Trip Insurance and 3rd Party Excursion

CountryCruiser

Does anybody have a suggestion on covering the non-refundable portion of a 3rd party excursion (day sail)?  I haven’t figured out if insurance will cover it it the ship doesn’t sail, if the ship decides not to port or if things happen to keep us from getting off the ship in the port. I have the premium Princess insurance. But I’m almost positive it won’t cover it. 

17 minutes ago, CountryCruiser said:

Does anybody have a suggestion on covering the non-refundable portion of a 3rd party excursion (day sail)?  I haven’t figured out if insurance will cover it it the ship doesn’t sail, if the ship decides not to port or if things happen to keep us from getting off the ship in the port. I have the premium Princess insurance. But I’m almost positive it won’t cover it. 

Read the insurance document. Start at https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

and follow the appropriate link towards the bottom of the page. In the linked page you will find a selector for state of residence as the coverage varies depending on the state.

Princess insurance covers the usual items in a comprehensive policy - medical, evacuation, cancellation, travel interruption, etc. There are no provisions for items you book outside of Princess like independent excursions.

If you purchase third-party insurance, you can cover all non-refundable expenses. Air fare is a bit tricky, however, because the airlines will offer a voucher if you cancel. In that case, the insurance company considers that you have been reimbursed.

Edited by Babr

9 hours ago, CountryCruiser said:

When booking a 3rd party excursion I always ask before paying any deposit or other payment if the money paid is refundable if the ship does not make port. If the answer is "no," then I do not book the excursion.

• Like 1

Private sail excursions we have booked in the past had a refund provision if the ship did not call at the port.  We would not book if it did not have that provision. If the ship called at the port and we were not able to disembark, no matter what the reason, no refund. 

8 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

If the ship doesn't sail, especially a last minute cancellation, P will probably refund the $$s. I have not read all of the cancellation letters recently to see if this provision is still covered.

Not sure what $$s you are referencing, but the question at hand is refunds for private excursions. Princess has no provisions for refunding anything not booked through them.

My insurance includes trip interruption but for sickness and such which does cover 3rd party excursions.
I read through the terms but couldn’t find anything pertaining to excursion refunds for  the ship not docking.