LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam/The Return.... Part Two

LAFFNVEGAS

7 minutes ago, zelker said:

@LAFFNVEGAS Wow!  You're definitely having gorgeous weather this time around!  Thanks for sharing more pics.

If you run into Mark Pells, can you ask him if he and CD Valerie will be onboard the Panama Canal transit on NA next month, please?  

I know for sure Mark is not sure about Valerie but will see what if U can find out.

• Thanks 1

I echo the others with what a lovely day it's been in Ketchikan. I could sit on the balcony and get a suntan! It's just gorgeous. 

We did a ship's excursion to Saxman Village. After close to 20 stops in Ketchikan it's something we haven't done. We had a very enjoyable morning. It included a video about the Tlingkit people, a visit to the clan house and a performance by the Cape Fox Dancers, guided tour of the totems, and a visit to the Totem Carving shed. Interesting and a lot of variety so the time just flew. 

Once back in town we visited the Tongass store #2 to get DH some fudge and then to Parnassus books for a purchase for our daughter-in-law for Christmas. We were back on-board by 1:30 for a quick bite in the Lido and are now relaxing. I'm even thinking of that dreaded word - packing. First I need to get out the last load for laundry and organize a few other things. 

KarenDancers.thumb.jpg.efaff63418648da9627154aa3d4c6942.jpg

Totem.thumb.jpg.f27feb57f82ff48800a93159732ef8af.jpg

TOtems.thumb.jpg.ba7f52521dfba3bfd9df6fcfe676ce14.jpg

• Like 19

We’ve had delicious food at the MDR in the evenings.  One night we enjoyed our free dinner at the Pinnacle.     I have to say we’ve had excellent service where ever we’ve eaten and we are anytime dining so we’ve had a lot of different waiters.   Our room stewards are also Martin and Yadi and these guys are fun to joke around with.   We get towel animals every night because when he came and introduced himself last Saturday he asked if we had any requirements and we asked “towel animals?”  He said no problem.   This cruise has been a great time after the past years Covid issues.   Do I like to wear a mask?  No.   But it is worth wearing them in order to enjoy the cruising again.     

• Like 13

Cruise Critic doesn’t like me. Tried 3 times Wednesday to post. 🙁

I’ll read everything later but just wanted to tell you about a wonderful lunch we had in Sitka. https://yuyositka.com/ It’s right across the street from St. Micheal’s Cathedral. Yulo’s is a tiny place (maybe 8 tables?) and serves pizza and Mexican food. We opted for Mexican. We just wanted a little snack so I got a quesadilla and my GF got a sincronizada, which is “like a quesadilla only better.” And they had sopapillas which I haven’t had in a long time. Everything was wonderful! Joel was our server and I think the owner. He is a “local” born in Nome. He also lived in Texas for a bit. They don’t serve alcohol but had Mexican Fanta and Coke. He might be serving wine and beer soon (I.e., next season). 

830BB671-0C4E-49BC-A34B-D0E2BE91D44A.jpeg

• Like 9

Today (Saturday): Took the HAL shuttle to the airport. Driver said it will be 45 min and he was prob right (I didn’t check the time). Security is a breeze if you have TSA PreCheck. 😉 I’m in the Alaska Air Lounge now having a little breakfast. 
So it took about 1 hour from departing the cruise port, arriving at SeaTac, going thought security, taking the “train” to N” gates, to sitting in the lounge. 

936203A6-5668-4F07-9FD2-24B63DCEAA48.jpeg

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Today (Saturday): Took the HAL shuttle to the airport. Driver said it will be 45 min and he was prob right (I didn’t check the time). Security is a breeze if you have TSA PreCheck. 😉 I’m in the Alaska Air Lounge now having a little breakfast. 
So it took about 1 hour from departing the cruise port, arriving at SeaTac, going thought security, taking the “train” to N” gates, to sitting in the lounge. 

936203A6-5668-4F07-9FD2-24B63DCEAA48.jpeg

How is the Alaska lounge?  Our flight in two weeks back from SEA doesn't leave until 5pm, so we're planning on sending our luggage on to the airport, going to brunch somewhere, then spending a few hours in the lounge pre-flight.  

Good morning From SeaTac. Wow the cruise is over ☹️ I would have liked to stay on another week but HAL was kicking us off. Fortunately 10 weeks from tomorrow we are boarding the NCL Bliss in San Pedro, although I suspect it could possibly be switched to the NCL Encore but it is just my guessing especially since Bliss is currently unroute from Barcelona to Gibraltar and she would need to come all the way to the West Coast empty and go through all the CDC requirements by mid October and I do not see that happening.

Like Dobiemom mentioned disembarkation was a breeze. We were at the airport before 8:30 and walked right through TSA recheck. Unfortunately we are flying  home Delta and while we are First Class we still can’t use the Delta lounge which is strange unless we are Business Class or Purple Delta card, our is the silver Platinum, I think we could use for a fee but we just was hoping we could also use the Alaska Lounge over at N gates to hang out with Dobiemom. We are B gates and boarding starts at 11:16. Oh well no big deal I got my Starbucks Pumpkin Latte 😂

The Ship internet was far worse than it was in July. Almost as though there were several blocks on using it. I can honestly say times that I used ship WiFi last time I could not this time. It was basically useless the whole cruise.  There were many times even Navigator app was shut down.

Once I am home I will try to write an overview of the cruise and some comparisons from the first. Overall there was nothing drastically different from the first sailing till now. 
I will post a few pictures including some from 5:30 this morning approaching Seattle.

8225D320-9E1B-4992-8584-09DE07DAB93A.jpeg

80643A51-C25A-4E1E-A88B-5A90CBCDC6CF.jpeg

598A6004-B1D5-4BE0-9152-5423BF44EADC.jpeg

898AE3AC-9117-433A-AF34-A463CA569086.jpeg

• Like 26

20 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I did want to mention that the Whales really showed off yesterday afternoon. There were at least 20 Humpbacks with babies on the starboard side of the ship. They had the whole Lido pool area excited 😆 

AD6ECA56-BC02-4345-8759-756D25D0A68A.jpeg

C62DD447-105E-40F6-9482-91664B676BDE.jpeg

My husband was out fishing yesterday in our boat off the Sunshine Coast and they put on a show for him too!  Luckily, he still caught a salmon. Lol 

• Like 6

Thank you for the great effort you all put forward on your LIVE reports.  I know all too well how frustrating it can be when internet or Cruise Critic doesn’t co-operate and you are trying to do them.

Every report was so appreciated and thank you @LAFFNVEGASfor starting the LIVE thread and sharing 🙂 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Unfortunately we are flying  home Delta and while we are First Class we still can’t use the Delta lounge which is strange unless we are Business Class or Purple Delta card, our is the silver Platinum, I think we could use for a fee 

Delta is my preferred airline and they seem to keep changing their Sky Lounge policies.  Once upon a time, domestic FC was able to use the Lounge (as I recall).  Then, one couldn't.  But, a day pass could be purchased.  Now, that is no longer an option.  

They are leaving "money on the table" for some of us guests who would choose to pay for a day pass.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheBiskit said:

How is the Alaska lounge?  Our flight in two weeks back from SEA doesn't leave until 5pm, so we're planning on sending our luggage on to the airport, going to brunch somewhere, then spending a few hours in the lounge pre-flight.  

It was very nice. Much nicer than sitting at the gate area. 
Since it was morning they had breakfast foods: yogurt, granola and other toppings, (pre-packaged) muffins, hard-boiled eggs, apples and bananas, Starbucks coffee and some pastries. Not sure what they have at lunch/dinner. There was also a bar.
Not all seats had outlets but it seemed the seats lining the perimeter did. 
I was at the lounge in the N terminal (above Gates N13-18).  There’s another one in the D terminal. 

FD336E19-F0AE-4EDC-AF01-AB43C7A0C0C5.jpeg

2FFF8D10-FBF0-4438-99F8-A58AA6E8CD2F.jpeg

46A091D0-516B-4794-9D1C-2DD4A09DFD6E.jpeg

FBD6D185-3964-4102-B3F1-666F5CBE9FF9.jpeg

854AD111-F5D4-40EB-994B-6C7FF86A96DC.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Delta is my preferred airline and they seem to keep changing their Sky Lounge policies.  Once upon a time, domestic FC was able to use the Lounge (as I recall).  Then, one couldn't.  But, a day pass could be purchased.  Now, that is no longer an option.  

They are leaving "money on the table" for some of us guests who would choose to pay for a day pass.  

Delta is also my preferred airline.  I use my Amex Platinum to access the SkyClub and no longer can take a guest without paying.  I plan to use the Centurion Lounge tomorrow at SeaTac and those are generally excellent.  We shall see.

On 9/8/2021 at 6:41 PM, SightCRR said:

Did the dog sled people get to go? Thanks. 

Yes, I did this in Juneau. Like @luvteaching I had OBC to use up. 😉 I had a great time. It was a bit of a ride out of town but not bad. We did have our backpacks checked at the end to make sure we weren’t hiding any puppies. J/K! 😄

46DAF050-76E3-44D8-BC18-FB755BD4D0B9.jpeg

D6CE0FC8-BBE6-45C3-A274-C3B0C6CEDF51.jpeg

B51E1F31-DFC8-4F50-AC40-57A038E1BF8C.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2021 at 6:04 PM, atexsix said:

We just crack the door, so perhaps they should put em into all bathrooms, otherwise they are encouraging the waste of power despite the new card system which we don't care for actually.

The light is too bright in the middle of the night. I bring motion sensor, rechargeable, night lights when I travel. Several different kinds are on Amazon. One or two for the cabin and one for the bathroom. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, dobiemom said:

It was very nice. Much nicer than sitting at the gate area. 
Since it was morning they had breakfast foods: yogurt, granola and other toppings, (pre-packaged) muffins, hard-boiled eggs, apples and bananas, Starbucks coffee and some pastries. Not sure what they have at lunch/dinner. There was also a bar.
Not all seats had outlets but it seemed the seats lining the perimeter did. 
I was at the lounge in the N terminal (above Gates N13-18).  There’s another one in the D terminal. 

FD336E19-F0AE-4EDC-AF01-AB43C7A0C0C5.jpeg

2FFF8D10-FBF0-4438-99F8-A58AA6E8CD2F.jpeg

46A091D0-516B-4794-9D1C-2DD4A09DFD6E.jpeg

FBD6D185-3964-4102-B3F1-666F5CBE9FF9.jpeg

854AD111-F5D4-40EB-994B-6C7FF86A96DC.jpeg

Hello! I happen to work for Alaska Airlines as a Concierge in our Lounges at SeaTac 🙂 In our N Lounge where you were, at 11am we switch over to "lunch" - offering soups, salad bar, veggies and dip, cookies and other grab and go snacks, then later afternoon/evening we have lite bites like make your own sandwich on a pretzel bun with a variety of meats and cheeses etc. And of course our famous pancake machine operates all day! Hope you enjoyed your visit!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5