Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

9 hours ago, The Lehmanns said:

I submitted an insurance claim for my BinaxNow test. The receipt has all the medical codes so I think there's a good chance you can get reimbursed. Even so, the industry hasn't had revenue for how long? I'm so desperate for a vacation I don't mind paying for my own test.

Interesting to see how and if it's covered.  Not all home tests are and you may have to use a medical spending account.  And people buying 6 packs for future use may, at best, have them classified as drugs and who knows what they'll pay, they aren't likely on existing formulary lists.

Aetna has some discussion through their website, comparing the results of a Binax-type test (they used the brand name as an example of a rapid test), it only produced about half as may positive results as a real-time PCR test for influenza from the same samples, I doubt they have a covid study yet.

This threw a wrench into my NYE21 plans. We are flying out 2 days before to NJ area. Very unfamiliar with area and will not have a car to get around looking for testing places. 

Luckily i purchased the 6 pack of binaxNOW thru eMED for my cruise at end of this month. I will have 4 left over which I can use from the comfort of our hotel room and not have to stress out.

So glad RCCL is not only allowing this as proof, but as of SEPT 8th will be selling them via RCCL / OPTUM RX online store! 

Just a reminder NAVICA is an ABBOTT labs product.

eMED website just relinks you to their NAVICA portal for the exam.

The wording on the FAQ for RCCL wants you to purchase via OPTUM RX online store, than proceed to eMED site for testing which will to take you to ABBOTT NAVICA login portal.

They should have just linked the NAVICA portal @ https://www.mynavica.abbott/   and left out the part about eMED is they are not using them as their seller. Might start to confuse some people.

Edited by alexgtp

I ordered a 2 pack this morning from Optum.  They can be used by 2 individuals, I confirmed this by calling directly.   They  have already been shipped.  

I might go ahead and try one ahead of my Oct cruise to Alleviate concerns and the process, then re order.   

Seems straight forward enough.. 

This video really helped too.

https://youtu.be/gdewvrKGPwM

Thank  you fellow cruisers 

Edited by SConnolly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Presbycruiser67 said:

I am booked on a cruise with my daughter who will be 11 by then (Jan 2022).  I am not a happy man right now.  I've sent an inquiry to my TA about having my deposit refunded.

17 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

As someone who just sailed with two grandkids 9 and 3, this change is a big complication.

20 hours ago, molly361 said:

It sounds like they're trying to discourage the under 12 children from Sailing

It appears that RCI amended their policy "again"  Kids will get complimentary rapid PCR tests.  I don't remember seeing this yesterday:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

1 hour ago, FishLips23 said:

I'm a med tech too! Nice to see another one of us "in the wild". 

Its one of the medical field "orphan" profession.  We work behind the scenes.  Now we run into a lot of nurses, respiratory, physical therapists (my wife is a retired nurse)on our travels.  But i wouldn't trade one minute of my career.  Its one of the few professions that you have to be 100 per cent correct.  Be open to work holidays, week ends because some poor soul needs those results to get on with their life.  While I don't know you I do know that you are hardworking, compassionate, and conscientious. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

It appears that RCI amended their policy "again"  Kids will get complimentary rapid PCR tests.  I don't remember seeing this yesterday:

This is the same wording as yesterday.  The complimentary testing for 2 - 11 year old children is in addition to the required pre-cruise testing PCR test 3 or fewer days before the cruise.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

This sounds like kids still need to be tested within 3 days and then have the additional test(s) at the terminal and/or on board.

Kids Age 2-11: Additional Complimentary Testing

In addition to the pre-cruise test, kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.

• On boarding day, kids will take a complimentary rapid PCR test during check-in at the terminal. We’ll send registration details via email before departure.
  • For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Ok

Alot of reading. And great comments 

But. Clarify for me. 

Is the 15 min rapid test provided by CVS still accepted.  

ty. 

19 hours ago, Lou33 said:

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'd like a confirmation too from someone I trust. 

Tia

YES It is, both daughters used it last month for our Adventure cruise

• Like 1

20 hours ago, royalnewbie said:

Seems like it is taken care of and you will not lose any money....through Dec 31, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 6.30.48 PM.png

No you missed my point, Not talking about testing positive I am talking about a cancelled test within the 48 hour window while the request for an FCC is prior to the 48 hour window.  folks are still using CVS or Walgreens or Urgent care.

If I sail on Friday and have to now test on Wed but the rules say request for FCC on Tues for any reason no longer works.  Requesting an FCC on Wed due to testing positive is only reason then.  The defined ANY reason ended at 11:59pm on TUES.  

RCI moved the testing up on day but left the window for requesting FCC alone.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

This sounds like kids still need to be tested within 3 days and then have the additional test(s) at the terminal and/or on board.

Kids Age 2-11: Additional Complimentary Testing

In addition to the pre-cruise test, kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.

• On boarding day, kids will take a complimentary rapid PCR test during check-in at the terminal. We’ll send registration details via email before departure.
  • For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

The testing requirements are confusing for everybody, and they keep changing.  The way that this is worded, you could take this as meaning that they still need to be tested within 3 days.  But that wouldn't make sense?  Why would RCI require kids to be tested within 3 days before they arrive when they are just going to test them before boarding anyway?  The rapid PCR test at check-in would be the most definitive and accurate test, so why would they need anything else?

11 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

The testing requirements are confusing for everybody, and they keep changing.  The way that this is worded, you could take this as meaning that they still need to be tested within 3 days.  But that wouldn't make sense?  Why would RCI require kids to be tested within 3 days before they arrive when they are just going to test them before boarding anyway?  The rapid PCR test at check-in would be the most definitive and accurate test, so why would they need anything else?

Because since they added the testing requirements at the beginning of August kids had to test pre cruise and at embarkation 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

No you missed my point, Not talking about testing positive I am talking about a cancelled test within the 48 hour window while the request for an FCC is prior to the 48 hour window.  folks are still using CVS or Walgreens or Urgent care.

If I sail on Friday and have to now test on Wed but the rules say request for FCC on Tues for any reason no longer works.  Requesting an FCC on Wed due to testing positive is only reason then.  The defined ANY reason ended at 11:59pm on TUES.  

RCI moved the testing up on day but left the window for requesting FCC 

Again I believe this is why Royal is going to start selling the proctored test kits themselves to alievate this issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

But the complication I was referring to remains: 

Age 2-11 ——- negative test, no earlier than 3 days prior, PCR only

Vaccinated 12+ —- negative test, no earlier than 2 days prior, PCR or Antigen

Thankfully for us the grandkids do not sail again until August 2022. 

mac_tlc  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

RCI moved the testing up on day but left the window for requesting FCC alone.

Then order the proctored at home test and take the worry, consternation, and guess work out of the process.  The tools have been placed in all of our hands to make this a VERY simple process, yet some continue to look at it as an insurmountable obstacle. Personal responsibility and control of the situation are a wonderful thing.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I would definitely have it go to a friend or relatives house. Could they be shipped to where you will be?

Thanks, that’s the new plan. Got confirmation back that it will be shipped to me in Arizona on Tuesday!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

But the complication I was referring to remains: 

Age 2-11 ——- negative test, no earlier than 3 days prior, PCR only

Vaccinated 12+ —- negative test, no earlier than 2 days prior, PCR or Antigen

Thankfully for us the grandkids do not sail again until August 2022. 

mac_tlc  

Age 2-11 will be PCR tested again at the pier paid for by Royal. If they test positive they can’t sail. Remember that age group is unvaccinated and it’s for everyone protection. 

Edited by tomjohnsonjr

21 hours ago, orville99 said:

If you have more than one cruise scheduled, the six pack may be your best option. With tax, it comes out to $27.91/test. Even if you only use some of the kits, you will have some peace of mind that you are not dependent on RCL's 2-day shipping statement.

Agree, the peace of mind is worth it!  We are doing a b2b, so having the extra tests could be useful if some new rules suddenly come up during our cruise. 

20 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Why would RCI require kids to be tested within 3 days before they arrive when they are just going to test them before boarding anyway?  The rapid PCR test at check-in would be the most definitive and accurate test, so why would they need anything else?

These are not from RCL, but rather the requirements (technically recommendations for Florida departures due to ruling on lawsuit) from the CDC August 27 update that is to become effective on September 13.

My take on this is that the pre-cruise testing is an attempt to prevent an infected person from traveling to the port and possibly infecting others during travel or at the port. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

These are not from RCL, but rather the requirements (technically recommendations for Florida departures due to ruling on lawsuit) from the CDC August 27 update that is to become effective on September 13.

My take on this is that the pre-cruise testing is an attempt to prevent an infected person from traveling to the port and possibly infecting others during travel or at the port. 

So there is a requirement from the CDC that kids must be tested twice before boarding?  I tried searching on cdc.gov but I can't find that.  Do you have a link?  Thanks.