8/27/2022 sailing

n2qmt

Hello everyone. I'm here for a little education. I'm planning my 25th wedding anniversary celebration for August, 2022 on the 8/27 sailing. I've been looking through the forum and doing so has made me more and more uneasy to book with PG. So I've gathered that the ship, service and destinations are all amazing. The parent company leaves much to be desired. Covid is a wildcard (Are we really going to still be dealing with it a year from now?) If I'm going to spent upwards of $15,000 on a trip, I want everything to be pretty much perfect! Flight schedules will be released for that time period soon and I'll be trying to pin down details ASAP

So... Should I do it? If not, how long should I wait? (I don't want to get shut out) What are the best cabins to book? What are "can't miss" excursions in the Cook and Society Islands? Looking forward to reading responses! Cheers!

John

1 hour ago, n2qmt said:

Hello everyone. I'm here for a little education. I'm planning my 25th wedding anniversary celebration for August, 2022 on the 8/27 sailing. I've been looking through the forum and doing so has made me more and more uneasy to book with PG. So I've gathered that the ship, service and destinations are all amazing. The parent company leaves much to be desired. Covid is a wildcard (Are we really going to still be dealing with it a year from now?) If I'm going to spent upwards of $15,000 on a trip, I want everything to be pretty much perfect! Flight schedules will be released for that time period soon and I'll be trying to pin down details ASAP

So... Should I do it? If not, how long should I wait? (I don't want to get shut out) What are the best cabins to book? What are "can't miss" excursions in the Cook and Society Islands? Looking forward to reading responses! Cheers!

John

Covid will likely not be an issue in 2022

Mid ships is always a bit less rocky  ....

Think lagoon on Aitutaki and land/Muri Beach on Rarotonga

Bora Bora think lagoon  ... Moorea think land based such as ATV tour

Huahine is superb for cultural stuff.

On Tahaa/Motu Mahana do the drift snorkel

25 trips to FP  ...  6 times to the Cook's  ... rear admiral on the PG 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisingsfun said:

We love the Paul Gauguin. We will be on our 4th cruise with them in January. On our last trip, we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. We did their wedding vow renewal package. It was amazing.

Was definitely considering the wedding vow renewal as our actual anniversary will be on the ship! 

13 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Covid will likely not be an issue in 2022

God I hope not!!

Mid ships is always a bit less rocky  ....

Is there a big difference between a balcony class and Verandah?

Think lagoon on Aitutaki and land/Muri Beach on Rarotonga

Bora Bora think lagoon  ... Moorea think land based such as ATV tour

Huahine is superb for cultural stuff.

On Tahaa/Motu Mahana do the drift snorkel

All wonderful ideas. Any can't miss hiking places? 

13 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

25 trips to FP  ...  6 times to the Cook's  ... rear admiral on the PG 😉

37 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Look at the window cabins on deck 6, midship.  A big saving over a balcony, and the difference in size is miniscule.  Most of your time won't be spent in your cabin, trust me.

I'm jealous, btw.  

There are no window cabins on deck 6  .... I think you meant to say deck 4

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisingsfun said:

We love the Paul Gauguin. We will be on our 4th cruise with them in January. On our last trip, we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. We did their wedding vow renewal package. It was amazing.

And you had the best photographer for an amazing ceremony😘

• Like 1

Sometimes there is a good photographer on-board who can snap a few romantic photos  ...

I'm on the December 4, 2021 cruise, March 5, 2022 cruise and the July 6, 2022 cruise, working on a 3rd cruise in the fall of 2022. I will be teaching a photography class on the March 5, 2022 cruise.

If you are on one of my cruises and there isn't a ship photographer just ask, I'll be more than happy to snap a few if I'm not busy 😉

1.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have been on the PG a number of times. Twice in window cabins and five or six times  in balcony cabins. On the PG, the balconies are so small that they are useful only for drying swimwear. So a picture window room may be the best deal. There are some porthole window rooms on deck 4, and I don't think we would like those. You mention that you aew concerned about the PG's parent company, and so are we. If you do book, charge it on an AmEx card if you can. AmEx is good about getting a refund of the goods aren't delivered.

Porthole cabins, category F, are on deck 3 only.  Deck 4 are all window cabins, category E.  Both E and F categories are identical except for 2 portholes vs. 1 window.

Wait until Thanksgiving, at the earliest, to book.  They may have a sale at that time (usually onboard credit).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LikeToCruise2015 said:

The smallest cabins on the ship are 200 square feet.  Almost all other cruise lines start with cabins in the 140-150 square foot range.  At 200 square feet they don't really feel at all tiny

Exactly.  Especially since some marine architect somewhere did a wonderful job designing them.  Great storage possibilities, for instance, despite seemingly tiny closets.  Love those little cabins.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:15 AM, Dolebludger said:

We have been on the PG a number of times. Twice in window cabins and five or six times  in balcony cabins. On the PG, the balconies are so small that they are useful only for drying swimwear. So a picture window room may be the best deal. There are some porthole window rooms on deck 4, and I don't think we would like those. You mention that you aew concerned about the PG's parent company, and so are we. If you do book, charge it on an AmEx card if you can. AmEx is good about getting a refund of the goods aren't delivered.

Just wondering why you have chosen the window cabin only twice, and the balcony cabin 5 or 6? times if you didn't consider  the balcony worth it. We hang our swimwear to dry in the tub since there's always been a pull string to do that. We don't spend a lot of time on the balcony, but that's where we are when we pull into or leave our anchorage.

• 2 weeks later...

We have coffee, fresh fruit and croissants on the balcony every single morning of every cruise we have taken on the Paul Gauguin, with the exception of one rainy morning. I also enjoy sitting on the balcony in my robe after I shower before dinner. Small, yes, but we enjoy them immensely.