LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam/The Return.... Part Two

LAFFNVEGAS

56 minutes ago, julia said:

@LAFFNVEGAS

Lisa: Thx for the long reply.

And wow...  the fact that HAL would not covid test for departure (when their website CLEARLY states it!) is seriously not good. I wonder if it was just this couple?  And what about testing B2Bs in the future?

You might want to do a PSA on a separate thread about this...  it is that important!

I actually saw this on a Facebook post for some people this last week on Princess and were stating they now needed to find somewhere to get tested. If you watch YouTube at all there is a guy that goes by Cruising With Don and the same thing happened to him but he found out prior to flying to get on the Carnival Mardi Gras that they were no longer going to test Canadians so they could fly home after being told they would. I beleive this happened right before we left on our cruise. 

I think the cruise lines do not want to be liable. If you tested positive on board they would possible have to quarantine you and be obligated to get you off the ship to quarantine. They do not want that liability.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS
added more
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, echoshipmate said:

@LAFFNVEGAS, thank you for the review. Sorry to hear about the Pinnacle problems. Do you know how the Manager is and do you happen to know if she/he will be staying on the the Oct. 2 Panama repositioning? Thanks for taking your time onboard to take us along.

His name tag stated Willy, I remember he was the Pinnacle Manager on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March 2019 sailing and in all honesty I was not thrilled that sailing either and we had a Neptune then as well. Their contracts for this position are normally 4 to 6 months so would guess he will still be on board.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your observations. How things can change in a month. I wonder if the Canadian Pinnacle Grill Chef was still on-board? 

For morning coffee in the Pinnacle Grill we usually order the French Press which we think is better.

Hopefully, all of you will add your comments on your post cruise critiques.

Hope they read and address your findings and concerns as we are back on-board in a few weeks for 23 days!

Thanks for sharing your cruise.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thanks for sharing your observations. How things can change in a month. I wonder if the Canadian Pinnacle Grill Chef was still on-board? 

For morning coffee in the Pinnacle Grill we usually order the French Press which we think is better.

Hopefully, all of you will add your comments on your post cruise critiques.

Hope they read and address your findings and concerns as we are back on-board in a few weeks for 23 days!

Thanks for sharing your cruise.

Hello @aliaschief, we also are on board for the Oct 2 cruise, I have seen such changes in the Pinnacle from one manager to the next. On an  Oosterdam 28 day B2B the Pinnacle manager changed at the end of cruise 1 and the improvement was amazing, chef was the same, only change was the manager. Our favorite chef was Baboo(sp) for the Pinnacle on the Amsterdam, a real professional. He even made samosas for the Neptune lounge and knocked on our door to let us know they were hot and fresh.  As you said, only a few weeks till off we go!

Doug

• Like 1

@LAFFNVEGAS Our cruise is Saturday.  Would you mind commenting a bit more regarding Gala?  I am starting to pack now and would like to know what people are wearing to the event.  Also, you mentioned upsells for MDR dining.  Were there upsells for the Gala nights?  Thank you, and it has been great to read your posts.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

His name tag stated Willy, I remember he was the Pinnacle Manager on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March 2019 sailing and in all honesty I was not thrilled that sailing either and we had a Neptune then as well. Their contracts for this position are normally 4 to 6 months so would guess he will still be on board.

Thank you for the information. Sorry to hear, we have encountered a few, but he doesn't ring a bell.

• Like 1

Thanks @LAFFNVEGAS for your insights, it will be interesting to see how others felt about their Pinnacle experiences.  It is disappointing when you go for breakfast and the service is dismal but really, watered down V8 juice?  Ugh.  Just say "we're out" and go from there.

A question - are you allowed to bring on your own refillable Nalgene (a type of hard plastic) water bottles, or do you have to use their aluminum bottled water?  DH takes meds at noon and it's convenient to bring along a bottle of water that we just fill from the tap in the cabin.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I actually saw this on a Facebook post for some people this last week on Princess and were stating they now needed to find somewhere to get tested. If you watch YouTube at all there is a guy that goes by Cruising With Don and the same thing happened to him but he found out prior to flying to get on the Carnival Mardi Gras that they were no longer going to test Canadians so they could fly home after being told they would. I beleive this happened right before we left on our cruise. 

I think the cruise lines do not want to be liable. If you tested positive on board they would possible have to quarantine you and be obligated to get you off the ship to quarantine. They do not want that liability.

I have been following Rich on FB and they have been tested weekly on board.  Seems like a real contradiction between Alaska & Europe sailing 🤷‍♂️ 

Wonder if liability issues are different in the U.S. than in Europe?

19 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Thanks @LAFFNVEGAS for your insights, it will be interesting to see how others felt about their Pinnacle experiences.  It is disappointing when you go for breakfast and the service is dismal but really, watered down V8 juice?  Ugh.  Just say "we're out" and go from there.

A question - are you allowed to bring on your own refillable Nalgene (a type of hard plastic) water bottles, or do you have to use their aluminum bottled water?  DH takes meds at noon and it's convenient to bring along a bottle of water that we just fill from the tap in the cabin.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Yes. The reason for aluminum bottled water was strictly a recycling decision and to help the environment from plastic waste.

• Like 2

This is very distressing about the testing.  First of all for hal to say they will then don’t is beyond the pale.  I would be literally impossible to get a same day  pcr test to fly home.  Doesn’t it take at least 24 hours? Wasn’t hal supposed to arrange testing at the pier so I wonder how this is different.  Hal should allow Canadians to cancel without penalty.  Every time I think that I might go on my fall cruise another monkey wrench gets thrown into it.  I guess the only ones that will be able to sail in the USA are people from United States.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

Hello @aliaschief, we also are on board for the Oct 2 cruise, I have seen such changes in the Pinnacle from one manager to the next. On an  Oosterdam 28 day B2B the Pinnacle manager changed at the end of cruise 1 and the improvement was amazing, chef was the same, only change was the manager. Our favorite chef was Baboo(sp) for the Pinnacle on the Amsterdam, a real professional. He even made samosas for the Neptune lounge and knocked on our door to let us know they were hot and fresh.  As you said, only a few weeks till off we go!

Doug

From all I can gather this is the same Pinnacle team we had a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I have been following Rich on FB and they have been tested weekly on board.  Seems like a real contradiction between Alaska & Europe sailing 🤷‍♂️ 

Wonder if liability issues are different in the U.S. than in Europe?

At one time I was booked on Eurodam for Greece.  Switched over to AK for July 24th.  Greece required the testing according to my PCC and Seth.  AK didn’t have testing requirements.   

Unless it changed HAL would test upon Embark in Greece and also on Debark so people could fly home since U.S. required a test within 72 hours.    The Protocols were different for Europe vs AK Cruises.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The number one thing with Holland America that I learned many years ago is " There is NO Consistancy" as well as Everyone's Experience will also be very different. Things I enjoy doing may not be the same as the people in the stateroom next to me. 

And, so such continues.  No change as to who the President of HAL is.  

Thank you for an interesting comparison of your two recent cruises on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

From what you experienced in dining, it does sound like the storerooms were getting low on supplies.  And, why is this?  Isn't the ship going to do a re-positioning to Fort Lauderdale when the Alaska season is over? 

A change of Executive Chefs?  A change of Hotel Directors?  Could this have contributed to your recent experience.  Most concerning are the "vibes" that you picked up from the crew.  If the same ones are going from being "HAL Happy" to not being so much so, something is seriously amiss.  

I do miss having the Wine Stewards, I think this is a huge mistake on Holland America's part but I think they feel that most have the Siganture Beverage package so no need to order bottles of wine. You actually did not see anyone with any bottles either.

If I had been aboard, you might have seen me with my bottle of wine in the MDR.  This "Signature Beverage Package" is not reflective of the image of the "Signature of Excellence" (or its previous advertising slogans) that HAL tries to project.  It's an advertising gimmick that is hoped to provide for an increase in the Beverage Department's bottom line when those who opt for such a "benefit" don't imbibe as much as they might.  

Over all I think HAL needs to do a big overhaul of the Pinnacle products. Other cruise lines that are also mass market have a truly premium service with their suite perks. (I am comparing Princess and NCL which are in the same price range) 

MSC's Yacht Club offered more benefits to me than my Neptune Suite did.  

• Like 1

I am so very sad to hear this.  After over 30 cruises on HAL in only Neptune or Pinnacle suites this confirms my decision to move on.  We have so enjoyed the Celebrity suite experience. There is no comparison between the HAL suite experience and the Celebrity suite experience. We used to enjoy the Pinnacle breakfast experience and dining every night in Tamarind or Pinnacle Grill.  It sounds like the breakfast in Pinnacle and dinner are not good.  We have 3 more cruises booked with Celebrity in suites but a $7,000 credit (due to cancelled HAL cruise due to COVID) with a charter company that is going to announce  HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam in early 2023. We’re in a lottery to get the PS which we originally booked but can no longer be guaranteed due to “pent up demand.”  We figured in the PS we could enjoy the suite while managing expectations compared to Celebrity.

I posted this earlier, but could someone please tell me which deck has the largest balcony on the aft Neptune suite wraps in case I don’t get the penthouse.  I’m fine with a total overhang. Just want to know which deck has the largest verandah.  Thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

At one time I was booked on Eurodam for Greece.  Switched over to AK for July 24th.  Greece required the testing according to my PCC and Seth.  AK didn’t have testing requirements.   

Unless it changed HAL would test upon Embark in Greece and also on Debark so people could fly home since U.S. required a test within 72 hours.    The Protocols were different for Europe vs AK Cruises.  

they are also testing those that stay on board.  Every week.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Thanks!  Didn’t know that and a change from when we were booked.  

That’s in Europe.  I am posting (with Permission) Rich’s posts from FB on the Eurodam.  Prior to every turnaround day they are tested.

• Like 1

Just some random thoughts:

Our cabin steward “Agus” introduced himself on embarkation day. Asked how we wanted to be addressed. Said our cabin would only be serviced in the morning (no problem, I can turn down my own bed) but he asked if we would like anything in the evening other than 2 “When and Where’s.” Yes, ice and chocolates. I forgot about the towel animals. I did miss them but no big deal. “Tri” was his assistant. They were excellent ninjas (I never saw them but knew they had been there). 

Navigator:

~The Navigator was very handy*. We ordered towels a couple of times, had room service trays and laundry picked up. 

~Chat feature was hit and miss. It does let you know if a chat came in by putting a notification (1, 2, etc.) next to the icon but still no sound or vibration. Sometimes the chat didn’t come in right away. One was 28 minutes later and another was the next day! 

~I ordered both my dog sled excursion and transfer to the airport on the Navigator. Easy peasy. 

~My statement was spot on. I did get a few notifications from my credit card that the NA charged my credit card (weird amounts but I think HAL was just checking). I’ll have to see what my bank says tomorrow. 

*Sometimes I would have to turn on the ship’s WiFi again. It got REALY annoying on Friday when I had to turn it on Every. Single. Time. I wanted to use the Navigator. 

Room Service:

We ordered breakfast via the door card a few times. Came right on time. Order was correct. Used the TV once (on the last night**) to look at the menu and then called in the order. 

**Last day breakfast:

I guess I missed this on previous sailings but there is NO room service breakfast on the last morning. Only Lido and MDR. So we ordered room service about 10:30pm the previous night: Club sandwich and fruit, put it in ziplock bag, and then the fridge. 

My TA had requested a mattress topper before the cruise. I didn’t notice but there was not one on either bed. The first night was not very restful (the ship was a little rocky and my hip hurt because of the mattress). I left a note for Agus and Tri the next morning and it was taken care of right away. 

Laundry: We sent out laundry 3-4 times (we are 4* and 5* Mariners). Except for the first day (which was fine) it always came back the SAME day. 

There are no more comment cards/atta boys (can’t remember what they are called) at Guest Services. You have to use the Navigator: On the bottom tap “connect” then I think “feedback.”

Port Valet worked great except I was getting bit worried about my tags. They were not there before dinner at 5:30pm Friday. But when I returned from dinner they were in the cabin. All cruise ports should have this service.

Things I miss: 

~Alcoholic coffee in Explorers Cafe. They used to have maybe 5 coffees, including a coffee of the day. One drink I remember was “Captain’s Call” but not sure what was in it. I asked the server and he asked the others. They didn’t know. So I just usually got an americano with a shot of Baileys. 

~After dinner liqueur in souvenir glass. 

• Like 8