Venice — Embarkation at Fusina Pier

Herman The Cat

Just received our emailed docs for the Moon embarkation. I read somewhere on FB that the passengers went to Marittima for pre cruise Covid testing and check in, and then they were shuttled by bus overland to Fusina. The Cruise Ticket we just got doesn’t say that. It says only “ship will be docked at Fusina Pier” (that’s it!) and lists the local agent and local agent address/phone. Has anyone out there embarked at Fusina yet,, how did it work and how did you find out exactly where to go?

We’re spending a few days in Venice pre-cruise so we don’t have Silversea transfers. We’re planning on taking a water taxi to wherever we need to go. I want to make sure we go to the right place. 

Did you have your hotel call the local agent to get info?  Or did Silversea provide more specific info? I’m sure there are some of you out there that didn’t use the Silversea transfers.

I can't answer definitively, and hopefully someone on the cruise which departed from Fusina last week will give you more specifics, but... I think it's almost certain you will take a water taxi to the cruise port terminal at Marittima to drop your luggage, get your Covid test, and check in. There really aren't guest facilities to handle this at Fusina. If you don't get a follow-up email from SS shortly, I'd try calling them later this week.

Yes, please..more real time info!  I HOPE to board The Moon with  my daughters on October 14th.

There are so many uncertainties these days..everything  feels unsettled, and surreal. 

These Girls’ trips mean the world to me. As long as I know we will be sailing I really don’t care where we go. All I want to be is with my daughters at the right place at the right time.

Please keep checking in.

• Like 1

I can’t speak to the arrival at Maritima from hotels or airport but I can tell you a bit about check in.  We boarded last week & went by water taxis provided by Silversea from the island hotel.  I did see passengers arriving by van/car however.  The procedure was to get the antigen test after giving your identification, cabin # etc, proceeding to the waiting area after the swab for the 20’ish minutes for the results, then to the usual check-in, then sitting in another waiting area for the bus transfer to Furisma.  The ride was about 30 minutes through a dismal industrial area to the pier adjacent to the ferry loading pier.  Then there was a quick screening by Italian customs with hand baggage run through the X-ray & finally a 5minute walk to the ship…voila.  What a relief to finally be back.  

Happy sailing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Master Echo is onboard the Shadow at the moment - and would have been there at the time those screenshots above (from Marine Traffic) were taken in Fusina.

I'm sure he will be able to spread some light on embarkation. He has a thread for the Shadow sailing starting on 8th September.

• Like 1

Thanks, Les37B and Nowornever. 

Nowornever…

I suspect those arriving by van/car came from the airport or train station.

It sounds like you went to Marittima for all the pre-boarding testing, embarkation etc.? Or was it San Basilio? Marittima is the big port, San Basilio is a smaller pier, one level, closer to Venice,  and where the MSC ship hit the Unitworld boat(!). The address in the docs for the local agent is San Basilio. 

I’m good on the procedure (testing/swabbing etc.) as did that for the Moon in Greece so quite easy. Just trying to get a handle on logistics of where to go before Fusina.

Will keep everyone posted.

Folks

Copied  below is the relevant report from my current Silver Shadow report- 

Fusina port embarkation

I received an email from Barbara Muckermann prior to leaving home that all passengers had to go to the Port Marittima for pre-embarkation.  

Taxis at Venice airport were plentiful and there was a set price of 45 Euros to the port of Marittima.  In the past this port would have been thronging with cruise ship passengers, with many ships tied alongside the various berths.  On Sept 8th it resembled a ghost town, there were no ships anywhere and the two berths we were adjacent to had an air of neglect and decay.

We were shepherded into Pier 107 for the usual embarkation checks, plus a rapid Covid test, waiting the requisite 25-30 minutes for the result.  Assuming your test result was negative you were taken in groups to the waiting coach for transfer to Fusina port, a journey of some 30 + minutes.  Luggage was taken separately.

Fusina Port currently serves ferries to other ports in Italy and further afield, as well as light cargo vessels as there is no heavy overhead cranage.  I was told that facilities were going to be built to cater for cruise ships and while we overnighted there, the dock was being constantly dredged.

Alighting from the coach I passed through a small temporary cabin, which was used for security scanning of my hand luggage and me.  Then out onto the quayside, walking a few yards to the waiting open arms of Silver Shadow - for those who didnt’t feel able to walk the last few yards, a shuttle bus was available.

The whole operation from arrival at Marittima to embarking the Lady Shadow went like clockwork and seemingly this will be the regime for embarking passengers wishing to sail out of Venice in the future.  Lucky for those of us who will remember the sail past St Mark’s square!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 2

Herman

Yes I have still got the cruise ticket, and you are correct the agents address listed is San Basilio.  However remember, there are currently no facilities in Fusina, for any sort of offices, so these remain 'in town'. 

Embarking/disembarking in Venice direct from the airport or a land based hotel, is no more of a nightmare than it ever was.  Staying in Venice itself and using vaporetti to reach the ship, was always difficult particularly if you had several pieces of luggage which you had to manhandle yourself.

I have embarked multiple times  in Venice and had to manhandle my luggage from where the vehicle dropped me off,  to the point where the stevedores were prepared to assist.  This was at San Basilio and was a nightmare for elderly passengers incapable  of moving their own luggage with no one to assist.  

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, faucet said:

Embarking in Venice on Silversea is a nightmare of epic proportions and should be avoided ar all costs.

Unhelpful, to say the least, to make this comment without elucidating.

What could be a nightmare for some might only be an inconvenience for others. Those of us contemplating a possible Venice cruise would be interested in knowing what particular aspect of embarkation was so trying. 

Much of the ethos of CC is to help and inform other cruisers, not just slam in with an opinion.

• Like 3

Venice is NOT what it used to be.  Two years ago I was standing with the the owner of a palazzo  on the Grand Canal and one of those 5000 passenger behemoths went by.  We were on what used to be the ground floor.   He had a gorgeous mahogany runabout there.  The wake from the big ship was probably 5 feet high and bounced his little boat off the walls.  Fortunately this had happened so many times and he had everything lined with discarded tires.  Not so fortunate are those trying to board vaporettos  (water taxis used primarily by natives).  They get bounced around but good.  Think of trying to jump into a zodiac in 6 foot seas. It is no wonder the residents of Venice wanted these monster ships dispatched as far away as possible.   Yea, I know that's snobbish comment.

What it not snobbish are the crowds in Venice.  My standard joke is that you can have a heart attack in Plaza San Marco, around noon,  die, and not hit the ground until the thousands from the big ships depart, around 4:00 pm.  Once I was there and 6,  4-5000 ships were docked.  That's close to 30,000 people plus thousands of day trippers.  Think Times Square on New Year's Eve.

All these snarky comments aside, Venice can be a magical city.  If you can get there very early in the morning or late after the hordes of tourists have departed.  

• Like 3

The ban on large cruise ships cruising down the Giudecca Canal this summer was only the first of several measures moving forward to control Venice from being overrun by tourists. Recently, a law was passed to require day visitors to Venice to reserve and purchase day visitor passes, and pass through a turnstile entry system. This wouldn't apply to tourists staying at hotels in the city (who generate more local revenue, and already pay a nightly head tax)pre- or post-cruise, but I believe it would apply to cruise ship day travelers. 

Here's a short article about the coming of ticketed entry for Venice. And another

Details are still being worked out; some in Venice object to the entry turnstiles making the city seem like it's being turned into a theme park. But it seems apparent that there will be curbs on cruise ships disgorging tens of thousands of tourists for a day in the city. Will cruise lines be able to pre-purchase entry tickets in bulk? Should passengers purchase them on their own as soon as they become available? How will they be limited at busy travel times? Will cruises come to Venice but not be able to have some of their passengers actually visit the city? Will this lead to some cruises re-routing away from Venice? As is often the case, right now we have more questions than answers; the only thing that seems clear is that after banning large cruise ships from sailing through the heart of the city, more travel restrictions are coming.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no check in facilities in Fusina from where ships now sail.  Hopefully your TA will tell you that check-in is at Marittima.  This has been the case since September 8th when we sailed from Fusina on the Silver Shadow.

Eventually there will be a new terminal built at Fusina, but the days of sailing down Guidecca Canal have gone.

Enjoy your cruise

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Your electronic cruise ticket will have the embarkation info. When received it was not clear (all it said was “embarkation will be at Fusina terminal.”). My TA spoke to Silversea who got in touch with the port operations people who have since amended the instructions. I don’t have it in front of me, but it says something like pre-embarkation will be at Marittima, and for guests arriving by water taxi go to Marittima/Venice Cruise Terminal…after testing and check in you will be transferred by coach to Fusina. It was also confusing because Silversea used to dock at San Basilio and that address is listed for the local agent.

So Marittima/Venice Cruise Terminal is most likely where you will go. 

SThere is no check in facilities in Fusina from where ships now sail.  Hopefully your TA will tell you that check-in is at Marittima.  This has been the case since September 8th when we sailed from Fusina on the Silver Shadow.

Eventually there will be a new terminal built at Fusina, but the days of sailing down Guidecca Canal have gone.

Enjoy your cruise

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I do realise  that there has been conflicting information on where passengers arriving to embark a cruise from Venice should go to.  Unfortunately so many TA's seem to have  even less information and give out erroneous answers.

For an accurate and detailed account on leaving Venice from September 2021 - please read my earlier post of September 14th.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thanks for the responses.  According to my TA, we are to check in at Fusima. Has anyone heard directly from Silversea or their TA otherwise. I will try calling Silversea. Or we may go to Marittima first. If we can't check in there, then take a taxi to Fusina. By the way, this if for the embarking Venice on Oct 14.

From TA:

We asked the group coordinator at  Silver Sea about guests arriving prior to embarkation and here was their reply:

What about the guests going in early before embarkation day? Are they to make their way to the Fusina pier on their own and be tested there right?  

A-Yes .

You will not be able to check in at the previous Marittima port.