Is it rough sailing from LA to Hawaii?

Nitrodog

We are considering a 14 day cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii. The fist 4 days and last 4 days are at sea. As this is open ocean, could those of you who have sailed this itinerary advise me as to what your experience was sailing to and from Hawaii.

and the seas were surprisingly calm. The only time we had a bit of rockin' and rollin' was the first day out of LA. After that, it was fine. On the return trip, the water was almost without swells. I had anticipated rougher seas, and was pleasantly surprised.

We are considering a 14 day cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii. The fist 4 days and last 4 days are at sea. As this is open ocean, could those of you who have sailed this itinerary advise me as to what your experience was sailing to and from Hawaii.

Hello Nitrodog, as some of the above posts describe.....it can be very calm......but it also can be very rough as well.

We did cruise from Ensenada (close enough to LA for this cruising experience) to Hawaii back in Dec 0f 2003 and on the very first morning of the cruise there were about 30 people (including 'us' ) waiting in the medical facility to get shots for sea sickness and many many more all over the ship being sea sick.......the sea was pretty rough, it was very windy, sort of cold and very few people outside on the upper decks. Second day was a little better, third day pretty nice weather and a lot calmer sea, forth day just about perfect.

So it can be very calm......or very rough (look through some of the older posts in Celebrity section - I remember reading some of the posts describing rough seas and 'rocky' sailings).

Probably it will depend more on your 'luck' than anything else......hard to predict the weather........yesterday in Mich we had 58 deg F and this morning it was very windy and about 22 deg F.

Wes

We sailed to Hawaii aboard Legend of the Seas in Sept 1997, and while we had some rolling waves, I never felt the ship was being tossed about. Nor did I see any folks tossing their cookies. We have sailed to the Mexican Riviera on Carnival Esctasy and Elation, Star and Diamond Princess, and Radisson Seven Seas Mariner. Although there was a day or two here and there that was choppy (mostly windy), it was not like what you see in the movies. Worst cruise ever for me (sans wife: it was a business trip) was on Renaissance IV, headed from Portofino to Rome. Although it was clear, it was very windy and this (approx) 400-foot ship didn't take all that well to the conditions. Not a lot of people at dinner that night (including me), although I did tough it out without medication (does ginger ale count?).

Our seas were relatively calm, the first day being a little "choppy" but not really what I would call rough. We also had an aft corner cabin and did feel motion more than those in the center of the ship. (I did a little test to find out). The first day out of LA, it was a little cool to be out on deck on our veranda. The next day, in the afternoon, the sun was shining and we bagan to feel warmth. So, I would say, that on our cruise, by the second afternoon, we were in sunny weather.

Just to be sure, re seasickness, we took bonnine the night before sailing and then also the next night. After that, we did not have to be concerned.

We had calm waters for the rest of the trip.

I was VERY worried about this before our LA-Hawaii-LA cruise last April. I kept hearing horror stories.........not from people that had sailed on that cruise, but from people who knew someone who had been on that kind of cruise. We couldn't convince any of our friends to try it.

It was the BEST cruise we've ever been on. We had some "rockin and rollin" the first day and a half, but it wasn't bad, and compared to our first night of our first cruise in the Caribbean, where we got THROWN out of bed, it wasn't bad at all. I think we had one evening, and the next morning, out of Honolulu, that was also a bit rough, but that was it. Everything else was very comfortable. I didn't see anyone sick, and I didn't hear of anyone being sick. I, personally, wherever I sail, use the patch, but DH doesn't use anything and he was fine. The roughest weather we had on that Hawaii cruise was one evening, headed back to L.A., when they closed the pool because the water was sloshing out. We were in the Horizon Court, on a high deck, and all the way forward, and it was okay up there. The next day, by noon, it was like glass again................

Archived