Just Finished Serenade to Alaska from Seattle

On 9/24/2021 at 7:10 AM, LEMJMcC said:

For flying out of Seattle after an Alaskan cruise that is suppoed to dock at 7:00 AM, what would you reccomend for a flight departure time?  How far from the RCI terminal to the airport?

Thanks.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:22 AM, twangster said:

If all goes well you can get to the airport by 9:30am easily but...  many reports of terribly long security lines at SEA.  

The ship is sailing a long course so there is always opportunity for delays or a medical evac that can alter a 7am arrival.  I understand the desire to avoid sitting around an airport for hours but you are always much safer planning a return flight to do just that.  

I have flown out of Seattle a tonne over the years.  The TSA in Seattle seem in inordinately slow and inefficient.  

I hope the WJ is open for dinner by the time I sail Serenade Alaska in Sept 2022.

Very sad to hear of the limited food in the evenings after MDR is closed.

How can you do the Muster if you don't want to use the app?

All of this doesn't sound good to me and hoping by my first cruise in Jan 2022 things will have relaxed and getting back to semi normal again (or as close as we can get it)...fingers crossed !!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

We're trying to start planning the flights to/from Seattle for our Alaskan cruise next year.

From what port did your ship leave?  Is it the Carnival terminal at the Port of Seattle?  Per google maps, that's about a half an hour away from the SEA airport by rental car; is this correct?  

Also, what hotels would ou recommend?  We plan to arrive Saturday for a Monday sail away so that gives us a couple of days to checkout the area some; we will likely rent a car.

Much appreciated.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal uses Pier 91 at Smith Cove.  That's not a Carnival facility but owned by the Port and used by a number of cruise lines.  

Airport hotel to Smith Cove Pier 91 was 36 minutes on Sunday morning.

https://www.portseattle.org/places/smith-cove-cruise-terminal-pier-91

I have had very little success with Seattle airport hotels.  I'd recommend staying downtown closer to pier 91.  You'll pay a premium but if you want to enjoy your time in Seattle, especially if you are taking an extra day post cruise, it is worth it.  On my last cruise out of Seattle I didn't stay in a hotel but stayed with friends but times past i have had success with...

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/seacsup-the-sound-hotel-seattle-belltown/?cid=&WT.mc_id=&dclid=&gclid=&AWC=

21 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Just out of curiosity are the servers providing slips to sign for complimentary drinks?

If they provide you a slip, that is the same as them soliciting a tip and making you feel guilty.  If you prepaid (drink package) or complimentary (Diamond drinks) than you should never get a receipt (since it's already paid for).  

On 9/9/2021 at 5:23 AM, flpenguin said:

How was the weather in Alaska during the cruise.  We cruise next Sept.4 on the Serenade.  Our 2 previous Alaska cruises were the end of May so expecting weather to be different.  Thanks for your review.

I just booked Serenade today for Sept 4 - 11!

On 9/29/2021 at 11:41 AM, Big_G said:

Just out of curiosity are the servers providing slips to sign for complimentary drinks?

I've done 3 cruises so far since this Alaska cruise and none require me to sign for any of my D+ 5 drinks.  Just swipe your card and give you your drink. 

Edited by DeputyDawg46
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, LEMJMcC said:

Thanks, I think we'll just decrease the stress and take an extra vacation day and plan a flight the day after return to port...it'd give us an extra day to check out Seattle as well, if there's really anything of interest there.

We stayed at the Hampton SeaTac Airport location. They had a great free shuttle system to and from the airport.

They also provided a free shuttle service to the train station that went downtown. Free  breakfast. 

We did not rent a car. Didn't need to. We went downtown both days on the train. Easy to figure out..

Went to the Chuilly glass museum and gardens one day. Absolutely beautiful glass works.

The next day we went to the aquarium. Excellent. We always like to go to local zoos. Lots of places to eat downtown.

We did not go to the big Pike's market.

Wanted to eat lunch at the space Needle but didn't have time.

There's lots to do but I'm only commenting on what we did.

The hotel also provided free shuttle service to several restaurants in the area. (Note that shuttle pick up and drops are arranged around flight schedules! It may take some time to get picked back up.)

We ate lunch downtown both days. There were a number of restaurants close to the hotel for dinner so we just walked. 

There wasn't a lot to do by the hotel itself and at the time (5 years ago) there was a lot of construction going on. But it was fine for us.

They offered transfers to the cruise pier from the hotel, and from pier to airport (for a fee). Reasonable rates. If you purchased a pier to airport shuttle and had a late flight, you could be dropped off at the hotel, relax in the lobby, and be comfortable, free shuttle to the airport. Nice option.

Since covid I don't know what they offer but I would stay there again.

• 1 month later...