Abbott BinaxNOW for Canadians

escapesnow

Royal Caribbean has approved the Abbott BinaxNOW covid home test. We're spending a few days in Orlando pre-cruise so we'll require another test (separate from US entry) to get on the ship. After reading about test result delays, and our busy Disney schedule pre-cruise, this home test seems like the best option for us. I haven't found a way to order it to Canada though, then of course pack it in our suitcase. Is anyone planning on doing the same route? If so, how are you getting your hands on these tests?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, escapesnow said:

If so, how are you getting your hands on these tests?

Have it delivered to your hotel a couple of weeks ahead of time- we have done this with other deliveries. Arrange with hotel and verify by phone that it has arrived.

• Like 1

I have written to the company to ensure we can use it with our Canadian IP address.  If we can, I’ll write to our AirBnb host to see if they would provide a secure address I could send this to,, and I’ve also sent an enquiry about renting a P.O. Box for a week or two.  Will report back what I learn.  

Edited by Josie201
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, escapesnow said:

Royal Caribbean has approved the Abbott BinaxNOW covid home test. We're spending a few days in Orlando pre-cruise so we'll require another test (separate from US entry) to get on the ship. After reading about test result delays, and our busy Disney schedule pre-cruise, this home test seems like the best option for us. I haven't found a way to order it to Canada though, then of course pack it in our suitcase. Is anyone planning on doing the same route? If so, how are you getting your hands on these tests?

We have the exact same itinerary plans of spending time in Orlando/Disney prior to cruising. We sail beginning Jan, so who know what the requirements will be by then, but if they remain the same, I think we will have shipped to the hotel. As you need to complete with the app and telehealth technician witnessing, would then need to plan that into the itinerary. 

hoping bu that time Royal Caribbean starts rapid testing at the pier 😬

On 9/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, escapesnow said:

If so, how are you getting your hands on these tests?

If you need to have the tests in hand before you leave Canada, and if a US seller online won't send directly to Canada, you could look at using a US-to-Canada parcel forwarding service.  They'll supply a US address for your purchase and will drive the parcel across the border, either for pickup or mailing out by Canada Post.  Prices vary a lot from service to service (some are really inexpensive and others are total rip-offs), so it's a good idea to shop around. 

• Like 1

I noticed on the La Lida Loca video where Tony takes the at home test, before he is connected to a live supervisor he must fill in a template on the computer which includes the question - what is your home state?  If you do not have a home state, can you proceed?  Or do you simply input the state you are in when you take the test (Florida for caribbean departures)?

Don

• Like 1

I am wondering if you have to pay extra for the video consultation, or if it is included in the cost of the kit. Also, if you do, if it is a per person cost, or can they do a couple together? 

re getting it to you…ask a friend  or relative in the USA to order it and mail it onward to you. Have to put new wrapping on the outside .

I don’t have anything to report as I have not received any reply.  However I did try to set up an account on line at EMed and Optum.  It said my phone number and or email was invalid ….  Assume it’s because they aren’t US.  I’ll keep trying and will report if I get a response.  

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 7:37 PM, Josie201 said:

I don’t have anything to report as I have not received any reply.  However I did try to set up an account on line at EMed and Optum.  It said my phone number and or email was invalid ….  Assume it’s because they aren’t US.  I’ll keep trying and will report if I get a response.  

I spoke to Optus tonight and they said it’s only for US 😡

• Like 1

Shoppers Drug Mart offers the Abbott Panbio rapid antigen test that I hoping to arrange within the 2 days prior to my Royal Caribbean cruise sailing on Dec 27th (yes it means I would have to go Dec 25th). 

The Royal Caribbean website mentions they accept the results of : 

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).

I realize it makes sense to assume that, because it is an Abbott test, and it will be administered by at the pharmacy, it is a no-brainer it will be accepted by Royal. However my nightmare is to fly down there while making this assumption only to have a small technicality render that specific test to be ineligible in the eyes of Royal.  Have sent many messages to RC without receiving a reply.

For anyone who has done a pharmacy-administered rapid antigen test at Shoppers or other pharmacies that administer the Abbot Panbio rapid antigen test : did RC accept it to let you on board? 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 7:13 PM, peacefrogdog said:

Shoppers Drug Mart offers the Abbott Panbio rapid antigen test that I hoping to arrange within the 2 days prior to my Royal Caribbean cruise sailing on Dec 27th (yes it means I would have to go Dec 25th). 

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).

I realize it makes sense to assume that, because it is an Abbott test, and it will be administered by at the pharmacy, it is a no-brainer it will be accepted by Royal. However my nightmare is to fly down there while making this assumption only to have a small technicality render that specific test to be ineligible in the eyes of Royal.  Have sent many messages to RC without receiving a reply.

For anyone who has done a pharmacy-administered rapid antigen test at Shoppers or other pharmacies that administer the Abbot Panbio rapid antigen test : did RC accept it to let you on board? 

Thanks in advance

Apparently they will not accept an antigen test which is not monitored and Shoppers home test is not monitored. On another note, I ordered the Abbot antigen test from Celebrity to be delivered to my hotel. At first they wouldn't accept my order because the hotel's zip code did not match the postal code attached to my credit card. I then changed my credit card postal code to all the 3 numbers in my postal code and added 2 zeros to be consistent with a 5 number zip code. We do that at the gas pumps when we travel to the U.S. and it always works when they ask for a zip code. Hope this helps.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, peacefrogdog said:

Thanks in advance

We did the Shoppers pharmacy-administered rapid antigen test in August.  The pharmacist does it and you wait for your results.  It was accepted by both the airline to fly to the US and it was accepted by Celebrity (I know that is not Royal, but likely they should be similar).  It was an: Abbott Panbio COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

We did the Shoppers pharmacy-administered rapid antigen test in August.  The pharmacist does it and you wait for your results.  It was accepted by both the airline to fly to the US and it was accepted by Celebrity (I know that is not Royal, but likely they should be similar).  It was an: Abbott Panbio COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test.

Did the Shoppers pharmacist give you a hard copy?