covid test negative result with a diagnosis

lauren0309

I went to a Urgent Care yesterday to get a rapid test for my cruise. While my test came out negative the doctor put a diagnosis of  "contact with and possible exposure to communicable viruses". Maybe he put it down for insurance reasons?  I hope this won't cause a problem at check in at the pier on Sunday.   I'm wondering now if I should go to a pharmacy for a second test so there won't be a diagnosis on it.  Has anyone else had a doctor put that diagnosis down for rapid testing?

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I would get a second test. I would also ask him why he wrote that. Did you say you might have been around others who might have had it?

Nope. Maybe its a way to bill insurance, idk. Someone else also had the same thing written on their test report at a clinic. For peace of mind I think I will have another test done at a pharmacy.

• Like 1

I got a Covid test at a walk in clinic near me in anticipation of a June 2021 cruise on Adventure otS. I told the clinic the test was for travel, not exposure or symptoms. My result page clearly said negative. But later my insurance paperwork had the same phrase as OP’s about contact/exposure. It makes me wonder if there is no medical billing code for travel precautions. I canceled the Adventure cruise because a family wedding popped up, so never had to show my credentials. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, auntjoy036 said:

I got a Covid test at a walk in clinic near me in anticipation of a June 2021 cruise on Adventure otS. I told the clinic the test was for travel, not exposure or symptoms. My result page clearly said negative. But later my insurance paperwork had the same phrase as OP’s about contact/exposure. It makes me wonder if there is no medical billing code for travel precautions. I canceled the Adventure cruise because a family wedding popped up, so never had to show my credentials. 

Since you said it was for travel did your insurance pay for it?

4 minutes ago, sharktums said:

This is why I'm going to a travel testing place or using the at home kit instead of an urgent care. I've read about this in the past that they're using phrasing like this to get reimbursed by insurance and/or the government. 

so I'm sure then I'm not the first person arriving at the pier with that diagnosis and maybe Royal is used to seeing that but doesnt put me at ease. I dont want to be questioned.  I'm going this morning for another test at a local pharmacy

• Like 1

My rapid test from urgent care says something similar. I’m supposed to embark tomorrow, not really concerned. Like the other commenter said, I think it’s for insurance purposes. Remember, urgent care is like a doctor visit, so the print out contains more chart info than just the rest results. Mine also lists, weight, bp, heart rate. I’ll prob offer just the page with the test results, because the rest of my medical history isn’t really applicable to the requirements. 

I could be totally off base, hopefully someone else with an urgent care test replies. 

7 minutes ago, alurpal said:

My rapid test from urgent care says something similar. I’m supposed to embark tomorrow, not really concerned. Like the other commenter said, I think it’s for insurance purposes. Remember, urgent care is like a doctor visit, so the print out contains more chart info than just the rest results. Mine also lists, weight, bp, heart rate. I’ll prob offer just the page with the test results, because the rest of my medical history isn’t really applicable to the requirements. 

I could be totally off base, hopefully someone else with an urgent care test replies. 

The diagnosis is right above my test results so its all on the same page so it will stand right out when they look at it.

9 hours ago, lauren0309 said:

I went to a Urgent Care yesterday to get a rapid test for my cruise. While my test came out negative the doctor put a diagnosis of  "contact with and possible exposure to communicable viruses". Maybe he put it down for insurance reasons?  I hope this won't cause a problem at check in at the pier on Sunday.   I'm wondering now if I should go to a pharmacy for a second test so there won't be a diagnosis on it.  Has anyone else had a doctor put that diagnosis down for rapid testing?

I would take the paper back to Urgent Care  and ask them to re-print it with no diagnosis or with an addendum stating that the test was for travel. If they give you grief you can tell them it's an error in your EMR that needs to be corrected.

I only say this because if I needed a rapid test right now I would have to drive at least an hour each way. 

Good Luck  and enjoy your cruise! 

I did call urgent care and they wouldn't change it so I  just got back from a small local pharmacy in my neighborhood. Charged me $79.00, they came right out to my car, took the test and gave me the results within 15 minutes. Quick and easy.. Now I can finally relax!

• Like 2

No one is going to read it at that level of detail at the port.  I wouldn't worry about it.

The urgent care did it that way because it likely has a higher billing rate and they can scam insurance out of additional $$ for the doctor visit / consultation at urgent care rates.

Our local urgent care is very clear that they don't do tests for travel reasons and every test comes with a urgent care doctor visit (that's actually done by a nurse).

Urgent cares and stand alone ERs are a very overpriced.

My 8/28/2021 CVS test was listed as "for travel" and they took my insurance info and $0.  It is not yet listed on BCBS as having been paid.

Ahh - I do see the concern.  the pre-boarding questionnaire specifically asked about close contact if I recall correctly.

Edited by AustinCruise

Upcoming travel is a valid reason for a COVID test.  It's all over the Kaiser web site.  I agree another test is needed, and tell them it's for travel requirements by the cruise line.  If you think it would help, print out this page wherever it applies to you, and take it with you:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

I went to north well health urgent care. Told them it was for travel and not to put exposed to COVID on the paperwork cause my daughter had that problem going to Turks and Caicos last week when authorities saw exposed to COVID. So the tech at the urgent care made the paperwork without stating that and when we look on our medical records it is stated we took tests for possible exposure. I guess like you are all thinking for insurance purposes. 

34 minutes ago, calmingwaters said:

I went to north well health urgent care. Told them it was for travel and not to put exposed to COVID on the paperwork cause my daughter had that problem going to Turks and Caicos last week when authorities saw exposed to COVID. So the tech at the urgent care made the paperwork without stating that and when we look on our medical records it is stated we took tests for possible exposure. I guess like you are all thinking for insurance purposes. 

Yup.  If you were exposed, then they can justify a doctors visit to check for symptoms.  Cleared for travel is just a test w/o consultation.  Billing goes from $40 to something around $200.

Stay away from these places unless it's really something urgent.