Cairns port upgraded

Chiliburn

I didn’t know cairns port has been dredged and can now take cruise ships up to 300 meters long.

Heres a pic of queen Elizabeth in cairns turning Feb 2020.

We have a overnight on radiance next year , I was expecting to tender of Yorkies knob but in docks.

image.thumb.jpeg.1508928abded8ab06d584f027456f9ad.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I didn’t know cairns port has been dredged and can now take cruise ships up to 300 meters long.

Heres a pic of queen Elizabeth in cairns turning Feb 2020.

We have a overnight on radiance next year , I was expecting to tender of Yorkies knob but in docks.

image.thumb.jpeg.1508928abded8ab06d584f027456f9ad.jpeg

I was onboard when you took that pic - it was quite a thing to get in and out. They lost a tour group in the Tablelands and originally we were due to depart 3pm - but we were a couple of hours late and I wondered how low the tide was  getting 

View from the Commodres Club 

IMG_5189.thumb.JPG.3074432ae7f09f5f6b9683799647c00c.JPG

P1090617.JPG

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was reading under simulations larger ships could use the port but the channel is to tight.

The major cruise lines said they will use Yorkeys knob for their biggest ships.

They May dredge the channel by 2030.

Cruising could be back by then.🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I was onboard when you took that pic - it was quite a thing to get in and out. They lost a tour group in the Tablelands and originally we were due to depart 3pm - but we were a couple of hours late and I wondered how low the tide was  getting 

View from the Commodres Club 

IMG_5189.thumb.JPG.3074432ae7f09f5f6b9683799647c00c.JPG

P1090617.JPG

Were you there overnight? 
we are booked on radiance and it’s the same size as the Queen.Its a overnighter. Then up to port Douglas.
My parents used to live there and Port Douglas and they kept saying they wanted to go back.So we are taking their ashes back.

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Were you there overnight? 
we are booked on radiance and it’s the same size as the Queen.Its a overnighter. Then up to port Douglas.
My parents used to live there and Port Douglas and they kept saying they wanted to go back.So we are taking their ashes back.

No it was a just stop on the way back from PNG. 

I love PD though -we were supposed to be there next month - cancelled now of course.  I know someone who was in PD in the early 70s - they couldn't believe how much it had changed. 

If you have an overnight - I'd highly recommend hiring a car and getting out of Cairns up to PD and maybe Mossman 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

No it was a just stop on the way back from PNG. 

I love PD though -we were supposed to be there next month - cancelled now of course.  I know someone who was in PD in the early 70s - they couldn't believe how much it had changed. 

If you have an overnight - I'd highly recommend hiring a car and getting out of Cairns up to PD and maybe Mossman 

We have  two days in cairns and a day in port Douglas.

Edited by Chiliburn

We visited Port Douglas on our QLD road trip, it was a little bit bizarre having a resort all to ourselves😳. To be honest I found PD a little strange, you would turn into a street of houses and  all the houses have holiday house for rent signboards in front. It kind of feels like the whole town is one big resort and no one actually lives there😂. Food though was fantastic, really top eateries😋

There is an amazing amount of work planned for the waterfront precinct here over the next 10-15 years. The inlet is being continually dredged, so capacity for larger ships is constantly improving. Stepping ashore in the middle of the CBD is great .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MalGee64 said:

There is an amazing amount of work planned for the waterfront precinct here over the next 10-15 years. The inlet is being continually dredged, so capacity for larger ships is constantly improving. Stepping ashore in the middle of the CBD is great .

Dredging the channel for the biggest ship would be money well spent.

Even for the navy to get big ships in there.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Dredging the channel for the biggest ship would be money well spent.

Even for the navy to get big ships in there.

Last time I was in Cairns I read on their information boards that their esplanade use to be a large sandy beach but they dredged so much to increase space for shipping the beach was covered up by the mud you see today. I was thinking if only someone had the forsight to realise beaches would be worth a lot of money in the future🔮🤑. It makes you wonder how differently Cairns might have turned out🤔. Could have been more like PD or maybe a northern Gold Coast😂

11 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Last time I was in Cairns I read on their information boards that their esplanade use to be a large sandy beach but they dredged so much to increase space for shipping the beach was covered up by the mud you see today. I was thinking if only someone had the forsight to realise beaches would be worth a lot of money in the future🔮🤑. It makes you wonder how differently Cairns might have turned out🤔. Could have been more like PD or maybe a northern Gold Coast😂

When I use to live there 40 years ago cairns foreshore was a muddy flat covered in mud skippers.Then they bought in a heap of sand from somewhere,I can’t remember where but it was controversial .Those days things just happened.

But none of the beaches are much good there because it’s protected behind the reef.
‘Even four mile beach in port Douglas is dirty sand.

Edited by Chiliburn

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

When I use to live there 40 years ago cairns foreshore was a muddy flat covered in mud skippers.Then they bought in a heap of sand from somewhere,I can’t remember where but it was controversial .Those days things just happened.

But none of the beaches are much good there because it’s protected behind the reef.
‘Even four mile beach in port Douglas is dirty sand.

Oh dear, they really thought they could resurrect a beach just by dumping sand😂 clearly not alot of thought put into that. Though I was up at PD in June and the beach didn't look dirty to me🤔

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Oh dear, they really thought they could resurrect a beach just by dumping sand😂 clearly not alot of thought put into that. Though I was up at PD in June and the beach didn't look dirty to me🤔

Well the beaches aren’t golden like Bondi, Northern NSW and Gold Coast.

They got sick of the  tourist ( mainly Japanese) expecting golden sand so they bought some in 

If you go to the islands and cays on the outer reef they are golden .The sand is washed by the big waves.

Anyone  who goes there should go out on a live aboard to the outer islands for a few days.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Well the beaches aren’t golden like Bondi, Northern NSW and Gold Coast.

They got sick of the  tourist ( mainly Japanese) expecting golden sand so they bought some in 

If you go to the islands and cays on the outer reef they are golden .The sand is washed by the big waves.

Anyone  who goes there should go out on a live aboard to the outer islands for a few days.

I guess whatever they're doing is working, the tourism industry has clearly overtaken the town. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

And due to stingers, most of  the year you cannot dunk in the ocean.

Been to Cairns a couple of times, not a fan, but some nice places near there.

I lived there for many years uncle Les working on trawler and I think it’s overrated.
Everything wants to sting you and bight you .
They have two temperatures,Hot and F in hot . I remember laying in bed at night in July in a pool of sweat.

But then I remember people from Darwin saying the weather it Cairns is so much better than Darwin. I would hate to see what Darwin was like.
Give me the seasons of NSW and Tooheys draught .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I lived there for many years uncle Les working on trawler and I think it’s overrated.
Everything wants to sting you and bight you .
They have two temperatures,Hot and F in hot . I remember laying in bed at night in July in a pool of sweat.

But then I remember people from Darwin saying the weather it Cairns is so much better than Darwin. I would hate to see what Darwin was like.
Give me the seasons of NSW and Tooheys draught .

Indeed NSW has the best seasonal weather and the best beer.   Not much difference in Darwin and Cairns weather, all too hot for me and too many stingers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Indeed NSW has the best seasonal weather and the best beer.   Not much difference in Darwin and Cairns weather, all too hot for me and too many stingers.

Sone of NSW doesn't have proper seasons, it just has summer and winter, and periods of confusion in between!

We used to go to Port Douglas in early September for holidays. It was always lovely then, not too hot or humid, no stingers although we rarely swam at the beach.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We’ve lived up here from NSW, for over 25 years now. Winters here and in Cairns are fabulous, as the humidity drops away, which is the culprit. In summer, we get temps similar to Sydney or Brisbane - 32 to 34 - but the humidity just knocks your Sox off. Always wet - yuk 😫

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

We’ve lived up here from NSW, for over 25 years now. Winters here and in Cairns are fabulous, as the humidity drops away, which is the culprit. In summer, we get temps similar to Sydney or Brisbane - 32 to 34 - but the humidity just knocks your Sox off. Always wet - yuk 😫

Yeh but sydney usually has a dry heat.

I always wondered why Queenslander have a callus on there left knee?

Its from bending bananas.

Where’s @gbenjo