Silversea made a mistake on our Final payment date

goletans

We would appreciate your input on this question. The Confirmation for our February, 2023 cruise shows the 10% Early Booking Bonus and a Final Payment Date as October 29, 2022. Yesterday our TA told us that a man she spoke to at SS said that the invoice is wrong. Final Payment for 10% off is Oct. 1,2021. Doesn't SS need to adhere to the payment schedule provided on our Confirmation document?

If Silversea made a mistake on the confirmation, I imagine they will make good.  Was this an official SS confirmation?  Or one from your TA?

But something does not compute here.  The Early Booking Bonus has routinely required full payment within months of the booking.  It would be extraordinary for an EBB to be granted for a payment made more than a year out.  I would have thought that your TA knew this.  

You say that your TA simply reported what SS told her.  Did she not resist?  "A man she spoke to at SS" sounds very vague.  I trust your TA has the name of that man.

SS invoices/confirmations are computer generated and are not likely to have included computational errors.

I will be interested to hear more.

For a cruise 2-23, the 10% EBB would never only be only 4 months prior in 10-22. That in itself doesn't make sense. A date of 10-21 for the EBB would make sense and be what normally happens with SS. As mentioned above, something does not compute. If I had to guess, the TA did it with a knife in the Library!!

• Like 1

Yes, an official SS Confirmation. 

No, my TA did not question the man. I don't know if she got his name. I would have made sure to get it. 

We booked a SS cruise for next summer with a 20% bonus and that one does have a final payment due soon. 

We all, including our TA, assumed the Confirmation document was as SS intended.

A side note: a third booking had the deposit due date shown as the date we did a grab it to consider for a few days. That offer expired overnight and SS said that was odd but they stood by it.

Thanks for the memories! I know Rhoda used the phrase, but have a smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBAijg5Betw

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

We have a bonus discount due a few days ago, however because of the computer problem final payment was delayed.  TA send a e-mail to us about the change.

Our due date for one cruise to get the EBB was 8/21 - then it went to 9/5 - then 9/10. Now our TA says it is 9/20. The SS website shows it could be 9/30. Who should we believe?

18 hours ago, goletans said:

Our due date for one cruise to get the EBB was 8/21 - then it went to 9/5 - then 9/10. Now our TA says it is 9/20. The SS website shows it could be 9/30. Who should we believe?

When you see it on your credit card😊

18 hours ago, goletans said:

TA now says it is 9/30 for the 20% EBB cruise. No further word on the 10% EBB cruise. We never allow any cruise line to make a final payment to a card on file. We pay when due.

6 hours ago, goletans said:

We never allow any cruise line to make a final payment to a card on file. 

I am fairly certain that SS does not retain credit card numbers on file or from one transaction to the next.  I deal directly with a SS consultant, and s/he requires that I give her the full credit card info for each transaction, even if they were only a couple of days apart.

6 hours ago, Observer said:

I am fairly certain that SS does not retain credit card numbers on file or from one transaction to the next.  I deal directly with a SS consultant, and s/he requires that I give her the full credit card info for each transaction, even if they were only a couple of days apart.

My last refund was made to the credit card that was used for the booking and I didn’t have to provide the card number again.

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

My last refund was made to the credit card that was used for the booking and I didn’t have to provide the card number again.

I stand corrected/amended. This has been my experience as well with refunds from Silversea and other vendors.  I often do not remember what credit card I used for which cruise, but the accounting system apparently remembers all.  On at least one occasion, the refund went to a credit card that I had not renewed and  had allowed to expire.  This was clearly not the first time such a situation had occurred with the credit card company, and my refund was promptly returned by the company.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

That doesn't mean they have your credit card number; in fact, they probably don't. Credit card payment systems let the business see transactions, but not card numbers; they can click on a transaction and refund it in whole or part without having the number, as only the credit card processor has the actual number.

Travel agents may use online systems which keep credit card numbers in a secure vault system; it can show them the last four digits of a card, so they can ask you "do you want me to charge the card ending 1234?" without having the actual card number. The PCI (Payment Card Industry) requirements for any company to securely retain credit cards are so strict and expensive to operate that only very large companies do it; others rely on third-party processing companies and do not have direct access to credit cards numbers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

When you see it on your credit card😊

This is the message I referred to in my response that "We never allow any cruise line to make a final payment to a card on file. We pay when due."

Our TA told us that SS and other cruise lines have an option in place that will allow them to take a final payment when due to the card used for the deposit. They may not have direct access to credit cards numbers, but they can access the account. Our TA knows to never select that option so we can make any changes we decide upon. Sometimes we earn more points or cash back with a different credit card.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after two weeks of trying to contact SS, our TA finally got through to someone. The Confirmation for our February, 2023 cruise showing the 10% Early Booking Bonus with a Final Payment Date as October 29, 2022 was a glitch in their system. However, they are going to honor our confirmation & hopefully correct it within their system for the future. YAY! We get the bonus and final payment will be 120 days  before sailing.

Whew.....

• Like 1