Making a reservation for Anytime Dining

NCTribeFan

I made final payment last night on my December 11 NA sailing.  My first two confirmations (when I initially booked and when I made an additional payment to get OBC) both showed "Open Seating."  When I received my updated confirmation last night, it shows "Confirmed Main."

I'm solo for the first 7 days and want Open seating.  I have friends joining for the 5 night segment, and they prefer late seating.  My plan was to talk to the maitre'd during my leg of the journey and request that I be added to their late dining.

I just logged in to see if there was a way to change my dining preference back to Open but cannot see any way to do that (you can do that yourself online on Carnival so no need to have a PVP or TA waste a long-hold-time call to get it switched).  I do see the option to book Complimentary Dining on any date for the 12 nights, at 30 minute intervals starting at 5 pm until 9:30 pm.

I'm just wondering if I should book myself something for the first 7 nights.  Then, when I board, I'll see what my card says for my dining.  If it still shows Main seating, I'll head to the MDR with a copy of my original booking and "reservations" for Open seating and see what happens.

Or should I just skip trying to reserve a spot and see what happens when I board.  I'm actually not much of a fan of Open seating, but prefer it when I'm sailing solo, just because I like the flexibility.

It’s no trouble to switch from fixed to Open Dining on board.  You can make one switch so if you prefer Open just tell the MDR and they will accommodate.  There is often a spot open to arrange dining changes on embarkation day.

Just wanted to offer my experience on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. I'm not saying this is everyone's experience, just ours! 

My party (4ppl, 2 cabins) started out our reservations with early Fixed Dining but realized we'd be off ship or specialty dining for the majority of the cruise, so we asked our travel agent to "give up" our fixed seating and move us to Open seating. Several weeks before the cruise, I was really happy to see (online) that I could book our MDR seating for 6pm on the 2 nights we wanted, so I did that! Got a confirmation number and printout.

Fast forward to the cruise. Our reservations for the 2 MDR nights that I'd made online weeks before the cruise were nowhere to be found. I got no sympathy on the phone with Guest Services onboard the ship, either, and couldn't rebook anything for either night. So we just did "walk up" and were prepared to argue..............and it ended up NOT being a problem. There was plenty of room and both nights, there was NO line and we were seated immediately. Still, something to keep in mind, especially if the ship is sailing to capacity (ours was not at capacity).

As a result of our experience, I find myself unimpressed with the ability to book MDR online pre-cruise! 😃 We will likely try it again in the future but we might remain a bit skeptical until it works!

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  I was just surprised when I looked at the confirmation last night and saw that it had changed from Open to Main.  I've been under the impression that Main was the most popular on most of HAL's sailings so one would think it would fill up more quickly.

I think I'll just wait and see what happens when I board.

Wait.  No early fixed seating?  That's odd.  Wonder if that's because they're at reduced capacity (which I hope will be the case for my November Eurodam and this December NA sailings). 

What time has fixed been on the Alaska sailings?  Early is usually too early for me, so I always ask for late when I'm sailing with friends.

1 hour ago, highscar said:

We have always had late fixed dining (8pm) for my next cruise I asked if I could have earlier fixed and was told by the HAL rep there was no earlier fixed dining.  If there is please let me know.  Thank you in advance. 

No  early fixed dining  ?  There always has been but I have only sailed B.C. (Before Covid).  There might be a change because of reduced capacity but that seems a bit strange.  I WAS going to be on a cruise in October and I know that both Main (late) and the early were offered.

Did you book through a TA or a PCC?  If you did, ask them to change you.  If you booked with HAL directly I would retry.  I have found that you don’t always get the right answer on the first call 😉 

edited to say - you could also ask on Lisa’s (LAFFNVEGAS) live thread.  She is on board the N Amsterdam right now.

1 hour ago, CruiseMGM said:

Just wanted to offer my experience on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. I'm not saying this is everyone's experience, just ours! 

My party (4ppl, 2 cabins) started out our reservations with early Fixed Dining but realized we'd be off ship or specialty dining for the majority of the cruise, so we asked our travel agent to "give up" our fixed seating and move us to Open seating. Several weeks before the cruise, I was really happy to see (online) that I could book our MDR seating for 6pm on the 2 nights we wanted, so I did that! Got a confirmation number and printout.

Fast forward to the cruise. Our reservations for the 2 MDR nights that I'd made online weeks before the cruise were nowhere to be found. I got no sympathy on the phone with Guest Services onboard the ship, either, and couldn't rebook anything for either night. So we just did "walk up" and were prepared to argue..............and it ended up NOT being a problem. There was plenty of room and both nights, there was NO line and we were seated immediately. Still, something to keep in mind, especially if the ship is sailing to capacity (ours was not at capacity).

As a result of our experience, I find myself unimpressed with the ability to book MDR online pre-cruise! 😃 We will likely try it again in the future but we might remain a bit skeptical until it works!

Our promotional Canaletto disappeared onboard. Thankfully the Neptune Lounge concierge got it sorted out for us. If it weren’t for him I would probably still be trying to get it straightened out. Guest services/front desk is generally the least helpful department onboard which I don’t understand because pretty much every other department is outstanding from a service perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was speaking with my PCC earlier today about a new booking for Feb 2023.  I told her I would like to opt for open seating.   I also have b2b cruises starting 05 Dec and 15 Dec.   On the first booking it indicated Confirmed Main, Request for Table for 8, so I asked for it to be changed to open seating.   Not a problem.  But the 2nd cruise indicated Confirmed Main so she said it was the same as open seating.   When I later received the confirmation of the new booking for Feb. 2023, and it reads Open Seating.   At this point I have absolutely no idea when I will be eating.   I am solo so I guess it does not matter.

• Like 1

I booked this with through my TA.  She's a top seller for Carnival but I'm her only client (so far) that also sails HAL.  She spends so much time on hold with Carnival having to change/rebook clients (she was on one call today for over 5 hours and didn't get resolution for a problem), so I don't want to ask her to call HAL.

I'll just wait and see.

I do want to book my specialty dining. but I need to check with my friends who are on the 5-night segment.  I think they only got 1 dinner (I have 3), so I need to find out which they want to book.

I'd like to do Sel de Mer, Pinnacle and Tamarind.  Not sure if Sel de Mer is included in the specialty dining.  If not, seems like a good time to use some of my OBC.

Last 2 cruises we were on (Pre-COVID) there was a dining representative down by the Front Desk during embarkation handling dining changes and the like. We do like to dine as early as possible. We usually reserve Open Dining, and then modify/change depending on the various current whims of DW. And it is not set in stone - you can (usually) change whenever you want - assuming not all filled up.

Since I'm hoping the ship won't be at full capacity, that would lead me to think that it shouldn't be difficult to change once I board and even make the change to late dining to be seated with my friends who board for just the 5-night portion.

On Carnival, you need to check the daily as soon as you board since you need to go to the MDR for changes, and that option is only available for a couple of hours.  Of course, many people just go when the MDR opens the first night and ask to get it changed then.  I'd prefer to get it taken care of when they aren't so busy.  They have enough to deal with once the mobs start the stampede to the food! 😁

5 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Since I'm hoping the ship won't be at full capacity, that would lead me to think that it shouldn't be difficult to change once I board and even make the change to late dining to be seated with my friends who board for just the 5-night portion.

On HAL, the table assignments for the next cruise will be made during your first cruise. All you need to do is speak with the Maître d' during that cruise to have your reservations combined. 
If you wait longer, the larger tables may be assigned already. You don't have to do it right away during the first cruise, as the Maître d' will be busy making adjustments for that cruise. 

Whenever I have stayed on for another cruise, I have always been approached to determine my table preferences for the next cruise. That would be the ideal time to discuss your changes. 

16 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Whenever I have stayed on for another cruise, I have always been approached to determine my table preferences for the next cruise. That would be the ideal time to discuss your changes. 

That’s been my experience as well Ruth.  It’s usually close to the last night IIRC when he/she (I’ve only had he’s) checks to make sure you want the same arrangement for the next cruise or if you prefer something different.