Question re: Abbott Binaxnow testing?

julia

16 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:

Went on Binax website and it showed Out of Stock.  Someone on another cruise line thread said they were out of stock til 2022.  Hope they were mistaken.

The six-packs are currently out of stock at eMed.com, but the two and three packs can be ordered from Optum

https://www.emed.com/waitlist?hsLang=en

32 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:
On 9/17/2021 at 12:35 PM, BaltimoreCruise said:

I plan to purchase the BinaxNow tests for our December cruise.  If purchased recently what expiration dates do your tests have?  

Thank you.

BC

Went on Binax website and it showed Out of Stock.  Someone on another cruise line thread said they were out of stock til 2022.  Hope they were mistaken.

The eMed site (eMed only sells packs of 6) is currently out-of-stock - Just looked at their web site this morning

"While we replenish our inventory, eMed verified tests are available in packs of two or three from our partner, The Optum Store."
However the Optum site has packs of 2 & 3

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Tioga, they are not the same. The self test does not require a proctor and is used mainly to give you peace of mind if you feel you've been exposed to covid.

The home test does require a proctor and it's acceptable for HAL cruisers. You get an email with your results. Everything is included in the cost.

I understand they have different purposes, but are the tests -materials, methods and protocols- different?  They ARE being marketed under the same name, but with a single word difference.

The directions and procedure are the same for the over the counter Binax test and the Binax Now ag card home (proctored) test.  When I inquired at CVS they gave me the paper with the directions from a test that had been returned and they were identical to the home test.  The Home test is the one you need for travel.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loreto said:

The directions and procedure are the same for the over the counter Binax test and the Binax Now ag card home (proctored) test.  When I inquired at CVS they gave me the paper with the directions from a test that had been returned and they were identical to the home test.  The Home test is the one you need for travel.

Thank you. That’s helpful.

I went through some of the information for professionals and found nothing comparing/ contrasting them. It’s a cLIA waived test, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were identical. There are other tests that are, but one is licensed for clinical use and another for non- professional home use. (For me, it’s a vote of confidence if they are identical.)

I just bought a set of self tests ( so we have them, for PRN use). The manufacture date was September and expiry is in March. For now.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I understand they have different purposes, but are the tests -materials, methods and protocols- different?  They ARE being marketed under the same name, but with a single word difference.

I've done the BinaxNow at home test and watched a Video of the "Monitored" Test.  Materials are the same except the liquid in the Video was in a bottle while the BinaxNow at home was in a plastic applicator.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jhannah said:

I have four Abbott proctored test kits I'll sell at a discount

What is the Lot Number, Listed, and extended expiration dates???

Many 2021 manufactured packages are nearing the end of the expiration dates.

1 hour ago, jhannah said:

I have four Abbott proctored test kits I'll sell at a discount. I paid $35 each but will sell for $25 each. Private message me.

PXL_20211008_203404134.jpg

These tests are a prescription in your name so I don't think you can sell them to anyone else.  When I ordered mine I gave my name and my husband's as the users and the Navica App was in our names as well.  We used 2 and I have 4 that will expire before we can use them since the cruise I ordered them for was cancelled.

4 hours ago, RGEDad said:

What is the Lot Number, Listed, and extended expiration dates???

Many 2021 manufactured packages are nearing the end of the expiration dates.

141476 2021-09-27 extended 3 months

139520 2021-09-21 extended 3 months

4 hours ago, Loreto said:

These tests are a prescription in your name so I don't think you can sell them to anyone else.  When I ordered mine I gave my name and my husband's as the users and the Navica App was in our names as well.  We used 2 and I have 4 that will expire before we can use them since the cruise I ordered them for was cancelled.

I don't believe these qualify as an Rx. They can be bought over-the-counter. There's a name on the order, of course, but there is no posted restriction for use.

Edited by jhannah

From HAL's website re: Vaccine and Testing Requirements  (Not Specific to BinaxNow, Just Specific to ALL Requirements) - Through February 28, 2022

-------------------

Updated October 13, 2021

Your health and safety are our highest priorities.  Our cruises through February 28, 2022 are available for guests who have ALL of the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
• Proof of vaccination
• Proof of a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2021/US-Cruise-Protocols-1013.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI, we ordered 6 of these tests, received them in short notice.  We are very unhappy with the "expiration" date of 2021-09-21.  They gave us a 1/2 sheet of paper stating that the FDA has granted a 3-month extension.  I do not care what this note, says.  I do not care what the letter from the Government (I suppose) says.  I care what HAL will say. Just because someone writes something does not make it true, or in this case valid. We are not going to trust these tests at all---unless HAL says that expired-dated-tests are accepted.

Sorry, sigh.

1 hour ago, Mosaic said:

FYI, we ordered 6 of these tests, received them in short notice.  We are very unhappy with the "expiration" date of 2021-09-21.  They gave us a 1/2 sheet of paper stating that the FDA has granted a 3-month extension.  I do not care what this note, says.  I do not care what the letter from the Government (I suppose) says.  I care what HAL will say. Just because someone writes something does not make it true, or in this case valid. We are not going to trust these tests at all---unless HAL says that expired-dated-tests are accepted.

Sorry, sigh.

No one from HAL sees the expiration date. They are only interested in the document provided by the testing company stating you are negative. We did the tests with the extended expiration dates - no problem.

• Like 2

We are trying to be helpful here on CruiseCritic. There is no reason that this thread has gone on for 4 pages now. The proctored tests from Emed work, are easy to use and are accepted by HAL. STOP STRESSING! Just deal with it and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mosaic said:

Sorry, sigh.

Will it help you to see the actual FDA letter to Abbott extending the expiration dates? Here it is:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en

If you do some quick research on the FDA’s extension of the expiration dates based on the demonstrated longer shelf life, you will see this is legitimate.  There are a number of Abbott letters available on line showing the extended expiration dates of the kits. 

And if you do some reading here on CC in other cruise line forums (e.g. Celebrity), you will see the kits being used by plenty of folks to cruise. 

You are certainly free not to use these test kits, but they are not expired. 

• Like 1

Turtles06 is right. And HAL will never see the expiration date, or the extended expiration date of the tests.  All they will see is the result of your test-whether it is positive or negative.  The AbbottBinaxNOW tests are very useful for their purpose-an alternative to having to go to a lab or drug store or hospital to get a rapid result COVID test for traveling.  These tests are being widely used by cruisers and international travelers.  If they were not, well, Abbott would not have sold out of them, would they? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 3:07 PM, Turtles06 said:

Will it help you to see the actual FDA letter to Abbott extending the expiration dates? Here it is:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en

If you do some quick research on the FDA’s extension of the expiration dates based on the demonstrated longer shelf life, you will see this is legitimate.

AND here is the actual FDA Letter - from FDA Web Site:(https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download),

Please also note:  There are a number of Posts in various threads that stated the New Abbott BINAX Home Test expiration date is 12 months from date of Manufacture (factory Icon)- That is not Correct

The correct date is from the original 9 month expiration date (Hourglass Icon-️-) to add a three month extension. These two dates are close, but not the same. 

image.png.c1d62f23dd7b427d54ec34518b4eec8e.png

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

My Emed BinaxNOW kits arrived today with this card as well as a code for 10% off next purchase OPTIMUM10. (All were dated with an exp date of 2021-09-28)

333513019_BinaxExpdate.thumb.jpg.b498ae9d737c2f329df851d61c8733e9.jpg

Binax Exp date info.jpg

Now I am confused, the link from Emed with the Abbott letter shows your Lot # 137428D expiring 12/8/2021 with the extension.

Abbott Letterhead (emed.com)

Edited by RSWBADGER