Buyer Beware on Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit

cruzin4us

53 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

They recommend 2 per person. Each pack of 2 is meant for one person.

People REALLY need to understand this.  If you are relying on the self test as the primary testing method, you should have an extra test kit just in case.  Or a reliable backup plan. We have 4 home test kits currently but they are my backup plan in case we cant get appts for an in person test at CVS/Walgreens. 

It may not even be a faulty test but what if you drop it or there is user error. Or the internet drops out and you lose connectivity!  Unlikely I know but a testing problem is not keeping me off my cruise.  Well short of  positive result anyway......

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 3

I agree that the prudent cruiser should have two tests kits per person. If one test kit fails (like it did for us with no liquid in the vial), the company will offer to replace it. Follow through on that offer for future use. But, you are right that their offer of a new kit sent a week later does you no good at the moment.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:04 PM, Shelly97060 said:

Yes I agree ( wrong tests).  I took a look at the the kits you can order from Walmart and they are the over the counter version. When they arrive they will say OTC on the lower left front  corner of the box.  These tests aren’t monitored so they wont be accepted.  Maybe you can return them or cancel the order of not already shipped? 

you can pretty much tell which ones they are by the price. The OTC that are not acceptable cost about $20 - $24 for 2 tests & the proctored ones are about $69 for 2

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Yes,  the first kit I used mid-test had an empty liquid.  The Proctor asked for the box info, Lot #.

Then I had to call back & start over with another test kit, new proctor.

Next day I rec'd an email from Emed, then sent me a new 6 pack of test kits.

Replaced the 6 box for free.  Took a few days to arrive.  Nice, I wasn't expecting full replacement.

I had mentioned I bought the 6 pack of tests, so had plenty for backup if there was an issue.

You Can't order One kit anyway, they come in 2 or more.

Buying a two pack for 2 people, could be risky.

Other people had mentioned they had an empty bottle in one of their kits, so we knew

its good to have backup kit.

So yeah, definately have a backup test kits just in case.

• Like 2

Well, I just took my test (2 days prior to cruise) and it was so incredibly easy.   Highly recommend doing the at home tests.   If they could just fix the part about the soon to be expiring tests I would be much happier.   

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Well, I just took my test (2 days prior to cruise) and it was so incredibly easy.   Highly recommend doing the at home tests.   If they could just fix the part about the soon to be expiring tests I would be much happier.   

I signed up to be notified when the new batches are released,  November it looks like. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

I signed up to be notified when the new batches are released,  November it looks like. 

Can you tell me where you signed up to be notified? We have a cruise in March 22. I would like to order a set to be sure I can be ready for the pre-cruise test. Thanks

8 hours ago, kjg46 said:

Can you tell me where you signed up to be notified? We have a cruise in March 22. I would like to order a set to be sure I can be ready for the pre-cruise test. Thanks

Just go to emed.com and you’ll see the 6 pack  BinaxNOW ag card is out of stock.

There’s a link to be put on the waitlist.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Or, if you go to the webdite, move down to Cruise approved tests…..order here now…, you will see the link also.

They also email you back an acknowledgment that you’re on the list.

Very important for those traveling in

November and December to know.

They still have the smaller packs available in the 2 pack and 3 packs, 

but ask about the expiration dates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Just go to emed.com and you’ll see the 6 pack  BinaxNOW ag card is out of stock.

Thanks for this, I ordered previously and got tests that expire literally 2 days before our sailing.  I've gone on the waitlist for "fresh" kits which hopefully will get them in our hands in time.  Meanwhile, hoping the editing kits might get a further extension . . .

On 10/11/2021 at 4:54 AM, Markanddonna said:

I agree that the prudent cruiser should have two tests kits per person. If one test kit fails (like it did for us with no liquid in the vial), the company will offer to replace it. Follow through on that offer for future use. But, you are right that their offer of a new kit sent a week later does you no good at the moment.

Same here. My test went off without a hitch. My husband‘s vial was empty. Fortunately we had back up tests. 

I was looking at Fda.gov and the instructions say Different than what Proctors

are instructing During testing.  This causes concern.

FDA says,  "Firmly brush against insides of nostril in a circular motion 5 times OR MORE

FOR AT LEAST 15 SECONDS."

According to vids weve seen, and when we took our Tests,  Proctor is instructing spinning swab

inside nostril 5 Times, and watches you turn it 5 x. 

They did Not say,  FOR AT LEAST 15 SECONDS PER NOSTRIL.

This needs to be corrected,  or could be false negatives out there. 😳

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

FDA says,  "Firmly brush against insides of nostril in a circular motion 5 times OR MORE

According to vids weve seen, and when we took our Tests,  Proctor is instructing spinning swab

The home tests are having false positives around 15% of the time as it is

3 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Nothing is 100% it’s the risk you take. 

9 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Or, if you go to the webdite, move down to Cruise approved tests…..order here now…, you will see the link also.

They also email you back an acknowledgment that you’re on the list.

Very important for those traveling in

November and December to know.

They still have the smaller packs available in the 2 pack and 3 packs, 

but ask about the expiration dates.

Many thanks,  On the wait list,   All the Best

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 8:33 AM, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

It's all theater anyway, swab, swirl, dunk. When we took the test coming back to the US from Cancun, it was miraculous in that, the hotel didn't have a single solitary positive test.  It's like magic. 

9 minutes ago, Oklahoma Cruiser 2012 said:

It's all theater anyway, swab, swirl, dunk. When we took the test coming back to the US from Cancun, it was miraculous in that, the hotel didn't have a single solitary positive test.  It's like magic. 

I heard one member of a family was +, but  for $100 it would say negative. Hmmm