn't need to be a PCR

1 hour ago, emerald6273 said:

I'm aware PCR tests are processed at a Laboratory. It's the Antigen Test my question relates to which is also acceptable by NCL. 

I don’t know if NCL has made a statement about this. However, supervised home tests where you video chat with a tech as you complete the test - are permitted to fly from to the US from abroad, on carnival, and on celebrity. 

the first suggestion where you take test and upload a picture probably won’t fly. However, a supervised home test may. But I would call NCL to verify.

UPDATE 

Spoke to NCL UK office who advised that Antigen  within 72 hrs prior to embarkation test must be administered by a third party. You also count the 72 hours back from sailing time on date of cruise. I have suggested it would be helpful to passengers if they updated website about third party requirement.

18 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

UPDATE 

Spoke to NCL UK office who advised that Antigen  within 72 hrs prior to embarkation test must be administered by a third party. You also count the 72 hours back from sailing time on date of cruise. I have suggested it would be helpful to passengers if they updated website about third party requirement.

The website already says third party:

image.thumb.png.b2b7179ead193aa685d740db0b0ce204.png

11 minutes ago, emerald6273 said:

I've never received the prepare for your cruise email despite sailing in less than 21 days

Neither did we and we sail on the 12th.  I called my PCC yesterday and he has raised it to tech support to find out why.  I also asked about the info in the link not matching what is on the main FAQ regarding UK passengers as this was removed from main FAQ last week.  He will try to find out but did say that it may get updated in the coming days when the situation regarding the latest EU stuff is more clear.  We have a test booked anyway so it wont matter to us if it gets changed or not 🙂

24 minutes ago, Fun4Us2013 said:

Here’s my question. We are flying to Rome thru London. Does landing at Heathrow airport constitute a “traverse” through UK? Do I need a 72 hour or 48 hour test? 

Italy require a 48 hour test. NCL require 72. So you would need a test within 48 hours before your arrival into Italy.

Hi, I contacted ncl via webchat on this very topic yesterday as I will be Spain on 27th, prior to returning to UK that day and then leaving UK for Italy on the 28th to board Epic on 29th. I am doing a self administered antigen with validation and certification by a UK government approved 3rd party in Spain to return to the UK, which will fall within the 72hr window of embarking Epic - I don't want to.pay for another test if necessary so I asked for confirmation that this test would be acceptable even though it was self administered but 3rd party validated as it was acceptable for the UK and Italian governments,  the agent confirmed on webchat that it would be acceptable. I have kept a copy of the transcript and will be taking it with me along with the third party certificate. 

3 hours ago, emerald6273 said:

I've never received the prepare for your cruise email despite sailing in less than 21 days

We haven’t received one either, and we’re flying to Rome on 8 Sept. for the cruise.

I have booked a COVID Antigen test to be performed at Boots near where I live, the day before we fly, so we should be all right for Italy and embarkation.
NCL test us again at the port at their expense.

I need to book a “day 2 PCR test” before we travel, ready for when we get home.

NCL are performing the pre disembarkation antigen test before we fly home at their expense.

I have been getting rather confused with the requirements, but I think I have it sorted in my mind.

Things get confused on here as there are people of different nationalities with their own requirements being discussed.

• Like 3

I have checked the certificate i git from the 3rd party that validated my self administered test when I was in Gran Canaria in July prior to returning to UK, it provides all the information requested by NCL and to be honest, I cannot see in any way that NCL would be able to tell from this certificate who actually administered the test...