Red List Risks for UK Residents

BigDinners

Apologies if this has been nailed elsewhere but if it has I haven’t found it.  I’m on the cusp of booking Marina on 26 October and have a hold in place.  Before I confirm and pay I thought I’d make sure I understand Oceania’s interpretation of what Red List means for UK Residents.  At present Montenegro is on the itinerary and as of last week it’s on the Red List.  I accept that they are likely to avoid Red List ports where they can but my question relates to any situation where they decide they can’t - e.g if Spain goes Red.  Will they automatically refund?  Will they take the view that it’s Government guidance and up to me to decide whether I want to quarantine in a Government hotel?

Interestingly no one in Southampton has been able to help but a very helpful lady this morning clearly understood the question.  My query has been sent to Miami and I’d be happy to share what I get back.  I thought I’d share because I can’t be the only person that would appreciate as much clarity as possible here!

Red List from UK Government.  I’ve now had a helpful response from Miami……

“Global travel requirements are quickly evolving and vary by country of departure. We understand the UK Government is next due to review the red country list on Thursday 16th September

Communication will be sent to all booked guests in the 30 days prior to setting sail, to share the latest requirements for each departure port and if any changes are to be made to the itinerary.

If a government travel ban remains in place for Monte Negro, you will be able to cancel your voyage and receive either a Future Cruise Credit or refund.”

This may be obvious but it’s helpful to see that they interpret Red as a ‘Travel Ban’ and that they will deal with such eventualities in the way they set out - refund or credit.  I sympathise with the scale of their challenge but clarity like this helps me to support them and have loads of enjoyment in doing so coupled with some protection.

hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BigDinners said:

“Global travel requirements are quickly evolving and vary by country of departure. We understand the UK Government is next due to review the red country list on Thursday 16th September

Communication will be sent to all booked guests in the 30 days prior to setting sail, to share the latest requirements for each departure port and if any changes are to be made to the itinerary.

If a government travel ban remains in place for Monte Negro, you will be able to cancel your voyage and receive either a Future Cruise Credit or refund.”

This may be obvious but it’s helpful to see that they interpret Red as a ‘Travel Ban’ and that they will deal with such eventualities in the way they set out - refund or credit.  I sympathise with the scale of their challenge but clarity like this helps me to support them and have loads of enjoyment in doing so coupled with some protection.

hope this helps.

FWIW: It is my understanding that Oceania is currently issuing no new FCCs. Adjustments and refunds are money only (unless you originally used an FCC for payment in which case it is redeposited to your O Club account - though with no “cruise by” deadline beyond 12/31/22).

Further, read the T&Cs plus ticket contract. O reserves the right to change ports for any reason related to the safety/security of passengers and crew (without any compensation).

4 hours ago, BigDinners said:

hope this helps.

That is useful - especially I expect for those from the US who are now not allowed to travel to Sweden….

The landscape(seascape?) changes very quickly. Looks like Oceania are being very fair about this. 

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

O reserves the right to change ports for any reason related to the safety/security of passengers and crew (without any compensation).

So in that case you're just SOL if there's a port that's a must-do for you?

28 minutes ago, clo said:

So in that case you're just SOL if there's a port that's a must-do for you?

If there is must-do port/city/country than you should not be on a cruise....weather, tides, dock strikes, etc. all can cause a port to be missed.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1