PLF ( Passenger Locater Form)

daveoc

I'm on a September cruise that requires me to input this completed Government form from 2 days before I'm due to arrive back in the UK.

I realise that I have to book the 2 day PCR test before I board the ship so that I have the reference number required for the PLF form. What I'm unsure of is, do I have to do anything with the PLF form before I get on the cruise or can I wait and do everything 2 days before I arrive back.

I've looked at the form and it does seem to me that I don't need to do anything until 2 days before I'm back in the UK, but I'm also mindful that if I get this wrong I'm a bit stuck.

Agree you can't complete the PLF until that last 2 days so my question would be around internet access to do that if you don't have a wifi package. You obviously get free access to the P&O site for the "Bookings App" but wonder if they'll include the Gov Site so you can do the PLF

I would hope and expect they will---but you never know. If not then, if you have a mobile package, the 4 g signal starts to appear on the night before you dock, so a lot of filling in to be done then and on arrival morning.

It's not only the UK PLF, Spain and Portugal have them too ,if that's where you are going ,like we are . Spain's a website or app and generates a QR code and has a Maritime option . 

have you created your account already ? 

most will be in the middle of the Ocean 48 hours before. Saying that ,my daughter always fills hers in ,while in the queue at passport control at Gatwick 🙄

Edited by rumbalizw
Typo

As Moley has reported P&O intend to handle a lot of stuff onboard the ship, including providing a package tailored to your cruise including the return to UK day 2 PCR test. It has been reported that to fill in the passenger locator form you will need mobile phone access? so you can receive the one time code they send you via text message. The form itself is submitted to the gov web site so can use the ships WiFi and I think P&O won't charge for this access. As for the one time code text, as said elsewhere, it will get busy on the last morning. There are reports that a procedural change is being discussed for cruise passengers.

Reports in the press this morning that the day 2 PCR test will be replaced with a lateral flow one for those fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

See my quote on another thread.  "

E

xpensive PCR Covid tests may be binned for fully vaccinated holidaymakers on their return to the UK, according to reports.

Now NHS’ free lateral flow tests could replace the expensive PCR test which is currently required on the second day after arrival and can cost more than £100, according to The Mail On Sunday.

This would save families hundreds of pounds when booking a holiday.

Covid tests before leaving Britain also may be dropped.

42 minutes ago, davecttr said:

As Moley has reported P&O intend to handle a lot of stuff onboard the ship, including providing a package tailored to your cruise including the return to UK day 2 PCR test. It has been reported that to fill in the passenger locator form you will need mobile phone access? so you can receive the one time code they send you via text message. The form itself is submitted to the gov web site so can use the ships WiFi and I think P&O won't charge for this access. As for the one time code text, as said elsewhere, it will get busy on the last morning. There are reports that a procedural change is being discussed for cruise passengers.

Reports in the press this morning that the day 2 PCR test will be replaced with a lateral flow one for those fully vaccinated.

I'm reading things differently to what you are. The PCR test that P&O are providing onboard is for passengers who need to have this test, where required, to get off at foreign ports.

As to the one time code via text for the PLF I thought that was only to enable you to access the online details you completed before departure, and then only if you chose to do so. I'm of the opinion that the PLF does not need to be accessed until 2 days before arrival back in the UK with no need to do anything with it before departure.

I have no idea if I am right with any of this, it's just the way that I have read the information coming out and I fully accept that I may be wrong. 

You can set up an account on the gov website for the plf, earlier ,but you can't complete it until 48 hours before you arrive in the uk. At the moment, to complete it ,you need to enter the day 2 test order number . I've observed my daughters Spanish health form as, she's just back and off again next week. I've the app ready on my phone

P&O also do state passengers are required to complete documentation for other ports . They probably will provide all info needed in good time with links etc. Who knows. Spanish health form has a,maritime option but Portuguese, asks for a flight and seat number . Hey ho, it'll all work out 

Edited by rumbalizw
Missed into
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daveoc said:

Yes we're on the Spain/Portugal trip. In the email that P&O sent there is no mention of having to do a PLF for them---maybe P&O deal with it onboard?.

From the P&O website ,

"During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination " 

If you travel to Portugal you have to complete their passenger locator form. This presumes you are flying in etc etc so not suitable for a cruise visit. Madeira might be easier

for example Iona's Canary isles 14 night cruises first visit Madeira then 3 Canary Islands then Cadiz then an overnight in Lisbon. the mind boggles with the potential complexity and as for Caribbean cruises with multiple countries!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, daveoc said:

I'm on a September cruise that requires me to input this completed Government form from 2 days before I'm due to arrive back in the UK.

I realise that I have to book the 2 day PCR test before I board the ship so that I have the reference number required for the PLF form. What I'm unsure of is, do I have to do anything with the PLF form before I get on the cruise or can I wait and do everything 2 days before I arrive back.

I've looked at the form and it does seem to me that I don't need to do anything until 2 days before I'm back in the UK, but I'm also mindful that if I get this wrong I'm a bit stuck.

As mentioned by rumbalizw (#9), you can set it up now.  You in fact register for the system (effectively open an account), so can the input all your personal data that would be the same for any trip abroad (passport details NHS number etc.).  That data remains in the system and will be present when you go to fill in the specific PLF data for any trip within two days of returning - there are more questions to answer then and has to be submitted on line.

We are traveling with Fred next week and has also suggested a visa agency who can be used by anyone who does not think they will be able to complete the form themselves at a cost of £12.95 (possibly more if need to contact them by phone instead of fill in the agency's online form).  They will take all your details prior to you going away and then complete and submit the form when required.  Fred also say their staff will be able to help on the morning of your return if anyone has problems then (at a cost of £20pp).  I am sure P&O will send out full details of requirements before your cruises, but as requirements can change will not be too early, (Fred sent ours about 2.5 weeks before our cruise).  I am sure help will be available if needed since not everyone will be able to cope with online submission, though I assume any costs will likely be different with different cruise lines.  Fred are charging £10 pp for the three days before return LTF compared to P&O's price which has recently been mentioned as £18 for instance.  Fred will provide free WiFi for the forms to be filled in and I am pretty sure Moley has very recently said the same for P&O.

Our cruise only goes to Spain and they will currently accept the results of our pre-cruise LTF test for entry.  I think there is also a form which we will need to fill in for Spain during our journey south on the ship.  We have booked our two day PCR tests for our return at £40pp, independently.  

Apparently CLIA are trying to thrash out an alternative to the current on line PLF requirement for cruise travel with the Government, due to the fact connectivity is not good enough at sea to fill in the forms, so they have to be filled in on the morning of return (he brought his ship back the night before disembarkation for his August Iceland cruise, to allow people to fill in the PLF's.  Fred said that any alternative would not be in place in time for our cruise, so we will need to go with the current PLF requirements.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

If you travel to Portugal you have to complete their passenger locator form. This presumes you are flying in etc etc so not suitable for a cruise visit. Madeira might be easier.

Perhaps they are not taking cruises yet, or not ones from outside the EU.  Spain have only just been opening their ports over the last couple of months, but bit by bit, with the larger ports first.

Entrance requirements for all countries can and will differ widely and all can change as well, so not much point worrying more than a couple of weeks before a cruise, but I know it is difficult not to do that and start looking up current requirements.  I was convinced we would not be going to some very unusual Spanish ports in couple of weeks time, then all if a sudden things seemed to be opening up more in Spain.  May still not get there though as can change again, especially for independent exploration which we were told we would be able to do in all ports in last week's letter from Fred.  We are told they will have the current requirements available by shore tours, when we are on the ship (presumably a notice board).  All very fluid and a nightmare for the tours staff.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, daveoc said:

I realise that I have to book the 2 day PCR test before I board the ship so that I have the reference number required for the PLF form.

You can book the ‘Day 2’ PCR test (the test to be taken after you return) before you board, but there is no need to do so.

Of course you need the code from the booking to enter into the PLF, which is completed no earlier than 48 hours before you arrive. But there is nothing to stop you booking the ‘Day 2’ test whilst you are eating breakfast at Southampton on disembarkation day, getting the codes by email, and then filling in the PLF.

And given the rumours that the government is going to abandon ’Day 2’ PCR tests for the double jabbed coming from Green/Amber countries, then I am not going to rush into booking (and paying) for one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, picsa said:

You can book the ‘Day 2’ PCR test (the test to be taken after you return) before you board, but there is no need to do so.

Of course you need the code from the booking to enter into the PLF, which is completed no earlier than 48 hours before you arrive. But there is nothing to stop you booking the ‘Day 2’ test whilst you are eating breakfast at Southampton on disembarkation day, getting the codes by email, and then filling in the PLF.

And given the rumours that the government is going to abandon ’Day 2’ PCR tests for the double jabbed coming from Green/Amber countries, then I am not going to rush into booking (and paying) for one.

I am not sure if this is something specifically said by P&O, but otherwise that may not be the case.

Instructions we have been given by Fred for next week's cruise is that we will need to supply that two day test reference number when we arrive to be tested and check in for the cruise, as one of the essential things needed (along with passport, vaccine proof etc.).  If we cannot supply that reference number we would be refused embarkation.

In practice it may be possible to order the test, then supply the number whilst still at the port for embarkation though would perhaps depend on the timing of your arrival slot.  There have been very long delays for some previous passengers on international cruises who did not turn up with the correct paperwork etc.  I am hoping that will be improved for our cruise, given the very full details we have been sent, but there is always someone who does not read instructions.

Edited by tring

14 minutes ago, tring said:

Instructions we have been given by Fred for next week's cruise is that we will need to supply that two day test reference number when we arrive to be tested and check in for the cruise, as one of the essential things needed (along with passport, vaccine proof etc.).  If we cannot supply that reference number we would be refused embarkation.

And will Fred refund the cost of those tests if they are no longer required by the time your cruise returns if, as seems likely, the government is going to abandon ’Day 2’ tests for the double jabbed?

1 hour ago, picsa said:

And will Fred refund the cost of those tests if they are no longer required by the time your cruise returns if, as seems likely, the government is going to abandon ’Day 2’ tests for the double jabbed?

He will certainly not be refunding us for our loss of cruise if we do not have the correct requirements to board the ship.

I have spent a while today helping people understand the current requirements as a guideline, but I have also said I would expect all cruise lines to give full details near to the cruise date as requirements can change.  Some people have appreciated my comments.

Our tests are partially refundable as it happens, so hardly a large loss left If there is change soon.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

See my quote on another thread.  "

E

xpensive PCR Covid tests may be binned for fully vaccinated holidaymakers on their return to the UK, according to reports.

Now NHS’ free lateral flow tests could replace the expensive PCR test which is currently required on the second day after arrival and can cost more than £100, according to The Mail On Sunday.

This would save families hundreds of pounds when booking a holiday.

Covid tests before leaving Britain also may be dropped.

Not sure that is a good idea, speaking with my neighbour, his son returned from 2 weeks in Malta beginning of last week, his day 2 PCR test was positive,  he didn’t get his results until Day 4, he was double vaccinated , now worried he may have passed it on to others in household one who isn’t vaccinated as under 16. He is currently in bed with what he termed a very heavy cold and blinding headache, isolated from the rest of family in spare room. Just because someone is double vaccinated doesn’t mean they can’t catch it and pass it on. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tring said:

He will certainly not be refunding us for our loss of cruise if we do not have the correct requirements to board the ship.

I have spent a while today helping people understand the current requirements as a guideline, but I have also said I would expect all cruise lines to give full details near to the cruise date as requirements can change.  Some people have appreciated my comments.

Our tests are partially refundable as it happens, so hardly a large loss left If there is change soon.

I get it .Fred wants a quiet life ,or cruise rather , and not total chaos during the voyage  . He wants to know that every passenger has their day two test sorted ,ready for home . The tests , he can sort ,and the forms ,his staff ,albeit at a cost , will help passengers with  if needs be . 

Edited by rumbalizw
Typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, picsa said:

But Fred are seemingly making people buy tests weeks before they might be required, and in the 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

No they are not. Some people may be doing that, but that is their decision. Nothing to do with Fred.

Really? Did you not read this - 

15 hours ago, tring said:

Since the code for the test is not required until at most 48 hours before disembarkation, then forcing people to buy a test before tests to allow them to embark is making them buy it before it is required - and depending on the length of the cruise that would be weeks in advance. And it appears from the press that in the near future these tests will not be required.

I cannot see how you can claim it is "Nothing to do with Fred" when Fred are giving the ultimatum of paying for a test you don't need now and might never need or don't embark.

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Not sure that is a good idea, speaking with my neighbour, his son returned from 2 weeks in Malta beginning of last week, his day 2 PCR test was positive,  he didn’t get his results until Day 4, he was double vaccinated , now worried he may have passed it on to others in household one who isn’t vaccinated as under 16. He is currently in bed with what he termed a very heavy cold and blinding headache, isolated from the rest of family in spare room. Just because someone is double vaccinated doesn’t mean they can’t catch it and pass it on. 

I am constantly amazed by the number of people who come into our vaccine hub and make comments that make us realise that they are not aware that being double vaccinated doesn't mean that you are 100% safe from the virus. I think that the government need to be making this clear that you can still catch the virus and infect others. 

We tell everyone that comes in for their vaccine that they can still catch the virus and that they can still pass it on.  I think that we maybe over the top with our warnings, we tell them when they arrive, then we tell them when we fill in their personal details and then the vaccinated tell them when they are being actually vaccinated, We also give them an information sheet before they leave.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, rumbalizw said:

I get it .Fred wants a quiet life ,or cruise rather , and not total chaos during the voyage  . He wants to know that every passenger has their day two test sorted ,ready for home . The tests , he can sort ,and the forms ,his staff ,albeit at a cost , will help passengers with  if needs be . 

It is a Fred requirement to have this at check-in.  The legal requirement is you must have the test number to include on the PLF in advance of clearing UK immigration.

13 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Swapping PCR test for LFT here should not make a difference. He would still have proven positive but have known within 30 minutes rather than waiting for the PCR test result.

More concerning is that his fit to fly [home] test must have been negative suggesting he caught the virus in the final 3 days of his holiday or on his way home.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

It is a Fred requirement to have this at check-in.  The legal requirement is you must have the test number to include on the PLF in advance of clearing UK immigration.

That is quite true as stated previously and from information on another thread here it also appears to be a P&O requirement at present, for a cruise departing 25th September, which is later than the cruise we are booked on (and we are leaving home a while before our sailing date as well).  As yet no changes have been declared, but everything is fluid.  I doubt any cruise line would give information for cruises much before the cruise departure date, because of the chance of changes.  A couple of weeks seems to be what the cruise lines are going for at present, from what I can see.

Since CLIA are known to be trying to negotiate with the Government to try and find a more practical replacement for the current online submission of the PLF requirement for cruises, due to problems with connectivity at sea, I suspect there could be a difficult time ahead for any cruise line which is happy to leave passengers to order a two day test and also receive the reference number last minute, along with others filling in their PLF forms.  That is however a choice for the cruise lines to make

The thread I am mentioning is this one:-   

The first post of the thread shows a checklist of things "to do before you travel" which appears to have been sent by P&O to someone on that cruise:-

Remember to do the following before you travel:

tick.gif

Check your details are up to date in My P&O Cruises

tick.gif

Link your booking with your travelling group (if relevant)

tick.gif

Obtain evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination status

tick.gif

Arrange appropriate travel insurance and have proof of your policy

tick.gif

Register for the UK government's Passenger Locator Form (PLF). This applies to all cruises calling at ports outside the UK

tick.gif

Book a PCR test ready to take two days after you return home in the UK for all guests aged five years and above. Again, this applies to all cruises calling at ports outside the UK. All testing required for entry into the UK or country of disembarkation will be organised on board but you must organise the day two PCR test yourself. This is a requirement of the UK government and it is essential that you book it in advance as you need to provide the booking reference on the PLF

tick.gif

Bring a data-enabled device (e.g. smartphone or tablet) to complete the PLF re-entry documentation for holidays calling at ports outside the UK

tick.gif

Print e-tickets, boarding passes and luggage labels

tick.gif

Pre-book on-board activities in My P&O Cruises

tick.gif

Complete the Health Declaration in My P&O Cruises between one and three days before your holiday

tick.gif

Pack face masks and hand sanitiser

tick.gif

Pack black tie evening wear for Celebration Night

Edited by tring