Sailing with oxygen

bandgbasset

Anyone sailing with Oceania that requires oxygen.  Some lines are allowing it.  We had a princess cruise booked for Christmas and had to cancel it.  Oceania is my favorite cruise line and we have a long cruise departing in March.  Sure hope I don’t have to cancel.

thank you for your help.

My husband had needed oxygen while sleeping at night for several years.  He bought a small portable oxygen concentrator that he puts into a 21-22” carry-on (it fits in there along with all his other toiletries) so you get the idea of the small size.  It weighs about 10 pounds and is made by Res-Med.  It is wonderful and has allowed us to keep traveling and cruising to wherever we want.  Oceania, the airlines, and TSA have absolutely no problem with it and we don’t have to bother with oxygen tanks or worry about it running out.  Btw, it produces up to 2 liters so it depends what your needs are.  

I think you definitely need to speak to Oceania rather than go by what’s said on this forum. UK lines are currently prohibiting oxygen concentrators and pretty much anything like that apart from CPAPs. 

9 hours ago, ToxM said:

I think you definitely need to speak to Oceania rather than go by what’s said on this forum. UK lines are currently prohibiting oxygen concentrators and pretty much anything like that apart from CPAPs. 

But this is Oceania we’re talking about on this forum, not UK lines.  I agree that he should contact Oceania’s Special Services Dept. but I was just relating my husband’s experience with oxygen.  We are scheduled to depart on the Riviera next month and have not been told any differently!

I can’t understand why the British lines would have problems with oxygen concentrators especially small portable ones but that’s just my opinion. 

To clarify my previous post—-when I say “my husband’s experience with oxygen”, I am specifically talking about oxygen concentrators, not oxygen tanks or bottles which could be dangerous. These concentrators pose absolutely no danger to anyone! It is simply a piece of medical equipment and would be allowed on board (as would wheelchairs, scooters, or walkers!) and have been accepted by Oceania for years.  

From the Oceania website', bolding mine. 

I HAVE AN EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION. WHAT DO I DO?

Updated July 2, 2018

Guests with any medical condition(s) or special needs that may require treatment or attention or accommodation during the voyage, or needing to travel with medical apparatus, including wheelchairs, motorized scooters, oxygen therapy, etc., must advise Oceania Cruises in writing at the time of deposit. Please note some ports of call may not be suitable for guests with limited mobility and in such cases, may disallow debarkation with a wheelchair or motorized scooter or for any individual with limited mobility. Oceania Cruises is unable to accommodate women past their sixth month of pregnancy. Oceania Cruises has the right to refuse or revoke passage to anyone who, in its judgment, is in a physical, mental or emotional condition unfit for travel or whose comfort on board may be compromised due to situations beyond the care that can be provided by Oceania Cruises. Oceania Cruises will under appropriate circumstances permit its guests to use special equipment such as those noted above, which satisfy the criteria stated in the Oceania Cruises' Policy Statement.

15 hours ago, mountain grandma said:

But this is Oceania we’re talking about on this forum, not UK lines.  I agree that he should contact Oceania’s Special Services Dept. but I was just relating my husband’s experience with oxygen.  We are scheduled to depart on the Riviera next month and have not been told any differently!

I can’t understand why the British lines would have problems with oxygen concentrators especially small portable ones but that’s just my opinion. 

This is a post covid decision. 

15 hours ago, mountain grandma said:

I can’t understand why the British lines would have problems with oxygen concentrators

Its actually a Carnival Corp policy (which includes Cunard and P&O so perhaps that is the British reference). 

An article here on the issue:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-ban-oxygen-dialysis/

The article does not say that this is the policy for Norwegian/Oceania but I am sure they will confirm one way or the other when you speak to them directly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beagle5 said:

Its actually a Carnival Corp policy (which includes Cunard and P&O so perhaps that is the British reference). 

An article here on the issue:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-ban-oxygen-dialysis/

The article does not say that this is the policy for Norwegian/Oceania but I am sure they will confirm one way or the other when you speak to them directly.

Correct, I don’t think of Cunard/PO being part of carnival.