Hot Off the Presses...... Nov Dec sailings

groundloop

4 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Guess im losing money on my disneyland tickets which are non refundable as well as the 500 OBC I had with this booking offer (best offer i can get now is only 200 dollars OBC).  Flights cancelled, Hotels cancelled, Cheers and excursions refunds to wait for.  Held out hope but after it dropped to 67 days with ship still in Cadiz and no word about sailing i kinda was resigned to the fact it wouldnt happen.  Just sucks to lose money on this. Whelp off to check out what sailing i can move to now that might not get cancelled.

Try to call Disney and ask for a credit. They were very flexible earlier on in the pandemic and they may be willing to help you out. Just mention you are from Canada and talk about travel, testing. etc.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I'd be really surprised if anywhere near 50% of passengers choose to get tested at the port, for the simple reason that they'd have to pay up front and hope to get reimbursed through their insurance.  

Sounds like a LOT of at home tests are about to be purchased!  We'll more than likely cancel.  Our insurance doesn't cover rapid tests.  And no way can we get results back in 48 hours - much less get an appointment where we are. Thanks to the OP for this.  I'll keep an eye on this thread, as well as the one about the home tests.  I said a long time ago that the CDC just wants the cruising industry to go away entirely.  I was laughed at.  Just another step in their process. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowballs mom said:

Also, this:

Mobile Testing

We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13, 2021. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still working out the details and ask that you check back on this page. Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance.

It said stay tuned to this page for updates.

What is this page from

2 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Could someone briefly explain (W/O DEBATES!) why the vaccinated passengers only get a 2 day window instead of 3 like the unvaxxed?  

I think I read somewhere that unvaxxed need to be tested day of the cruise as well...I could be wrong. I don't cruise until April and I already have a headache trying to follow along. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Could someone briefly explain (W/O DEBATES!) why the vaccinated passengers only get a 2 day window instead of 3 like the unvaxxed?  

I thought unvaccinated guest got tested by carnival day of for $150 each

3 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Because vaxxed can still do a rapid antigen test and unvaxxed need a PCR??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief1369 said:

Because vaxxed can still do a rapid antigen test and unvaxxed need a PCR??

Correct. Vaccinated can get a rapid test rather than PCR; unvaccinated MUST have PCR. Also, Vaccinated are tested AGAIN prior to embarkation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

I thought unvaccinated guest got tested by carnival day of for $150 each

If Carnival continues into Nov/Dec what they are doing already the unvaccinated get Rapid tested before and after by Carnival and also have to bring a negative result from a 72 hours PCR/NAAT with them. 

9 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Testing is a point in time.  You can test negative one day and positive the next.  Since the unvaxxed need to test before coming and test at the pier, 3 days is fine.   For the vaccinated , there is no test before boarding at the pier. They are closing the window to eliminate more cases slipping thru that go from negative at 72 hrs to positive in the next few days before stepping on board. Royal put out some stats that they eliminated approx 10 cases each week with the pre testing. This may eliminate more. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Maybe someone has turned up positive during the cruise even though they had a neg test result before the cruise. That one day less might show the positive result earlier. Carnival is desperate to make nice with the CDC. I thought they were doing OK. Do they really want to loss more customers? Cruising use to be such fun. 

• Like 2

And if you're planning on submitting it to your insurance... You might take a look at the coverage before doing so. I am unaware of any insurance company that covers tests that are not medically necessary. Many (mine included) specifically call out 'return to work' and 'for travel' as not medically necessary (and provide no coverage). 

22 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

Correct. Vaccinated can get a rapid test rather than PCR; unvaccinated MUST have PCR. Also, Vaccinated are tested AGAIN prior to embarkation. 

Thank you!  Makes sense, but I didn't realize that vaccinated guests have to test twice.  Oh well - point may be moot for us anyway.  Even if our insurance covered the rapid tests, it's still cutting it very close for results to return, with the exception of using a home test.  So frustrating!  I've already looked at the CCL calendar, and our DEC 2021 cruise is also available in 2023.  We've already filled our cruise slots for 2022, so we'll more than likely once again be lifting and shifting if allowed to do so with no penalty as we did with our SEP 4 2021 cruise (which I'm supposed to be packing for today!  🤬

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brkintx said:

And if you're planning on submitting it to your insurance... You might take a look at the coverage before doing so. I am unaware of any insurance company that covers tests that are not medically necessary. Many (mine included) specifically call out 'return to work' and 'for travel' as not medically necessary (and provide no coverage). 

EXACTLY.  Same here.  Many assume their insurance will cover all COVID tests.  I was surprised when I learned ours does not.  It did in 2020 - but it changed in 2021.

So.......

DW and I have a cruise that departs on Sunday December 26, based on the new 48 hr (2 day) guidance, we would have to get tested on Dec 24th (Christmas Eve)?

I'm about ready to call B.S. on all of this and kick the can down the road (move my cruise to next year sometime).

I had allot of optimism earlier in the summer that things would be getting back to normal soon... guess not.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

EXACTLY.  Same here.  Many assume their insurance will cover all COVID tests.  I was surprised when I learned ours does not.  It did in 2020 - but it changed in 2021.

And... it goes without saying that selecting "I have a possible exposure" on the claim form to make it medically necessary, whilst also clicking 'I have not had an exposure' to travel is about the easiest insurance fraud case ever to prosecute...  (The tests are cheap in the context of a vacation... just plan on paying for them IMO.)

• Like 1

Just now, edgeman61 said:

So.......

DW and I have a cruise that departs on Sunday December 26, based on the new 48 hr (2 day) guidance, we would have to get tested on Dec 24th (Christmas Eve)?

I'm about ready to call B.S. on all of this and kick the can down the road (move my cruise to next year sometime).

I had allot of optimism earlier in the summer that things would be getting back to normal soon... guess not.

Or December 25, or December 26 (if results were available prior to boarding time).  The rule is within not exactly at.

This is why the proctored (or on site) tests are a good plan...  The emed one has 24/7 proctors available (so stated in that thread anyway).

1 minute ago, Brkintx said:

This is why the proctored (or on site) tests are a good plan...  The emed one has 24/7 proctors available (so stated in that thread anyway).

And it will be interesting to see if/when these sell out and/or the price on these test go up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tm_aw_love said:

Also, Vaccinated are tested AGAIN prior to embarkation. 

I think you meant unvaccinated.

Vaxxed people only need the one test.  Unvaxxed are tested twice - one is a PCR test prior to arriving at pier, and then a quick-test at the pier (and again before debarking if > 4 day cruise), for the fee of $150.

49 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Makes sense, but I didn't realize that vaccinated guests have to test twice. 

They don't - see above.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brkintx said:

And... it goes without saying that selecting "I have a possible exposure" on the claim form to make it medically necessary, whilst also clicking 'I have not had an exposure' to travel is about the easiest insurance fraud case ever to prosecute... 

The two statements are made at different times.  If I want a test because I may have been exposed, but the test comes back negative, why not change my opinion that I have not been exposed?  I have new data, so I change my conclusion.

• Like 2

Within the chat by J Heald, or any official CCL press release today, is there any specific mention of either cancellations or return-to-service for Carnival Elation??  Those are [seemingly] still being sold for later this year.